Subaru purge valve operation

D60

Working on an '02 Forester normally aspirated.

Regarding the evap purge valve in the engine bay on passenger side of engine kinda tucked under the intake manifold: should you not be able to blow through it in either direction?

I cannot blow through from firewall to intake, which I believe would be normal operational flow. I can also clearly tell it opens/closes in test mode.

However I CAN blow from intake manifold port toward firewall in either electrical state.

I don't know if this is normal, or signifies a weak valve which would potentially cause a "small leak" code.

Working on an '02 Forester normally aspirated.

Regarding the evap purge valve in the engine bay on passenger side of engine kinda tucked under the intake manifold: should you not be able to blow through it in either direction?

I cannot blow through from firewall to intake, which I believe would be normal operational flow. I can also clearly tell it opens/closes in test mode.

However I CAN blow from intake manifold port toward firewall in either electrical state.

I don't know if this is normal, or signifies a weak valve which would potentially cause a "small leak" code.
I don't know anything really about these but do understand their function after internet reminder search. Just trying to think logically the valve doesn't open when blown towards the intake & the computer determines when that valve opens. That sounds normal. Now, blowing the opposite direction sounds like the way the valve moves or plunges allow for it to be pushed backwards & consequently opens. To me it sounds like it's working but I'd try to get a simple hand air pump gauge to check it's leakage blowing towards the front. If it holds then I'd imagine it's good. Then pumping it up again while activating 12v should release that pressure. Of course being an 02' anything is possible at that age.

My neighbor brought me the next gen purge valve from a parts vehicle (he didn't understand I was working on an '02) and you can not blow through it in either direction. Also from at least one video I watched he did not appear to be able to blow thru either port -- although he did not explicitly say that and videography was poor

O'Reilly is supposed to bring me a new Standard today so I'll be curious to see how it behaves

I just received a new purge valve from Amazon last night. While it is for a 2010 Hyundai instead of a Subaru, the valve restricts airflow in both directions when de-energized. Same circumstances for the purge valve I replaced on a Jeep last year.

Reactions: D60
Ok, O'Reilly showed up around 10a with the SMP. You canNOT blow through it in either direction when not energized.

I broke one nipple off the old one, which then became a fun game of extraction with a screw and a heat gun to soften the vac hose.

The few videos I found tout this r&r as "Easy!!" but I find it a moderate PITA solely because access and line of sight are limited.
20240424_114807.jpg

Ok, O'Reilly showed up around 10a with the SMP. You canNOT blow through it in either direction when not energized.

I broke one nipple off the old one, which then became a fun game of extraction with a screw and a heat gun to soften the vac hose.

The few videos I found tout this r&r as "Easy!!" but I find it a moderate PITA solely because access and line of sight are limited. View attachment 215887
You are almost home now! By the way, what was the CEL "small leak" code you were getting that triggered this repair?

You are almost home now! By the way, what was the CEL "small leak" code you were getting that triggered this repair?
Well, this time a P1443 which did not go away from previously replacing the vent valve at right rear, and P0442.

The owner also complained of hard starts after filling up.

I stumbled upon this thread where a new purge valve actually can cure the 1443, and almost surely causes the hard starts after filling

I can't be sure the P0442 was from the purge valve, but we're gonna find out!

I just ran thru the self-testing mode again and confirmed that when not energized I cannot blow EITHER direction when installed in vehicle, so I'm sure the old valve was bad

Nice to have a new part for troubleshooting. Good work & hope it removes the CEL. Does this Subaru have over 150k?

Back