Supertech may be changing

Of course since the pandemic the name brands have gone up at WM also, although you can usually find one cheaper than the others. I have so much ProDS I don't look that often though, usually when I need to buy a filter I eyeball the oil prices.

The price on Super Tech oil has risen significantly, since Pritzker bought out Warren Distribution. Compare the prices the next time any of you are in Walmart.
Yeah, the prices have sort of leveled off in terms of returning somewhat to the difference they were before, although not quite.

Mobil1 and all the others have had a price increase in the past few weeks, making the standard Mobil1 10,000 mile oil around $28 and the Super Tech 10,000 mile oil $22. And the Mobil1 EP is $32 and the ST advanced protection is $26.47.

I don't remember how different those prices would have been a year ago, but I think the difference was similar. But I'm still not buying the Super Tech anymore. Just removed the valve cover on my daughters 2008 Honda CRV...lifetime 5,000 OCI's using Super Tech and I was shocked at how much varnish/even a little sludge, there was under there. Would Mobil1 do better? Or something else? I have no idea, but I'm banking they would.

Reactions: wlk
The last time I talked to someone at WD, they told me they blend exactly as they are instructed by the recipe given to them by the end customer. WD doesn't formulate.
Here's a question for you: If WD doesn't formulate, does Walmart have a team of oil experts who formulate the oil for them? Put another way, where does Walmart get its formulation(s)?

It's been said that Amazon's oil and Costco's oil are the same as Walmart's oil. I have seen oil analyses that seem to support that contention. Since I'm somewhat of a dunce wrt understanding all the subtleties of an analysis, I have to say that what I've seen appears to be the same/similar/close enough. Any thoughts on that point?

SuperTech oils in the past were a really good deal. People bought them for the price and convenience of buying at their local Walmart. After looking at the prices of their Advanced Full Synthetic and their motorcycle oils, those price increases don’t offer a whole lot of savings. Examples of oils that are a little cheaper, on the Walmart shelves, is Quaker State Full Synthetic, FS Euro 5W40, and Havoline Pro DS Long Life.
I’ll be ordering Kendall GT-1 Max or SUNOCO ULTRA SYNTHETIC dexos1 from Petroleum Service Company.

Ok...well since you can't control how others respond you can choose to be offended by everything (your loss) or not participate (your loss) or you can let it be water off a duck's back and move on with life (your gain).

Making your statement treating people with kindness is right on but it is NEVER going to change how people respond and the only thing you have control over is how you choose to take the comment.
Or we can fix the root cause of the problem, which is people being rude for no reason.

It should be on the person being condescending to stop being condescending. The world should not need to grit their teeth and just deal with it...

Thanks for the condescending remarks.
No wonder many have stopped coming to the site, if you don't agree that is fine but don't belittle someone. Mag 1 used to have much higher amounts of moly,boron and other additives even AFTER meeting SP standards. WPP was taken over by the Pritzker family in a leveraged buy out and there have been those on the board that have wondered if the takeover would cause the oil to be made cheaper. It appears that this may be taking place. QS,Valvoline and others have much higher additives what happened the mid SAPS with them?

I understand your frustration to a point, but when you post here you will get members saying things that you might not like. You cannot expect the best oil at the cheapest price. We have seen this with various oils where they were good for awhile and then they may have gotten cheapened to a certain extent.

Everyone does still come to this site, they just might not post anymore.

I am a quite easy going person and I if I didn't have a rather thick skin I could have given a very rude response because blu was condescending no matter how you try and spin it. There are some here that have been quite harsh to others especially to those that are new. I have been a member of the board for many years, I don't post very much and there are others here that have been members for very long times that post little if any because of how some here conduct themselves. As far as oil changing. Yes the trends are changing but the takeover of Warren Distribution seems to have made an impact. Moly was 79 ppm. just a short time ago. Boron was close to 200 ppm. give or take a few. Zinc was in the 700 + range. While industry may be at play it seems rather ironic that these rather large drops in additives happened not long after the take over.
Your response shows a lack of understanding on how the oil formulation process works and the emerging changes to various API and OEM specifications. There have been many recent threads containing this information - you just needed to search instead of playing victim.

