Sudden Gas Price Increase in Central Pa

Jumped here too. Could be had for $2.09 a week ago, now $2.25 .... Diesel $3.18 and pretty steady

Hyvee in Blue springs, MO had 87 e10 for $2.639

I got 27 cents off that with Fuel Savers (Fool) Saver's rewards.

At Casey's they are no longer selling 88 octane E15 at a discount. Now the same as 87 E10.

That's how a lot of fuel stations compete. One station raises to $3.25 then the fuel station across the street get's the OK from the managers to match that price.
This is exactly what happens. Around here, Speedway is the predominant station and are always the first to raise prices. The other stations simply follow suit.

One time I went inside after getting gas and joked with the workers (and manager who was with them) that "you guys haven't raised your price yet" and the manager said she or the assistant manager were heading out soon.... they drive around to the nearby stations to see what their prices are and will adjust theirs accordingly.

Take a look at how much the govt takes from every gallon.
Not really relevant. The amount that's tax is a fixed amount per gallon so whether gas is $2/gallon or $4.75/gallon, the tax amount doesn't change.

I was replying to the comment that said "But it is probably mostly corporate greed trying to get as much money as possible out of struggling families."
Your state govt takes 38 cents and the feds take an additional 18.4 cents per gallon. Meanwhile some states tax at a much much much lower rate. Yet we have been conditioned to think that the companies are the bad guys- please remember that those evil greedy companies have to:
*find the oil
*extract the oil
*transport that oil to a refinery
*refine the oil
*blend the gas
*transport to filling stations
*maintain retail filling stations
All while paying wages to the people needed to perform all of these jobs, putting out capital that they will not recover for years, and abiding by multiple laws and regulations. While the government has 0 risk in the game, sets all of the rules, has 0 upfront capital outlay, and puts their hand out and says gimmie my tax money. Yes the tax does not fluctuate, but thinking there is some corporate fatcat behind a curtain just waiting to pounce on grandmas last dollar needs to be qualified with - only after the goverment gets her share, in this case about 56 cents per gallon Meanwhile the gas companies profit is around 20 cents.

5 stations within a half mile radius that play the game. Usually QT takes the lead and raises the price 30-50 cents per gallon. Other 4 match it and then start the slow decline back down to where it was before over the next 2 weeks or so, a couple cents at a time. Currently QT was $2.71 for 87 E10 this morning.

This is exactly what happens. Around here, Speedway is the predominant station and are always the first to raise prices. The other stations simply follow suit.

One time I went inside after getting gas and joked with the workers (and manager who was with them) that "you guys haven't raised your price yet" and the manager said she or the assistant manager were heading out soon.... they drive around to the nearby stations to see what their prices are and will adjust theirs accordingly.
Speedway is definitely the problem here-they jump up for no apparent reason, then it's a race to hit the other stations before they follow suit! Top Tier Marathon or Shell for ~$2.80-ish, junk Speedway gas $3.19... :rolleyes:

Good public transportation can blunt the impact of these seemingly capricious price fluctuations.
Public transportation has NEVER been self-supporting, always requiring public funding of some level. In Pennsylvania, it takes the form of permanently rising tolls on the PA Turnpike. The drawdown on Turnpike funds is so severe, they always are in debt and struggling to maintain, improve or upgrade.

They better get on it-don't want a refinery "fire" right at spring changeover time! One of the great selling points of an EV-remove Big Oil's grip on the ol' cojones!
About five years ago a fork truck driver speared a pipeline that was crucial there and they had to shut the whole thing down. Gas went up in my area to $5 and almost immediately. Took a couple days to come down but still sat high. Probably a third of the gas in my area comes from there.

Speedway is definitely the problem here-they jump up for no apparent reason
Yeap, like I mentioned above, they constantly jack their prices up simple .... because they can (or want to). 😂 There's one at the corner near my work and I have a habit of looking at their price in the morning so I notice the change when I head home. If I need gas, I cross my fingers that Walmart/Murphy has held off raising theirs.

The Outdoor show is in Harrisburg this week and the stations in the area usually raise the prices then, that and farm show week and it goes back down afterwards. Carlisle does the same on the Carlisle Pike when the car shows come to town.
Well Sportsman show is over and all local stations came back down to $3.29, one went down to $3.19

Back