Slingshot for home defence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Olas said:
With the exception of full automatics and rpg's/grenade launchers, you can have pretty much whatever you can show that you need.

Similary, if the FLO doesn't agree that your need meets the standard, he doesn't issue the certificate.

By the same token, do you have the right to drive? Or the right to drink clean water? Why the licensing or paying for a right?

Driving a car and polluted water are more dangerous to the public than firearms.

I agree 100%
I need to drive a car and drink water, but I don't want idiots with weapons. Plenty of them unfortunately in my neighborhood. I had to stay in my car for the coast to be clear after coming home from the grocery store as the neighbor was doing target practice and stray rounds were clipping branches in my driveway.

I live in the Utopia of Southern NH
smile.gif

In nearly 60 years the only friends that died from gunfire where those who pointed the gun at themselves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Those slingshots would get you $10,000 fine and/or 2 years in jail down here....

Any item constructed, bought, improvised or otherwise, if it may be considered 'particularly dangerous'?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Here is an example of the government's plans to implement gun control.

Link

The "Government" has no long range plans..it is not a thinking entity. The only things that drives policy is politicians desire to be re-elected. Don't spend more than 1 second/day worrying about the Gov. "taking your guns"...it just ain't happening.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Here is an example of the government's plans to implement gun control.

Link

The "Government" has no long range plans..it is not a thinking entity. The only things that drives policy is politicians desire to be re-elected. Don't spend more than 1 second/day worrying about the Gov. "taking your guns"...it just ain't happening.

I'm sorry but they do have such plans and they are working very hard to take away our guns. So far they are restricting gun ownership and taking the process one small step at a time. Just listen to all the politicians that claim gun violence is increasing and now it's out of control when the FBI numbers don't agree. They believe that whatever they say is the truth and we won't challenge them.

To clarify, I wasn't seriously asking about its viability, I just wanted an attention grabbing title so people would read see e video..

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Can you legally own any sort of gun in England?

With the exception of full automatics and rpg's/grenade launchers, you can have pretty much whatever you can show that you need.

No. Not even close.

My word, man! Do you live in a bubble of fantasy?

Semiautomatic rifles are banned, as are handguns, semiautomatic shotguns, and pump shotguns.

You may own a rifle, or shotgun, if, and only if, you can prove to law enforcement that you have a need for it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/sy...ing_Law_v13.pdf

Basically, you're banned from everything that is appropriate to self defense!

Last edited:
I'm sorry but they do have such plans and they are working very hard to take away our guns. So far they are restricting gun ownership and taking the process one small step at a time.

They're losing, not winning. Look at concealed carry. It was unheard of 20 years ago. Today most all states have it. More guns are owned by more people today, than ever before. Especially semi autos. More women own guns as well. Many of them are designed and colored just for them. They're selling like hot cakes. Look at Internet gun sales alone. Literally millions of guns are being purchased on line. That never existed 20 years ago. Ammo being delivered by the case, right to your door with just the click of a mouse.

The states that have restrictions have always had them. Across the board gun ownership is up, and more people are seeing the total lie of gun control being exposed for exactly that... A lie. If the government has a "plan" to take guns, it isn't working very well.

Originally Posted By: billt460

They're losing, not winning. Look at concealed carry. It was unheard of 20 years ago. Today most all states have it. More guns are owned by more people today, than ever before. Especially semi autos. More women own guns as well. Many of them are designed and colored just for them. They're selling like hot cakes. Look at Internet gun sales alone. Literally millions of guns are being purchased on line. That never existed 20 years ago. Ammo being delivered by the case, right to your door with just the click of a mouse.

The states that have restrictions have always had them. Across the board gun ownership is up, and more people are seeing the total lie of gun control being exposed for exactly that... A lie. If the government has a "plan" to take guns, it isn't working very well.

Exactly. Before say 1987 there was only one "shall issue" state and that was Washington (1961).then Florida in '87 and that opened up the floodgates. I got mine in 1989 in Pa. Some folks chose to ignore what youy and I know to be fact.

The other reason I* choose not to worry is that I am 69. The Government does not have enough body bags to collect guns (will be needed for the "collectors" ).

Sure some politicians want to implement it but people won't stand for it. As you pointed out their "plan" (of which there is none)...isn't working.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Those slingshots would get you $10,000 fine and/or 2 years in jail down here....

Any item constructed, bought, improvised or otherwise, if it may be considered 'particularly dangerous'?

Used to be that a wristrocket, wrist braced slingshot was the only one.

Now a store bought one, or a home manufactured one that is more substantial than a "children's toy" are all classified the same.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Here's a Detroit police view on guns.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jul/16/detroit-police-chief-no-question-my-mind-legal-gun/

They say that now because they have no other choice. Today the average response time for the police in that city can be up to 40 minutes..... If they come at all. Back in the day when it was booming economically, with the auto industry in full swing, and it was a union loving, liberal Democratic stronghold, they hated guns then as much or more than New York and Chicago hates them now. Today in Detroit, "When seconds count, police are just hours away".

