Some Californians may have been filling up on bad gas for years

First the smarty pants comment, we have been fed bad gas in CA for years. My mpg dropped from 20 to 17 as soon as oxygenated fuel was foisted on us. The MTBE used to oxygenate the fuel turned out to be a real mess. On topic, it would be interesting to know where this fuel was sold. I lived in San Diego County for 50 plus years. Wonder if they recycled any leaded fuel into the mix?

First the smarty pants comment, we have been fed bad gas in CA for years. My mpg dropped from 20 to 17 as soon as oxygenated fuel was foisted on us. The MTBE used to oxygenate the fuel turned out to be a real mess. On topic, it would be interesting to know where this fuel was sold. I lived in San Diego County for 50 plus years. Wonder if they recycled any leaded fuel into the mix?
I don't believe MTBE is used anymore?

Since the mid 2000s it's been Ethanol/Gasohol

Bottom line the consumer was paying for "fresh" fuel and wasn't getting it. That's called fraud. All the other EPA, permits etc will just be tacked on the charges. I always heard about California's bad gas. Well we now know why.

California. The cynical side of me says taint the gas so the cars run crappy, and maybe people on the fence about buying an EV will make the change. ;)

Don't scrapyards remove all fluids when the vehicle arrives? I'm sure it burned just fine when mixed. This seems more of a permitting issue (ie transporting "hazardous waste") in the eyes of the State of Calif.
This seems odd that "old" fuel is considered hazardous waste yet fuel from a refinery isnt? How does that work? If a few junkyards were getting a constant supply of vehicles then yes the tanks are drained when they arrive. The issue is that some vehicles may have sat for years with gas in them.

Back