Taking new vehicle to dealership

Status
Not open for further replies.
As previously mentioned, you cannot dictate the repair or what parts should be repaired or replaced. Yea-I know it's your car. Respectfully - it's up to Ford and not you.

I had the same thing happen with a new Toyota 4Runner. They machined the rotors and replaced the pads-even though the pads had few miles on them.

The problem did not happen again. So-If I recall the above posts correctly, we have two examples of the rotors being machined and that solving the issue.

Last edited:
You sound like a bad customer. You think you already know what the problem is, and you think you know how they're going to remedy it, and now you're trying to think of what you'll say when they call. You sound combative already. Its a brand new vehicle, and I imagine Ford won't give you any stink about fixing it if a problem actually exists.

The Nissan Service Mgr replace the front rotors on my New CPO Altima with 3K miles on the car when I took delivery. They replace the rotors on that same day as I had a complaint.

The CPO car is a 4 month old 2015 dealer loaner car with 3000 miles, and the front rotors were pulsing quite a bit. I had complained/commented on this during my 2 test drives of the car(once by myself/another time w/wife).

The service dept claimed that they had "cleaned up" the rotors(not turned them) but, the pulsation was still present when I took delivery(actually worst than the test drives).

The Service Dept Mgr said that they will also replace the rear rotors under warranty(He Offered/I didn't ask) when I come back in June. But, they couldn't do all 4 rotors at once, due to possibly drawing a RED flag with NISSAN.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
The service department, and the sales department, are two different areas of the dealership. Go in, and talk to the service dept. manager. He won't give two [censored] where you bought it.
Yup, they bill the manufacturer for warranty repairs anyways.

Yes the warranty is nation wide but.............. Around here they'll tell you the wait for warranty service if you didn't buy a vehicle from could be a month or more. That's the polite way dealers tell customers to take their vehicles to the dealer they bought it from. It happened to me in 08 with my Liberty, and my father last month with his Subaru. Two different manufactures, and different owners of the dealerships. Come to think of it my nephew had the same issue with Kia. Maybe its a Long Island, NY thing. OTOH if the customer is out of warranty, they welcome the work, they get paid more for it.
wink.gif

We routinely purchase vehicles in Massachusetts and bring them to Florida for our fleet. I have never had any issues except the removal/reinstallation of the aftermarket equipment in the rare situation that requires it...

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Other thoughts?

If it was a problem from the day 1, then it should have been addressed then, not weeks later. That being said, just let them fix it and don't worry about something as trivial as resurfaced rotors.

I will let you keep the $5.00
Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Have a two week old 2014 Ford Edge. Less than 500 miles, and the brakes have been pulsating since we got it. So it is a "from the factory" problem, not one that developed during ownership.

Taking it to the dealership on Tuesday to get looked at. It is a different dealership than the one we bought it at because we bought it 70 miles away (we gave this other dealer a chance to match price and they wouldn't come close).

I know it is almost surely bad rotors. I think they will try to machine the rotors and call it too. However, I don't want there to be less material to dissipate heat. I also want pads matched to the surface of the rotors.

I'm trying to figure out how to handle things when I drop the vehicle off. One thing I plan to do is say I want them to call me before they actually do anything. Other thoughts?

They can only machine them so much, its stamped on the rotor. The dissipation of heat comes from the surface area and fins between inner and outer surface, not the thickness of the surface.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The service department, and the sales department, are two different areas of the dealership. Go in, and talk to the service dept. manager. He won't give two [censored] where you bought it.
Yup, they bill the manufacturer for warranty repairs anyways.

+1 What the heck are you others going on about? I've never, ever had a service department delve into the place of purchase. They don't car at all. With that said, they might give you a little more wiggle room if you've bought there once (and especially more than once) and complain to the sales manager, who may apply pressure to the service manager to keep a returning customer happy.

But, to say that a service department will tell you to pound sand , just because you didn't purchase the vehicle there doesn't hold water.

Also, I had pulsing brakes in my brand-new '06 Subaru way back when. They resurfaced he rotors and the rotors were still good to go when I traded cars with a buddy 36k miles later. The pulsing never came back and the brakes were in a great shape when we swapped cars with each other.

So, try to clean the surface with a few hard braking evolutions, and if that doesn't work take it in to the dealership and let them figure out how best to fix it.

I absolutely did, once. On my chevy... Took it to a dealer near me and got the line of it not being sold there,Mao they couldn't take it because they were too busy. So I went to a gmc dealer nearby who said they couldn't touch it,mout put me in touch with another dealer who took it right away.

