Oil for 2019 Prius commuter car

Status
Not open for further replies.
No we (as an individual consumer) pay a higher price for using more gasoline, not “higher gas prices”. There is no shortage of oil. We’re nowhere near reaching the demand limit in terms of resources.

A fairly nebulous statement beyond the scope of this thread. Maybe, but the "potential" for gas and oil production is not the same as the ability to actually produce it with other economic/market factors such as supply and demand. Or blocs like OPEC stifling production despite demand in a vain effort to push prices up...

But "my point is" (not to you so much as you know better) that Toyota is at the top or close to the best OEM for overall fuel economy (in 2016 they were tops when it came to passenger cars!). So I think they could easily recommend synthetic 10W-40 for their hybrids and still get their supposed CAFE ducats without breaking a sweat. You really think TOYO is worried they ain't getting paid if they don't recommend 0W-16 in a hybrid? And if those sweet nuggets of CAFE gold are so valuable, then whey to the US Big 3 not seem to care at all? Okay, makes perfect sense...

You raise valid points. My reservation in running 20 weight is the fact many of these guys who have worked on these for years in a dealer are saying 0w-16 is the only option long term. Again I’ve built engines, never messed with ultra low viscosity hybrid engines, so sticking with what the manufacturer recommends seemed like a solid plan. Really doubt anything could be gained wear wise with a 20 weight anyhow, so prob doesn’t matter in the end. I’ll use the 0w-16 I have on hand.
That’s a good idea use the 0w16 you have on hand then start with a fresh slate either stick with a 0w16 whichever you can source locally and least expensive or move onto a 0w20 which is always available. My doctor recommends I don’t eat fatty fried foods sometimes I do (0w20)sometimes I don’t (0w16) I’m still very much alive. I remember having this discussion last night the engine and oil pump knows no difference. Maybe one day manufacturers will install a viscometer that’ll be a scare tactic for using an oil “not recommended” 🙄😂😮

⚠️ OCM, consult owners manual
Oil Circuit Malfunction, cause
Oil viscosity being used that the engine isn’t calibrated for.

lol 😂

To the OP. Run whatever you want but I'd do a 0W-16 or even a 0W-20 if on the highway a lot. Your biggest historical issue with oil is getting the sump hot enough to burn off contaminants as (at least the older) Prius' struggled to get to even 200F on a hot day of highway driving...

You raise valid points. My reservation in running 20 weight is the fact many of these guys who have worked on these for years in a dealer are saying 0w-16 is the only option long term. Again I’ve built engines, never messed with ultra low viscosity hybrid engines, so sticking with what the manufacturer recommends seemed like a solid plan. Really doubt anything could be gained wear wise with a 20 weight anyhow, so prob doesn’t matter in the end. I’ll use the 0w-16 I have on hand.
I hear you. It is yours so do what makes you feel comfortable. I use both 16 and 20 in my Hybrid. It doesn’t seem to change anything either way.

Curious what you paid for the 2019 prius. I had a 2015, recently traded it in. Even today I am amazed at how much I liked that car. Good stereo, good air conditioner, great mileage, just buzzed on the highway. Toyota makes very very good cars.

All this talk about 0w-16 and how it's going to affect your engine longevity.Mobil just did a 100k mile test with a Toyota RAV4 using 0w-16.They tore down the engine after and most all parts measured as within new tolerances.The video is on YouTube.
Why such a short test? 100k is short miles these days.

All this talk about 0w-16 and how it's going to affect your engine longevity.Mobil just did a 100k mile test with a Toyota RAV4 using 0w-16.They tore down the engine after and most all parts measured as within new tolerances.The video is on YouTube.
Link please.

I was referring to the oil pump rather. It’s not a traditional setup. But since you are being sarcastic my comment stands. A circuit could be nomenclature to refer to bearing clearances and passages meant for a certain weight of oil. Love the smugness….
What happens to oil when it gets cold?

Engines can't be designed for a specific grade of oil, because:
A) Grades are ranges in the first place
B) The grade is representing viscosity as measured at 100C, you go either direction from that and the oil either gets heavier or thinner.

What was observed by Honda (and I assume Toyota as well) was that once you started going south of a 2.6cP HTHS, you had to make design changes, as the load carrying capacity wasn't there. This resulted in wider bearings, to facilitate the use of thinner and thinner oils (0W-16, 0W-12, 0W-8). That doesn't mean that the wider bearings can't operate just fine on heavier oils, but they were a necessary design decision.

That said, 0W-16 isn't far off from 0W-20, so it may not quite meet that threshold for revision.

We've discussed the oil pump in this engine in another thread.

That’s a good idea use the 0w16 you have on hand then start with a fresh slate either stick with a 0w16 whichever you can source locally and least expensive or move onto a 0w20 which is always available. My doctor recommends I don’t eat fatty fried foods sometimes I do (0w20)sometimes I don’t (0w16) I’m still very much alive. I remember having this discussion last night the engine and oil pump knows no difference. Maybe one day manufacturers will install a viscometer that’ll be a scare tactic for using an oil “not recommended” 🙄😂😮

⚠️ OCM, consult owners manual
Oil Circuit Malfunction, cause
Oil viscosity being used that the engine isn’t calibrated for.

lol 😂

Curious what you paid for the 2019 prius. I had a 2015, recently traded it in. Even today I am amazed at how much I liked that car. Good stereo, good air conditioner, great mileage, just buzzed on the highway. Toyota makes very very good cars.
Paid $13,000 cash, but it was a fire dept buddy. He owns a construction company up north, so all highway miles and Toyota service. It’s a super clean Arizona car. Obviously I got an amazing deal on it. Toyota really did a great job on the 4th Gen.

I was referring to the oil pump rather. It’s not a traditional setup. But since you are being sarcastic my comment stands. A circuit could be nomenclature to refer to bearing clearances and passages meant for a certain weight of oil. Love the smugness….
I was trying to figure out what Calibrated oil circuit was referring to. Sensors? clearances? etc.
If I was being sarcastic I would include a /sarcasm.

Not sure if you just started this to troll bitog or what.. since you seem to have bad attitude and be internet warrior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back