Modern Vehicle Dashboard

The glare from the screens are a big problem on exceptionally dark nights. Although the larger screens can often be turned off, there goes your functionality too. I'm a techie, and absolutely love properly designed electronics. However, these dashboard screens are all built by the lowest bidder and are annoying on a dark rainy night.

A better solution would be an OLED set of displays with a dedicated night mode, with no glare. As you know, OLED displays can turn off the pixels that are not used. So they could be used to improve results.

I asked Bing Create to come up with some images for you guys.

Infotainment 5.jpg

Infotainment 6.jpg

Infotainment 7.jpg

Infotainment 8.jpg

I hate the touchscreen IP on newer BMWs; there is no attempt to integrate the screen into the interior design. I also despise the move to eliminate physical buttons and switches.One look at that hideous tacked on screen caused me to replace a BMW with another brand for the first time in 38 years.
In contrast, I love the IP in my C43 and 4xe. Both can be configured to provide the information I want to see and there are physical controls for the HVAC and the audio system.

BMWs used to be known for their comprehensive, clear instrumentation.

The fact that, despite the flexible blank canvases screens now afford them, they choose to over-stylize, and make their current instrument displays hard to read is just another page torn out of that old book that made them appealing in the past.

BMWs used to be known for their comprehensive, clear instrumentation.

The fact that, despite the flexible blank canvases screens now afford them, they choose to over-stylize, and make their current instrument displays hard to read is just another page torn out of that old book that made them appealing in the past.

I must admit, as much as I adored my 2020 BMW 5 Series touring, the instrument cluster was an absolute mess and so hard to read. Annoyingly, if I'd had the car 6 months earlier the instrument cluster had standard round dials and was generally a far nicer affair.
[IMG alt="19-21 BMW 3 G20 5 G30 X3 G01 INSTRUMENT CLUSTER LIVE COCKPIT w/oHUD 12.3" high | eBay"]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUFVL-GuqT1JUQRHegQnuGgOh8DsEpJZ-z9klnCu5qjzojpzgS2TD-ON41iyNvxlPRJQM&usqp=CAU[/IMG]

Vs...

2018 540 different dash gauges? - BMW 5-Series Forum (G30)

Summer of 2022 I went shopping with my girlfriend who was buying a new vehicle. I hadn't been car shopping in many years, as I had no need to.
We both found it odd how many vehicles have a cheap looking tablet like device, apparently glued to the dash.
These tablet like things look to be worth about $12 or less, and zero incentive to build them in as part of the vehicle.

Anyone else find this trend tacky, and a turn off?
Besides being ugly, these big screens have one very serious disadvantage (which they share with digital dashboards realized by a screen): they are way to bright. You cannot dim them down to a level that does not impede your night vision.
Also, as we humans (as most animals) naturally orient ourselves towards a light source, they will seduce you to take your eyes of the road and look at the screen. Which means not only will your pupils narrow, but the eye will also focus on the short distance. After a few seconds of driving blind you will notice what you are doing, bring the gaze back up again through the windshield, but by this time your are night blind. Your eyes have to focus on far distance again, the pupils have to widen. Rinse and repeat over a couple hundred kms, and this adds very unnecessary fatigue.

Screens may look cool, but they make the car less usable. A car with big screens is for daytime use only.

I don't know why HUD's aren't more common? Maybe they actually cost money to make? A HUD with turn directions would be nice and a screen to set up navigation. HVAC and radio can be real buttons, some on the steering wheel, and some on the dash.
I imagine MB is working on some kind touchless HUD which looks projected out a few hundred feet in front of the car so your eyes don't have to lose focus.

HUDs would be a much better choice.

Last edited:
It's funny how they can design screens into the back of headrests on high end SUV's, just to keep the kids entertained. But they can't be bothered building them into the dash of many high end cars. Instead, it looks like they Super Glued an IPad on it.

It's funny how they can design screens into the back of headrests on high end SUV's, just to keep the kids entertained. But they can't be bothered building them into the dash of many high end cars. Instead, it looks like they Super Glued an IPad on it.
It's about $ and size of the screen itself. They save money on using a standard sized larger screen so the trade off is that it
s too big to inlay into the dashboard on most models. I imagine it also costs more as well.

Not a fan at all. I prefer screens that are incorporated into the dash. That being said, we have some 2024 Mustangs, including a Dark Horse, and I do like those.

I bought my 23 Mustang specifically to avoid the dash and the first-year production syndrome on the 24. But I'm an old guy for a Mustang buyer, the younger guys will love it.

My wife is passionate about avoiding the tablet glued to the dash thing that so many manufacturers do. She insists on another Edge when it's time, so I'm going to have to find a used one for her.

Generally agree. These
Agree most ugly. The worst is Toyota who puts a terrible plastic bezel around it because they want a smaller screen on lesser model trims.

My wife’s 2018 VW Tiguan looks good as they designed dash around it:
View attachment 192987View attachment 192987
Another example of VW doing it better 5 to 8 years ago than they are doing now. That Tiguan dash looks very similar to the one in my 2017 GTI.

Can you do one with just one big screen, about the size of a 4x8 sheet of plywood, with no buttons or knobs at all?
I couldn't get the AI to remove all of the buttons / knobs but it did give me larger screens. I am still new to prompting, which is the art of being able to describe what you want in a way that the AI best understands. Bing Create provides some shockingly great results with minimal information.

Infotainment 12.jpg
Infotainment 15.jpg
Infotainment 13.jpg
Infotainment 11.jpg
Infotainment 16.jpg

Back