The talk about gun ownership and gun violence in America is a bit out of context. In America gun violence has gone down dramatically since the mid 1990's but the media coverage makes it appear as if it's not only up, but out of control.

Link

Ok please stop interfering with the political hype agenda by posting facts.

If you don't have a need, or a need that you don't wish to share then you have two options.
And he doesn't grant you the certificate, or, you go to the black market.

Tragic.

Is self defense a "need"? Is the black market the only realistic way for law abiding people to obtain a weapon when their "need" is not recognized by the government and its bureaucrats?

By the same token, do you have the right to drive? Or the right to drink clean water? Why the licensing or paying for a right?

No, we do not, driving is a privilge, but, once the license is given, there is a right to procedural pocesses before it can be withdrawn by the state. Need can be a factor to be considered in a revocation process.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

From the Foreword from Astro's link:

"The subject of ownership of firearms is a sensitive issue. Across Great
Britain there are just over 170,000 firearms licences and around 620,000
shotgun licences on issue."

Almost unbelievable.

It doesn't sound like too many folks are able to demonstrate a "need" to their Queen.

edit:

"I believe that the ownership of any firearm is a privilege and not a right, and that public safety must be paramount."

There 'ya go, folks.

edit: "1.3. What kind of firearm may be licensed?

Some firearms, shotguns and rifles may be licensed and are held on a firearm or shotgun
certificate. Low powered air weapons are not licensed in England and Wales unless they are of a type declared specially dangerous by the Firearms (Dangerous Air Weapons) Rules 1969 but there are restrictions on their sale. An air weapon is “specially dangerous” if it is capable of discharging a missile with kinetic energy in excess, in the case of an air pistol, of 6 foot lbs or, in the case of other air weapons,12 foot lbs."

So, anything past a toy pop gun that shoots out a cork attached to a string is banned?

Last edited:
At the start of WWII, with NRA assistance, hundreds of thousands of firearms were collected and sent to the UK for home defense against a German invasion. After the war it was back to business as usual over there.

I still have my slingshot with the triple rubber band and a bag with 1/2" bearings. Works also great with paint balls.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
At the start of WWII, with NRA assistance, hundreds of thousands of firearms were collected and sent to the UK for home defense against a German invasion. After the war it was back to business as usual over there.

Defenseless as the war started...the British Home Guard received hundreds of thousands of weapons and millions of rounds of ammunition as donations from the citizens of the U.S. The invasion never happened.

So, after the war, they destroyed most of the firearms that were donated. A few were returned to the generous folks that sent them.

Dramatically proving that ideology isn't influenced by facts or experience.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
To clarify, I wasn't seriously asking about its viability, I just wanted an attention grabbing title so people would read see e video..

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Can you legally own any sort of gun in England?

No. Not even close.

My word, man! Do you live in a bubble of fantasy?

Semiautomatic rifles are banned, as are handguns, semiautomatic shotguns, and pump shotguns.

You may own a rifle, or shotgun, if, and only if, you can prove to law enforcement that you have a need for it.

Basically, you're banned from everything that is appropriate to self defense!

Semi automatic rifles are legal and available, but only in .22 rim fire. Handguns are legal if :eek:verall length greater than 60cm, or black powder/antique, or as a 'humane dispatch' weapon limited to 2 shots.
Semi auto shotguns - legal with capacity of three or less.

Read the home office guidance before you spout off a load of nonsense

I read the link I posted.

From YOUR government.

Listen to yourself - semi auto in .22 only? Handgun limits? 3 round shotguns?

That's not "pretty much whatever you can show that you need"...that's a very limited selection of weapons useful for sport and NOT particularly useful for self defense.

Your cops get semiautomatic handguns, semiautomatic rifles, shotguns with more than 3 rounds. So can we, if we're of age, not felons, etc...

You can't get any of those. No British citizen can. They're banned.

You have some of the most restrictive gun laws in the world. Sadly, you seem blissfully unaware of how severely curtailed your rights are...but I am, because I read through your laws...

What's even worse is this: you found yourselves completely unprepared for a potential German invasion, because British citizens didn't own weapons, so the Home Guard had no supply as all weapons were going to deploying troops.

You had to rely on the generosity of American citizens for your home defense, and the U.S. Government for your war materiel. It was called Lend-Lease.

And you, as a people, were OK with that. So comfortable with being unprepared and unarmed that you allowed your government to restrict you further!

That's the only nonsense in this thread, your willingness to be disarmed, and your specious claims to the contrary.

You are not a free people.

Last edited:
Well said Astro.... And right on the money. Just watch what happens as the Muslim population, along with ISIS, keeps exploding, in what is basically an unarmed citizenry in Europe. This could make the Nazi's look like the Boy Scouts holding a Jamboree. We'll see who they run to this time for their weapons....... Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back