Subarus

I was at the Toyota dealer for an alignment and walked next door to look at Subarus. I have an interest in looking at a hybrid wagon. I was told they are not sold in Arizona.
The young man said they only sell on the east or west coast. I think it was a load of BS. Both the Toyota dealer and the Subaru dealership looked mighty thin on their new car inventory.

The young man said they only sell on the east or west coast. I think it was a load of BS.
It's true.

I was at the Toyota dealer for an alignment and walked next door to look at Subarus. I have an interest in looking at a hybrid wagon. I was told they are not sold in Arizona.
The young man said they only sell on the east or west coast. I think it was a load of BS. Both the Toyota dealer and the Subaru dealership looked mighty thin on their new car inventory.

Toyota has the new Venza Hybrid wagon.

Thanks. I figure if a Prius can work here ok a hybrid Subaru should also.

Is it a PZEV state thing or I wonder if it's one of those ridiculous vehicle distributor network things like Toyota has to go through that's the limiting factor at play.

From one of the articles Quattro Pete linked -
"Subaru Corporation’s plans are to only sell the Crosstrek PHEV in the 10 states that have adopted zero-emissions vehicle requirements, Colorado dealerships are telling customers. There are only nine states that have adopted California's ZEV program. They are Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Vermont. So unless you live in California or one of these states in the North East, you are out of luck.

The California zero emissions vehicle (ZEV) regulation requires automakers to offer a number of electric cars and trucks for sale with the number of vehicles is linked to the companies overall sales within the state. It forces automakers to spend their research and development dollars on all-electric technology."

I would like to get a Subaru Hybrid wagon before everything goes all EV. I like the AWD setup. It's basically like a Prius the way it is set up. You don't get stranded.
It's just a thought right now. So basically they can't build enough hybrids to meet the demand. I know someone and might be able to get a car from Ca.

My parents just got the 2021 Toyota Venza Hybrid and love it. It is like a computer on wheels. AWD, all the safety stuff, and they are averaging 44mpg. Plus, it isn't a plug-in hybrid like the Subaru.

I am warming up to the prospect of a hybrid for my next vehicle, but anything plug-in is a deal breaker. Simply do not want the hassle of dealing with having to plug something in. Yeah, I know it doesn't have to be plugged in, but then you aren't getting 100% efficiency out of the system.

Don't know. OP just said they weren't sold in AZ.
Weren't sold means not popular. Like all other retail outfits, dealerships have sales data available to them. They're going to supply product to the markets in which they'll have the best chance of selling. Could they sell a few hybrids in AZ to CA transplants...most likely yes. Since inventory is light, they're going to do what is smart & not play any guessing games as to how long will a certain model sit before selling. It's going to be sent directly to an area with the greatest possibility of creating a sale.

Back