That's funny, because discussions like this never used to happen 20 years ago. Everyone was polite and helpful. Its just the way it was.
There is a lot more information available nowadays and there is an expectation for folks use the search function before asking redundant questions (and asking to be spoon-fed).

It should be clarified that Pritzker bought Warren Distribution, now Highline Warren.

WPP (Warren Oil) is a different company.
At one time it used to be called Warren Performance Products or Packaging,it was even on the bottom of the jugs not too long ago. If you go back and do a search you may be able to find a mention of it. When the WPP was dropped on the ST jugs people were unsure how to know they still bottled oil for WM.

Your response shows a lack of understanding on how the oil formulation process works and the emerging changes to various API and OEM specifications. There have been many recent threads containing this information - you just needed to search instead of playing victim.

There is a lot more information available nowadays and there is an expectation for folks use the search function before asking redundant questions (and asking to be spoon-fed).
I am not a victim and why do other oils have higher additive amounts? How does pointing out that additives have been lowered mean a person doesn't understand something? If this is the new trend then why have the majors not done this long before WH? You seem to be one of those that have little to contribute to a discussion so you insult. If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't comment. If you don't like the thread, don't comment. You are not being asked to participate. There are times when a search doesn't tell you that much and I haven't seen anyone discussing ST having there additives being reduced. While there may be some things that we don't know in its makeup I think it would be safe to say that if they had some special blend that the majors would have been doing it long before WH.

I am not a victim and why do other oils have higher additive amounts? How does pointing out that additives have been lowered mean a person doesn't understand something?
Blenders (e.g. Highline Warren) source additive packages from suppliers such as Infineum, Oronite, Afton, etc. Due to continued supply chain constraints, it is very possible that Warren is using a different additive package than before. Or, their additive supplier has revised the package in preparation for newer specifications such as Dexos 1 Gen 3. As they say, there are many ways to skin a cat, so it is possible to achieve the same performance outcomes using different (or lower) levels of certain additives.

Blenders (e.g. Highline Warren) source additive packages from suppliers such as Infineum, Oronite, Afton, etc. Due to continued supply chain constraints, it is very possible that Warren is using a different additive package than before. Or, their additive supplier has revised the package in preparation for newer specifications such as Dexos 1 Gen 3. As they say, there are many ways to skin a cat, so it is possible to achieve the same performance outcomes using different (or lower) levels of certain additives.

Yes there are different ways to do things but I think it seems odd that things have changed as they have regarding the new WH. I have used ST quite a bit and am using it at the moment. It was most likely as good as any of the majors but if the lower additives is the new trend why have the majors not done it before now? I am of the mind set that ST was above average and has been reduced to a "meets the requirements" at best oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
The formulas can change for various reasons such as a shortage of materials or the increased cost of materials. When you test a virgin oil sample usually what comes back from the lab is different then whats listed on the website. I tested a batch of SuperTech "Advanced" and the testing came back very positive.

SuperTech oils in the past were a really good deal. People bought them for the price and convenience of buying at their local Walmart. After looking at the prices of their Advanced Full Synthetic and their motorcycle oils, those price increases don’t offer a whole lot of savings. Examples of oils that are a little cheaper, on the Walmart shelves, is Quaker State Full Synthetic, FS Euro 5W40, and Havoline Pro DS Long Life.
I’ll be ordering Kendall GT-1 Max or SUNOCO ULTRA SYNTHETIC dexos1 from Petroleum Service Company.
There are people who still buys ST knowing it's the cheapest without looking at the price tag. I'm referring to those who just grab the item and put in the cart without looking at the price. There are so many shoppers out there of this kind.

Last edited:
Yes there are different ways to do things but I think it seems odd that things have changed as they have regarding the new WH. I have used ST quite a bit and am using it at the moment. It was most likely as good as any of the majors but if the lower additives is the new trend why have the majors not done it before now? I am of the mind set that ST was above average and has been reduced to a "meets the requirements" at best oil.
If you look at the UOA/VOA's of all of the major brands, all of the formulas have changed in recent years. The general trend is to move towards a lower SAPS content and this will affect the quantity of metallic additives seen in oil analysis reports.

Back