Some Californians going to Tijuana, Mexico for cheaper gasoline

Here is a good source, not debating with you, its well known for the first time in history or better said in the last 5 years CA has more people moving out than in. Agree losing population as a percent of the US population. The last 5 years CA population growth itself has been flat.

Texas since you brought it up is blowing away CA with growth, its just a fact. CA 6% population increase in ten years, Texas 16% increase.
Texas gains 2 house seats, CA loses 1 seat, first time in 170 years it lost a seat.

There is something to be said in numbers, much like the stock market, traders watch numbers and dump stocks on a downward trend.
Im not knocking CA in anyway, just presenting numbers and facts. They are facts and with the government site you see posted, you will see that with a lot of high taxed states. I mean, lets me realistic, the benchmark for highest gas prices in the nation are CA. Some of the highest electric rates are from CA and other high taxed states in the northeast.

This is a GREAT government site, Texas will come up but you change change it to any state.

Electric rates by state (not a government website and we also know localities can be higher or lower)

I wont comment any further on illegal aliens because it can lead to political discussions. This again is just fact, you state Texas as second highest, Ill accept that you are correct without checking, we already know everything Texas tries to stop it and we know the states that provide sanctuary.
This is all available information on the internet, One just needs to look at a map on the internet at the HUGE border that Texas needs to protect compared to the tiny little border CA needs too. Lets also remember in addition to that huge border with Mexico that Texas is 68% larger in size then California.
Mexico - Texas border = 1,254 miles
Mexico - California border = 137 miles

PS. I am more than happy paying $3.60/3.70 a gallon for gas compared to CA or even my old state of NY and almost exactly half the cost of electricity too due to our local electric co-op. We average 10 to 11 cents kWr.

*LOL* True story! I was just paying my electric bill and thought of this thread, I was just paying my SC electric bill and thought I would post it or it would seem impossible to believe!
Every year if our electric co-op doesnt need all the money they collected the previous year it gets returned to us at this time of year.
View attachment 94368
I used to live in a city with its own municipal utility and it was cheap. Two price tiers and both were less than Pacific Gas & Electric’s lowest. That’s kind of what happens with a private, regulated monopoly. Some of it is going to paying off settlement for gas pipeline explosions and power line started wildfires.

I got the numbers from here.

California and Texas are the states hosting the biggest populations of undocumented immigrants in the U.S.,according to estimates by Pew Research Center. The two states were supporting undocumented populations of 2 million people and 1.6 million people in 2017 respectively. New York, Florida, Illinois and several more states along the Eastern seaboard also have a large population of undocumented people.

As for population growth and housing, I could see how Texas does it. I knew someone from Texas who was an intern at my company. Said the deal with growth and housing was all the land they had for housing availability. He said there would be huge swaths of undeveloped land in the middle of cities that weren’t designated open space. That’s the primary difference.

The last time I went to Tijuana was for a bacon wrapped hot dog.

The times they are a changing.....

Mexican hot dog -
Traditional Mexican version of a loaded hot dog. Tijuana dogs, also known as Sonoran hot dogs, are a style of classic hot dog in which the beef or pork frank is wrapped in bacon, cooked until crispy, and then piled into a bun with pico de gallo and lime crema with avocado.

I like my Tijuana dos with just the bacon and cooked until crispy. I pass on the pico de gallo and lime crema with avocado.

View attachment 94356
Street food is the best food. Elote and The burgers with jalapeños are also delicious.

As for population growth and housing, I could see how Texas does it. I knew someone from Texas who was an intern at my company. Said the deal with growth and housing was all the land they had for housing availability. He said there would be huge swaths of undeveloped land in the middle of cities that weren’t designated open space. That’s the primary difference.
I've only been to Dallas area once, and drove from Dallas all the way to Corpus Christi and back, stopping by many cities along the way, so it is only my limited understanding on how things work in the real estate part of it:

They have a LOT of flat lands, compare to California. You don't see those bay surrounding a peninsula, you don't see huge mountains separating climate within 15 mins of driving, you don't see huge area you cannot build cost effectively as the lands are pretty flat, you have tornado and hurricanes instead of fault lines (usually mountain ridges), etc.

So much land, you can just build a 4k house on a 10k lot, live there till it gets old, then buy a new one and sell the used house to the next guy like we buy cars, you don't need to tear them down and rebuild them, or in San Francisco lift up a Victorian, replace its foundation, gut all the walls, put the frame down, and call it a remodeling of a 100 year old house. You can keep building new communities further out (Allen was the last I saw where my brother-in-law moved to, there's still undeveloped land there).

