Oil for 2019 Prius commuter car

Status
Not open for further replies.
There may very well be a couple of outliers in the mix, but what i have gathered is that you can pretty well assume that any 0w16 will be fine to use on a toyota requiring 0w16. There isn't any crazy or special spec that toyota requires other than it needs to be 0w16. If it has the current API ratings, then you are good to go.

If an oil maker is going to make a 0w16, then they are going to make it suitable for all cars requiring 0w16. To my knowledge there aren't any cars requiring any particular "special" 0w16

This engine in North America is I fact spec’d to 0w-16 oil. The light weight oils are all new to me as I usually work on SBC/BBC stuff and just got this tick tac car for good gas mileage.
My 17 Accord is spec’d 0W20. It’s gotten 0W20, 5W20, 0W30, 5W30, 0W40. Still running fine at just under 78K miles on as it did when I bought it used in 2019 with just over 29K miles. Same gas mileage etc..

So what is a "calibrated oil pump and circuit"?

The way i (badly) understand it is the oil pump can vary the oil pressure based on what the demand is at any given time...rev range, load, cold starting, etc. and it is all calibrated for a particular viscocity. Changing the viscosity will throw the whole system off and cause it to operate outside of its design parameters.

The way i (badly) understand it is the oil pump can vary the oil pressure based on what the demand is at any given time...rev range, load, cold starting, etc. and it is all calibrated for a particular viscocity. Changing the viscosity will throw the whole system off and cause it to operate outside of its design parameters.
Hmm. Must be heck in any climate north of the equator. Actually it would be heck there as well.

What a ridiculously poor design that would be if it were anywhere close to being true.

There may very well be a couple of outliers in the mix, but what i have gathered is that you can pretty well assume that any 0w16 will be fine to use on a toyota requiring 0w16. There isn't any crazy or special spec that toyota requires other than it needs to be 0w16. If it has the current API ratings, then you are good to go.

If an oil maker is going to make a 0w16, then they are going to make it suitable for all cars requiring 0w16. To my knowledge there aren't any cars requiring any particular "special" 0w16
My understanding is that as long as it meets GF-6B and API SP for 0w-16 it’s good to go. However, it’s always good to question this oil pump theory and see what people experience first hand. Ultimately I have a lot of faith in the Japanese engineers who designed the car, it’s just a new thing for me (ultra low viscosity oils). Appreciate the contribution to my question.

My understanding is that as long as it meets GF-6B and API SP for 0w-16 it’s good to go. However, it’s always good to question this oil pump theory and see what people experience first hand. Ultimately I have a lot of faith in the Japanese engineers who designed the car, it’s just a new thing for me (ultra low viscosity oils). Appreciate the contribution to my question.
It's not a theory. Nothing is "calibrated" for an oil grade on this engine whether it is the oil pump nor the "circuit", whatever that is. Look it up yourself since the information is out there.

Yes have faith that the Japanese engineers who designed the vehicle would not be so stupid as to "calibrate" something for a specific grade of oil. Those engines would fail in short order around the globe.

Just bought a nicely maintained 2019 Prius for commuting to work. I have some Liqi-Moly 0w-16 special tech SAE & Pennzoil 0w-16. Not interested in running 0w-20 as these have a calibrated oil pump and circuit for 16 weight oil. As both of the above are API SP do you see any reason why I shouldn’t try both? Car is driven 45 mins on the freeway and each way a couple times to work, then some city driving. Id estimate 60% highway, 40 % city with 5,000 mile intervals. Thanks!
Your Prius engine will out-last the rest of the body, using Liqui-Moly and Pennzoil Platinum at 5k OCIs, for it's remaining lifetime.

No reason to change anything.

Not interested in running 0w-20 as these have a calibrated oil pump and circuit for 16 weight oil.
So did anyone figure out what a "calibrated oil pump and circuit" is referring to yet?
Maybe convo at the Autozone parts counter?
No need to walk that false statement back push on with authority!

That’s enough. The thread is off the rails with bickering, and now, personal attacks (IQ of 80, really?, among several others) that have been moderated.

Lock time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back