Speed Enforced By Aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of those bay bridges around Tampa, FL. the cops use a helicopter to catch people speeding on the bridge. Huge gang of cops riding on motorcycles lined up at the end of the bridge waiting for the chopper to call out the next victim. Not sure how they were measuring speed.

The state of Iowa has a few airplanes , used primarily on I80 and I35 around Des Moines and I 380 in Cedar Rapids , I listen to them all the time , Pilot to ground , "Ok we have the red tractor white trailer leftlane , 1/2 out 82 , 82 ,81 , yes 355 you have the correct unit" The things I do for entertainment when traveling tall corn country

I have hear that 30 years ago when someone go a ticket. I don't think TX uses them añy more. My be a victim of budgetary constraints.

Originally Posted By: DallasTexas
I have hear that 30 years ago when someone go a ticket. I don't think TX uses them añy more. My be a victim of budgetary constraints.

Your screen name reminds me of a song by Tum Tum. "Its Dallas Texas, disregard what you heard." Its a good song..

lol I had no idea so many places actively used aircraft. If I ever got nailed I'd probably be a laughing fool just to see the look on their faces as the reaction is priceless. Though, I thought POP Instant-On Laser was the speed weapon of choice.

How they measure speed FROM a moving object..

Originally Posted By: Nitronoise
The state of Iowa has a few airplanes , used primarily on I80 and I35 around Des Moines and I 380 in Cedar Rapids , I listen to them all the time , Pilot to ground , "Ok we have the red tractor white trailer leftlane , 1/2 out 82 , 82 ,81 , yes 355 you have the correct unit" The things I do for entertainment when traveling tall corn country

II know someone lives in IDAHO but not Iowa. Iowa has tests I took in 3rd grade. I did well.

Virginia?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: horse123
Yeah I don't know why you'd bother stopping if you were on a "superbike", especially if you knew you got caught at a high enough speed to carry jail time. Just go for it, the bike should be faster than the plane if the plane wanted to pursue you.

Well, as a wise old cop once told me, "My radio is faster than your car". Also, while a Japanese liter bike is much faster than a C172, the Cessna can fly in a straight line while the guy on the bike has to follow the road.
Finally, they can always block the highway with a couple of cruisers and I'd hate to think of what hitting stop sticks would do to a guy on a bike at speed.
I successfully eluded twice but I was young and dumb at the time.

Directly from a cop: if a halfway decent rider on a sportbike, a big-bore sport-tourer, or a big adventure bike takes off, he gets away about four times in five. They are so quick they can basically outrun the organization of the pursuit.

Also, in some rural areas, you CAN outrun the radio...because there is simply nobody else to join the pursuit!

They circle with a cessna here. But it's usually pretty high and far. I see it over my house but hard to see on interstate.

Speed=distance/time

They use timing marks for the distance, and what ever stop watch method for the time.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Speed=distance/time

They use timing marks for the distance, and what ever stop watch method for the time.

Is that what those random patches of white parallel painted lines on the highway are?

Yeah I don't know why you'd bother stopping if you were on a "superbike", especially if you knew you got caught at a high enough speed to carry jail time. Just go for it, the bike should be faster than the plane if the plane wanted to pursue you.

Perhaps you have a misunderstanding of how aircraft patrolled highways work.

First, and by far most important, you will rarely if ever, know that you have been clocked by an aircraft until a trooper in a patrol car pulls you over. Second, most modern Cessna 172 variants have a top speed of 140 mph or more. I could be wrong here, but after a super bike maneuvers through traffic, slows down to take an off ramp, and maneuver corners, it's effective overall speed isn't going to come close.

But if some guy on the bike is so [censored] bent on endangering himself and everyone around him, all to escape responsibility for his actions, then I'm sure that at least one patrol car can get close enough to take his license plate #, let him go for the time so he doesn't kill anyone, then track him down later to haul his sorry butt to jail, for many more offences than he had originally committed.

When recently taking a cross country vacation, I noticed the distance markers used by planes to clock speed, on highways in a number of Mid-Western states. I suspect aircraft speed enforcement is still quite common.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Speed=distance/time

Is that what those random patches of white parallel painted lines on the highway are?

Yes that's it. Look likes like the sideline hash marks on a football field.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Speed=distance/time

It would be such a shame if vandals dumped black paint on top of them, wouldn't it?

I wonder if the police departments are required to measure the distance between the marks before every shift to ensure they are the correct?
I wonder if a lawyer could use that type of information to fight a ticket, if it turned out that the marks used were not the correct distance apart from each other, and that lead to a false speed reading?

BC.

Speed=distance/time

That is why you see big white lines on the interstate, those are timing marks for aircraft. Here in Illinois they showed up somewhere in 2006, but because of budget problems, I seriously doubt they fly them anymore.

We don't even hear ads on the radio anymore about extra enforcement...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I always see those signs when I'm in California. I always laugh too, cause I highly doubt California has the money to pay for an aircraft to track cars speeding. If they do, then that's one reason they are broke.

CHP has 30 aircraft, 15 are airplanes. All are multi-role.

I've talked to the local officers, they stay very busy.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Well, as a wise old cop once told me, "My radio is faster than your car". Also, while a Japanese liter bike is much faster than a C172, the Cessna can fly in a straight line while the guy on the bike has to follow the road.
Finally, they can always block the highway with a couple of cruisers and I'd hate to think of what hitting stop sticks would do to a guy on a bike at speed.
I successfully eluded twice but I was young and dumb at the time.

Radio is instant, yes, but they have to be really quick to get cop cars at the nearest exit because otherwise you're quickly out of their jurisdiction and they can't initiate a chase.

Just take the speed limit (65 MPH) and convert it to feet:

65 * 5280 / 3600

and you get 95.333333 feet/sec.

Paint some lines 953 feet apart. If a car gets from point a to point b in less than 10 seconds, it's speeding. If it does it in 9 sec, it's going 65 * 10/9 MPH or 72.2 MPH. And on and on.

I got caught speeding by an airplane cop in the 90s in WI. They gave me my average speed between the hash marks. I didn't fight it because I was obviously speeding. Cops cars were waiting on the other side of the overpass on the on ramp. I had to exit at that exit. The state trooper backed out onto the cross road and stared at me. I just waited at the stop sign until he motioned for me to pull out and pull over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back