Oil for 2019 Prius commuter car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a nicely maintained 2019 Prius for commuting to work. I have some Liqi-Moly 0w-16 special tech SAE & Pennzoil 0w-16. Not interested in running 0w-20 as these have a calibrated oil pump and circuit for 16 weight oil. As both of the above are API SP do you see any reason why I shouldn’t try both? Car is driven 45 mins on the freeway and each way a couple times to work, then some city driving. Id estimate 60% highway, 40 % city with 5,000 mile intervals. Thanks!

Isn't it SUPPOSED to run on 0W16? If so, what's the concern about USING your 0W16?
Yes the 4th gen Prius is spec’d to run 0w-16. I’ve never used Liqi-Moly or Pennzoil platinum. Likely won’t notice but would like feedback.

Just bought a nicely maintained 2019 Prius for commuting to work. I have some Liqi-Moly 0w-16 special tech SAE & Pennzoil 0w-16. Not interested in running 0w-20 as these have a calibrated oil pump and circuit for 16 weight oil. As both of the above are API SP do you see any reason why I shouldn’t try both? Car is driven 45 mins on the freeway and each way a couple times to work, then some city driving. Id estimate 60% highway, 40 % city with 5,000 mile intervals. Thanks!
I don't believe that the "oil pump and circuit" is calibrated for 0W-16 oil. Where did you get such information? The manual even says a heavier weight oil can be used.

I don't believe that the "oil pump and circuit" is calibrated for 0W-16 oil. Where did you get such information? The manual even says a heavier weight oil can be used.
This engine in North America is I fact spec’d to 0w-16 oil. The light weight oils are all new to me as I usually work on SBC/BBC stuff and just got this tick tac car for good gas mileage.

If you find the care care nut on YouTube (he’s a Toyota technician) he talks about these engines and the need to run 0w-16 due to how the oil pump is calibrated. Funny how sensitive folks are on this board lately. I’ve been a member here for a long time. It was a simple question. Folks need to chill out..

If you find the care care nut on YouTube (he’s a Toyota technician) he talks about these engines and the need to run 0w-16 due to how the oil pump is calibrated. Funny how sensitive folks are on this board lately. I’ve been a member here for a long time. It was a simple question. Folks need to chill out..
I think he was talking about the A25A engine - either he was wrong or misspoke unfortunately. It happens…

Use 16 or 20 - whatever.

By way of example: PP 0W16 @100 cSt 7.1 and M1 ESP 0W20 @100cSt 7.9.

https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/126583ca-eb28-4530-8bd6-067e647a43af.pdf

www.mobil.com

Mobil 1™ ESP X2 0W-20 | Mobil™

Discover how Mobil 1™ ESP X2 0W-20 advanced synthetic motor oil can prolong the efficiency of emission systems in diesel and gasoline powered automobiles.
www.mobil.com
www.mobil.com

1701011079168.jpeg

Both are 0W and within J300 range for 16 and 20 so they are quite literally interchangeable as far the engine is concerned with respect to viscosity. Doesn’t matter what hoops people try to jump through to make their ECU or pump theories work. It just doesn’t make sense. There is just no way that small of a deviation will make a difference.

Yes the 4th gen Prius is spec’d to run 0w-16. I’ve never used Liqi-Moly or Pennzoil platinum. Likely won’t notice but would like feedback.
No it’s not. It’s a recommended oil grade and complies with their CAFE award letter.

It is in no way required for operation and nothing is “calibrated” for a grade. That is entirely a myth and the Car Care Nut is entirely wrong about this. He’s making it up and does not know what he’s talking about.

No it’s not. It’s a recommended oil grade and complies with their CAFE award letter.

It is in no way required for operation and nothing is “calibrated” for a grade. That is entirely a myth and the Car Care Nut is entirely wrong about this. He’s making it up.
My owners manual says 0W16 is recommended, and if not available, 0W20 may be used but must be replaced with 0W16 at the next oil change.

Car Care Nut should stop monetizing error.

As the owner of a 4th gen Prius Prime. That uses the same 2ZR-FXE as yours. It was speced 0w-20 and they back specced it to 0w-16. I can assure you it runs much happier on the 20 weight. My dealership messed up and put 16 by mistake. I knew right away it was much louder. Changed that stuff right away.

Okay. Yes again to comply with their CAFE award letter requirements. It has no technical significance whatsoever.

Yeah, but, what does Toyota gain with their "CAFE Award Letter" on a hybrid? A Jagillion dollars or a quantillion dollars? If they recommended 5W-30, that would also be CAFE...

I think he was talking about the A25A engine - either he was wrong or misspoke unfortunately. It happens…

Use 16 or 20 - whatever.

By way of example: PP 0W16 @100 cSt 7.1 and M1 ESP 0W20 @100cSt 7.9.

https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/126583ca-eb28-4530-8bd6-067e647a43af.pdf

www.mobil.com

Mobil 1™ ESP X2 0W-20 | Mobil™

Discover how Mobil 1™ ESP X2 0W-20 advanced synthetic motor oil can prolong the efficiency of emission systems in diesel and gasoline powered automobiles.
www.mobil.com
www.mobil.com

1701011079168.jpeg

Both are 0W and within J300 range for 16 and 20 so they are quite literally interchangeable as far the engine is concerned with respect to viscosity. Doesn’t matter what hoops people try to jump through to make their ECU or pump theories work. It just doesn’t make sense. There is just no way that small of a deviation will make a difference.
You raise valid points. My reservation in running 20 weight is the fact many of these guys who have worked on these for years in a dealer are saying 0w-16 is the only option long term. Again I’ve built engines, never messed with ultra low viscosity hybrid engines, so sticking with what the manufacturer recommends seemed like a solid plan. Really doubt anything could be gained wear wise with a 20 weight anyhow, so prob doesn’t matter in the end. I’ll use the 0w-16 I have on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back