Modern Vehicle Dashboard

New rant: I like a HVAC fan speed control that immediately responds. Cars and trucks these days have a computer give "soft speed changes" when the controls are operated. I want to take my attention off the road for as little time as necessary, don't want to turn a knob then sit there waiting for a response to see if it's what I want or if I should keep twisting the knob.

Oh yes, and radio knobs that don't operate quickly. When I start my truck, if I left the radio volume up a bit and I want to turn it down, I have to wait several seconds for the splash screen to go away first before it responds.

How these screens look is only part of the problem. Putting regularly used functions 3 layers deep on a touch screen menu is complete madness and thinking that doesn't make me a technophobe. Lets be realistic and acknowledge that the manufacture's haven't only done this to copy Tesla, they have done it because it's cheaper. VW in particular have received a lot of negative customer feedback in recent years and with sales falling have now gone back to more physical buttons for the latest models. That's a victory for common sense but it's a shame they had to experiment on the customer to get there. Physical buttons for the main functions needed when driving will be high on my list of requirements for my next car.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/volkswagen-id-2

Granted, my C43 does have the typical "iPad on the console" display:
1702679767151.jpg

However, the display in front of the driver can be configured in several different ways:
1702680100205.jpg

1702680135029.jpg

Contrast these with the "Let's just slap a generic rectangular display panel on the dash and call it a day." setup found on many newer BMWs:
1702680279170.jpg
1702679767151.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The M-B is better, but that is still much to busy.
I use the Supersport mode- the one with the tachometer dead center in the display. There are several options for the displays on either side of the tach. Normally I have boost, engine oil temperature, and ATF temperature displayed on the left and either fuel economy/range or navigation route information on the right. I don't find that to be complicated at all.

Back