On the way in, ask for before and after runout values on both rotors. If they cannot (will not) provide that, ask them if they just intend to throw parts at the problem hoping it will go away.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
On the way in, ask for before and after runout values on both rotors. If they cannot (will not) provide that, ask them if they just intend to throw parts at the problem hoping it will go away.

Yea-your method will make friends with everybody at the dealership.

He should - take it in....have them write it up and not worry about it.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

If it was a problem from the day 1, then it should have been addressed then, not weeks later. That being said, just let them fix it and don't worry about something as trivial as resurfaced rotors.

Unfortunately we didn't realize it until after we took delivery. It was a vehicle they got from another dealer over a hundred miles away from them, and we arrived at the dealer (about 70 miles away from where we live) to pick it up pretty close to when they closed. We pretty much signed the paperwork and left, thinking a new vehicle wouldn't have any problems. Hoped for a little while they were just dirty but the problem has gotten worse so we called earlier this week to take it in.

Originally Posted By: CKN

That's funny. I've never gone to a dealership to make friends.

He's already worried about it. Displaying some knowledge about the situation puts the dealer on notice that he's not going to accept a few half-assed tries and then wait for the warranty to run out.

He's already worried about it. Displaying some knowledge about the situation puts the dealer on notice that he's not going to accept a few half-assed tries and then wait for the warranty to run out.

The car has 500 miles on it. The dealer will fix the car the way Ford lets them. Even if in the OPs view it's "half [censored]". I sure wouldn't want anybody angry with me working on my car. This doesn't have to turn in to an adversarial relationship. Let the dealer fix it without Saturday Mechanics telling them how to do it.

Last edited:

I agree with you HangFire....but I would just be firm and try to avoid being abrupt if possible. Now if the dealers "fix" doesn't work or makes things worse, then I say you can get annoyed with them....It's best never to get overtly angry because that will make your situation worse. If it comes to that I would NEVER take my car back to that place again.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We routinely purchase vehicles in Massachusetts and bring them to Florida for our fleet. I have never had any issues except the removal/reinstallation of the aftermarket equipment in the rare situation that requires it...

That's usually not a problem buying in one state and getting service in another state. The problem here is if you buy a car from a dealer, and then go to their competition the next town over because their service department is better you'll get the line I mentioned in the post above yours. They'll even tell you to bring it back to where you bought it if you want faster service. Been there done that, and worked in dealerships that did exactly that. On occasion they've even gone as far as to check via the vin # where the car was purchased. Out of state no problem, local look out. LOL

Heck, some dealers shy away from warranty work because it does not pay as much as customer pays. BUT, by their contract with the manufacturer, they are obligated to do the warranty work whether they like it or not.

On the other hand, I certainly don't want the dealer to touch my car if he is resisting. I will take it elsewhere after dropping a dime on that dealer first.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: Garak
Warranties are supposed to be nation-wide. People move all the time and even dealers shunt vehicles to other dealers in other provinces.

Actually if ANY dealer refuses to honor the factory warranty on a product they sell, that store can lose its franchise. It's surprising to me that ANY service manager would state such a thing to a customer, it will likely get them fired if that customer calls it in to corporate.

Yeah, no. We are still private businesses. When it's obvious that the customer is going to be a problem, it's very easy to turn them away if the car was purchased elsewhere. A brake job is not worth a bad survey.

I'll give you an example. I had a guy come in with a brand new Taurus. There was very obvious chemical damage to the paint on the entire vehicle. Either it was vandalized or he damaged it himself while attempting to wash it; this is an insurance issue. He insisted that it was a factory paint defect, even after I explained to him that his body (damaged), bumpers (damaged), and door handles (damaged) are not painted at the same facility, let alone in the same process. Then he became irate. I told him to go to his selling dealer. He went home and called Ford. Ford called me. I told them "It's not a Ford issue and he's a V.O." Ford rep said "OK thanks." We didn't lose our Ford franchise. I didn't lose my job. The end.

This is not always true. When I had a warranty issue with my then two month old 2014 Mustang GT, I was told by the local dealer, who I didn't buy the car from since they didn't have what I wanted at the time, that they were not going to cover my warranty item because they claimed I caused the damage and to take it back to where I bought it and maybe they would do something for me. This was the service manager that I dealt with and who told me this. He obviously didn't want to do business with me since I didn't buy my car from them.

Wayne

It might not even be so overt as to tell you to take it to the selling dealer, it might just sit a while... you know ... busy... got PDI's to do... and such....

Depends. If it a big dealer and doing good a business - no one probably cares. If it is a smaller dealer, particularly if they are losing the sales war, they may care.

One things for sure, you go in demanding to be called before they perform warranty work you'll be tagged as a PITA right off the bat.

You'll have a lot more traction at the selling dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back