Once everyone can afford a house, have a lot of personal space, you don't have to deal with each other all the time and you can decide what to spend or not spend your money on. You can use toll road if you want to live away from others, you don't need to worry about sharing the same public school with people 2 miles away, you don't need to tax everything because you will be the only one using what you build, or only people in your own neighborhood, so you can use all sorts of way to pay for them but tax (call it toll, HOA fee, private road, service fee, whatever you want to call it).

Having a big oil industry there also encourages urban sprawl, because it "helps the local economy" when you use more fuel, and fuel is cheap there because they are "local".

If you cram 20x the people in the same space as Texas that strategy probably won't work anymore. Due to the landscape in California (SF Bay Area in particular), this probably won't work at all. You can't fence off a commute artery and make it a toll road without political problem, you cannot tear down a historic building and turn it into a McMansion without political backlash, you also cannot plow away an old pier to build a luxury condo either, someone who "grew up near there" would always oppose you.

You are presenting opinions, not facts.

Facts: California is expensive, and some people are leaving.
Facts: People moving here because of the income opportunities, if they can find better deal here they will come, and if they find elsewhere cheaper with same income or just slightly less, they leave.
Fact: Texas is cheaper than California, and Texans have lower income than California because of market force (lower cost of living so people don't need to be paid as much to be happy).

Your Opinion: California is expensive because of politics, the main reason people leave California is because of politics.
My Opinion: The main reason people are leaving is because of the real estate market being too hot, too many people came in the last 2 decades for the boom and now we are out of housing.
My Opinion: One day Texas will have the same problem California has when their population gets big enough and they run out of virgin land to build housing and workplaces.
My Opinion: One day people will realize politics won't save you from demand and supply in real estate in a crowded place. Moving to a less dense area, make less money, buy a cheaper home, may be a better choice for you.
My Opinion: People who got a good offer to move to an expensive place for A LOT OF MONEY should still move, even if the cost of living is high. In the end you can have a much better opportunity in career, and you can afford to live better, retire better, and you can always retire in a cheaper place when you are done working.
The main reason for people leaving CA is quality of life per dollar and has less to do with the real estate market. There are plenty of rentals for 30% of your income available in LA. But if you compared what the dollar amount gets you for a median salary vs some other market, there's no comparison. Would you rather live in a 1950s constructed apartment with no insulation, no parking, window AC unit, and gas wall heater? Or a new construction with modern amenities? Around here "luxury" apartments are those with in-unit washer dryer and a dish washer. 😂 The demand provides little incentive for affordable, new construction.
You cannot separate the politics from the exceedingly high costs; they're intertwined. Construction costs are high, regulations are high, taxes are high, and big real estate lobbyists get whatever they want passed. Even if you take a 10-15% hit on your wages, the cost of living and quality of life will be better outside of LA. This is a big country and with the workforce ability to work remotely, there's little reason to be in a big city. I expect a gradual decline in big cities, this is not a temporary phenomena.

And Americans are crying like babies have to pay over $4/gallon (those of us outside California*). Just curious, do the elected officials in Finland set the price of gas 'cause apparently they do here. 😂

* When sensationalism is needed, the media likes to refer to California gas prices.
officials are Shell and Neste😁 Then goverment puts 70% taxes on that

The main reason for people leaving CA is quality of life per dollar and has less to do with the real estate market. There are plenty of rentals for 30% of your income available in LA. But if you compared what the dollar amount gets you for a median salary vs some other market, there's no comparison. Would you rather live in a 1950s constructed apartment with no insulation, no parking, window AC unit, and gas wall heater? Or a new construction with modern amenities? Around here "luxury" apartments are those with in-unit washer dryer and a dish washer. 😂 The demand provides little incentive for affordable, new construction.
You cannot separate the politics from the exceedingly high costs; they're intertwined. Construction costs are high, regulations are high, taxes are high, and big real estate lobbyists get whatever they want passed. Even if you take a 10-15% hit on your wages, the cost of living and quality of life will be better outside of LA. This is a big country and with the workforce ability to work remotely, there's little reason to be in a big city. I expect a gradual decline in big cities, this is not a temporary phenomena.

Unless a child (now an adult) inherited their parent’s home in California, the likelihood they can afford a $1M+ house after college is slim for 90% of all folks looking to buy a home. Even new doctors are struggling and tight on money after graduation.

Not everyone can work STEM type job with nice stock options and big $$$ pay.

Last edited:
Unless a child (now an adult) inherited their parent’s home in California, the likelihood they can afford a $1M+ house after college is slim for 90% of all folks looking to buy a home. Even new doctors are struggling and tight on money after graduation.

Not everyone can work STEM type job with nice stock options and big $$$ pay.
I work in STEM and I can't afford that. I work remote as well. The only reason I'm anywhere near here is my lady's work and family.

Back