Anti-drainback valve?

What are your thoughts on the necessity of an oil filter with anti-drainback valve when used on an engine where the filter is mounted threaded side up? I'm looking at WIX 51060 vs. 51061 for a late-1980s 350. Is there some type of siphoning action that could draw the oil up and out of the filter after the engine is shut down? I read that theory on another forum, and my BS detector lit up!

I would say if you can get one with it then it eliminates the possibility of siphoning even if it would even do that is doubtful though.

A few of the previous threads on this topic that touch on your specific question:

A few of the previous threads on this topic that touch on your specific question:

Thanks. Opinions are like...well, let's just say everybody has one!

I just put this one in my cart:
1709658643031.jpeg

I believe it also keeps oil in the oil galleys/passages just above the filter.
It sure does! The mess of oil that pours out when I do a oil filter change on my hemi is a pain,when I can swap filters in the middle of a oil change cycle on my inverted filter Audi and barely a drop.

51061 drains into the pan without having to do anything else. 51061 does not have XP model as far as I know. 51061 also comes as racing filter but not recommended for street use. I’ve used them anyway. 51060 also available as XP but a hassle to drain after removal. No need for ADV on SBC in typical mounting. I think.

Which one is actually specified for that engine?

Looks like the LS9/LT9 350 (carb, used through '86) calls for the Wix 51061 or 51060XP. The L05 350 (TBI, used for '87 - '95) calls for the the 51061 and 51060XP for 2WD applications and the 51036 and 51036XP for 4WD applications. Oddly though is that starting for the '91 model year, Wix replaces the 51061 with the 51060.

This is all based on the C/K pickup model lookups from Wix's site.

He said "late-80's 350" so not sure which engine we are dealing with here.

Last edited:
Looks like the LS9/LT9 350 (carb, used through '86) calls for the Wix 51061 or 51060XP. The L05 350 (TBI, used for '87 - '95) calls for the the 51061 and 51060XP for 2WD applications and the 51036 and 51036XP for 4WD applications. Oddly though is that starting for the '91 model year, Wix replaces the 51061 with the 51060.

This is all based on the C/K pickup model lookups from Wix's site.

He said "late-80's 350" so not sure which engine we are dealing with here.
Looks like the 51061 is the only one without an ADBV (looking at the photos in your links). If they spec an alternative as you show with and ADBV, that's the one I'd use. As mentioned above, even if the filter is mounted base up low on the engine like this engine, the ADBV still holds oil in the galleries above the filter.

I have two 1985 l98 350's, and have used the Wix 51069 (no drainback valve or bypass). On the Corvette Forums, it has been stated that these engines have an ADV built into the block.

FWIW, I've never had any issues with either engine taking time to build oil pressure (it's pretty much immediate) nor do I hear any "knocking until oil pressure builds" types of noises on startup. So, I'm thinking having no ADV in the filter is acceptable.

I still have some Wix and will use them without worry, but the (very inexpensive) Ecogard filter for this engine (that I also have) does have an ADV.

When the Wix I have are gone, I'll be switching to the Ecogard for cost and quality, not the ADV, but am happy to have the ADV in the filter as a "belt and suspenders" type of deal.

I have two 1985 l98 350's, and have used the Wix 51069 (no drainback valve or bypass). On the Corvette Forums, it has been stated that these engines have an ADV built into the block.
Think the guys on the Vette forums may be misinformed. Those engines have a filter bypass valve in the block, but no ADBV.

Last edited:
Back