How old is too old for tires?

Tires on my 17 Regal GS are 2016 with 25K, plenty of tread an sidewalls look good, Pirelli P Zero's, car is garage kept. checking the web anywhere from 6 to 8 years is recommended. would hate to have to buy new tires with these looking as good as they are. Only complaint is that they are getting noisy.

I have those tires on my SUV and they are noisy also . I dont go by age so much but go by looks more . If there dry rotted I might replace them .... never had that problem tho .
Another thing to consider is :
Is this a car driven everyday to work on the highway or driven only on weekends around town . With a car driven everyday on the highway you may NOT want to take a chance with them and replace them .

Last edited:
After about 10 years my tires have a Shore A durometer rating of about 90 @ 60F which makes them basically blocks of wood. But mine aren't garaged.

Great question. Tires seem to be all or nothing. There really is not a tire that "doesnt really work all that well". I would look for dry rot in the sidewalls.

Some may cringe at this practice, but PB Blaster seems to give life to rubber. Some rubber, making it more supple. Of course this should be done cleanly with a wipe on and precision spray, but might help elongate the life. I spray my bushings and body mounts with PB every other oil change, and they are 25 years old, and look pretty good.

I have no scientific data to back this up, just personal experience.

Tires on my 17 Regal GS are 2016 with 25K, plenty of tread an sidewalls look good, Pirelli P Zero's, car is garage kept. checking the web anywhere from 6 to 8 years is recommended. would hate to have to buy new tires with these looking as good as they are. Only complaint is that they are getting noisy.
Depends on how hot things get in your area and how heavy your vehicle is.

On a diesel Suburban the tires blow after about 6 years but on my small cars the tires last 20 years if they don’t wear or are rotten.

Worth noting my area stays a lot cooler then yours.

Next, contrary to popular belief blowouts happen all the time, if you have a spare and keep the oldest tires on the rear it’s really not a huge risk just an irratition to have to put on a spare

I knew a guy who had a cheap 1985 little GMC Jimmy. It was like a toy. He only drove it within his town I doubt he ever got over 40 mph. At 35,000 miles and thirty years, it still had the tires that came on it. With white walls.
If your like all the guys I meet from Texas that say the speed limit is 120 it’s best to change tires often but if you live in a cool area and don’t drive hard, fast or near weight limits you can get away with old tires, best to toss at 10 years, though admittedly like fathers 100 year old wood trailer that is light and used for yard waste has 25 year old tires with innertubes.
If only moves 25 mph and under 3 miles at a time, if it blows it’s not a huge deal.

Keep an eye on them and toss if there are any undulations, cracks, or stuff that looks like dry rot, not worth it if you drive far from home fast.

My experience is that old tires always give a little warning when they are done, if you are smart enough to inspect often and not push things you will likely notice when the tread needs tossing.

The Michelins on my volt never went past 8 years because they always got a bulge or undulation in the tread like clockwork at 8 years.

Last edited:
After about 10 years my tires have a Shore A durometer rating of about 90 @ 60F which makes them basically blocks of wood. But mine aren't garaged.
A " shore A durometer rating " of about 90 . If that's the case ..... then you definately want to replace them . Oh wait .... let me Google durometer rating . I'll be right back .

Get new tires. The sun is hard on tires, and 8 years in California will wear them down.

The good news is that it's worth getting new tires on it because the car doesn't have any rust on it.

PZeros don't seem like they'd last much more than 25k anyway, as max performance summer tires aren't known for long treadlife :sneaky:

It depends. If you can discipline yourself to never drive the car over 35-40 mph, as in the example @k1xv shared, I would be willing to continue to drive on a set of tires like that. That would be with the condition that the dry rot on the side walls isn't too bad. Here is the guideline that Michelin recommends for big truck tires. If the dry rot is over 2mm wide, don't drive on the tires.

1709425930520.jpg

Most tire manufacturers these days seem to recommend a maximum of 10 years, including Michelin and Continental. For a car that's stored in a garage, away from UV exposure and hot weather, I wouldn't hesitate to even go a bit longer if they still perform well, and if the rubber isn't really hard or starting to crack.

I'm often using tires that are close to 10 years old, sometimes older, with no issues, but I tend to have two sets for summer and winter, so each set is stored inside for half the year. It might be a different story if they were baking out in the sun for 10 years.

I think those tires are fine because you only drive from the garage to the mailbox at the gate and back! ;)

Back