Short Commute Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like to get some opinions about this…

I recently accepted a job that is roughly four miles from home, all suburban roads, all under 40 mph. I had been doing a 75 mile round trip commute at highway speed which worked out to me changing my oil every 10 weeks more or less to stick with the Subaru warranty.

The car is ’10 WRX and I use GC and had planned on staying with GC due it being a solid performer, the car having a turbo and that I can get it at the local Pep Boys easily. I do enjoy running the car hard when I can.

Now I’m wondering if I should keep using GC and just go with a time based OCI rather than mileage or possibly swap over to something (if there such a beast) that could handle the effects of the short commute.

I plan on taking the car on longer drives on the weekends (when I can) but I’m curious if it’s worthwhile to change what oil I run now or am I concerned about something that really isn’t there?

Thanks!

For a 4-mile commute I'd ride a bike, or get a scooter, or walk. Seriously, I would.

If you do drive, I'd go by time and not mileage. Cold winter short runs will be hard on that oil.

Go by time not miles. Even though Synthetic oil is expensive I would stick with a 0w-xx for PA winters. IMO it offers advantages during the initial startup and while the engine is reaching normal operating temps [which your won't] in cold weather especially on short trips. If you do your homework shopping for deals on the oil the cost shouldn't be much of an issue. JMO

I usually would say synthetics only for a turbo engine.

BUT, Subie turbo's seem to do well on many oils, even thin ones.

To save some money, I'd use a good - quality dino 5W-30 (ie. Chevron/Havoline...couple of really good UOA's recently with this oil), and change it by time - every three/4 months.

I have a 4.2 mile city commute also. My GTI is Direct Injection, so that adds more fuel dilution. I been using Redline 5W-40 and doing 6 month OCI's.

Maybe try Rotella T 5W-40 and do 6 month OCI's? I heard Subie guys love this stuff. You won't have any problems if you stick to the GC and 6 month OCI's either.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
For a 4-mile commute I'd ride a bike, or get a scooter, or walk. Seriously, I would.

If you do drive, I'd go by time and not mileage. Cold winter short runs will be hard on that oil.

Agree 110%. No brainer. Sometimes there is a reason though. My mother for example, does a 5 mile commute because she carries too many books and things that she needs for various functions. We found via UOA that the non-severe use could be utilized given those types of commutes if a good synthetic was used and the car got a drive of >75 miles, at least once a month.

walker33, I presume you want to know if you can go with a lighter oil due to your short commute.
Of course the answer would be yes if you didn't drive it more on the week-ends. The only way to know for sure is to install an oil pressure gauge. You could then try a lighter 0W-30 like M1 and you'll know if you still will have adequate OP when it's fully up to temp' on your longer week-end runs.
I suspect, at east for winter use you'll be fine with a lighter oil.

Originally Posted By: walker33
That's what I face too. Train underpass,turnpike underpass, no sidewalks in some areas and crazy rush hour drivers who think the roads are a Nascar track.

Brother,I couldnt have said it any better!!

It would take you almost 8 months to get to 3750 miles on work commute alone. That doesn't account for any more driving you might do. Stick with 6 month time based OCI's maybe even sooner if a UOA dictates so. I would get one just to see how well the oil did with that short of a commute.

I am in the same boat sorta but I tend to make an active effort to waste fuel by taking the long way sometimes.

I been thinking the same for the wife's SUV. She doesn't work, so her SUV only gets a few short runs to nearest stores. Most months it doesn't see 100 miles, so I'm thinking time based OCIs. I'm thinking 6 month OCI's, and to make it easy to remember I'll have it changed next month (Jan)so I won't have to go look at the service label they stick on the windshield. And keep it dino oil to. Lazy me...

Stick with the synthetic you're using, and change by time.

Or just leave early and take a little fun drive to or from work a couple times a week.
cool.gif

If you're driving it on the highway a few times a month to througly warm the oil and engine to operating temp's, I'd run a synthetic for better cold-flow and change it once a year or at the mfg. reccomended milage interval whichever comes first. I do this with my station car and all is well.

Short trips are considered severe service, so change it out sooner than you would normally because the oil will be full of unburned condensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back