Shop used the wrong oil filter element (cartridge), result in little to no filtration for the past year, how bad is it?

I mean it gotta be minimal amount right? Since it is like a good 2 inch shorter,
First time it was said how much shorter. Yeah, 2-inches shorter is a lot. Tell that shoo to fire the oil change guy. Anyone with some oil change experience and common sense would at least do a quick size comparison when changing a cartridge oil filter.

You need to ask Blackstone how to pull a sample. If you drained it into a used oil catch pan then transferred it to a container, I wouldn't trust it and Blackstone will tell you not to use it.
Blackstone sells a pump that you can use to extract a sample. I bought one and it's pretty easy to use. Mine goes in through the dipstick so if your car doesn't have one, I'd check to see if there is an alternative.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/vacuum-pump/

Blackstone sells a pump that you can use to extract a sample. I bought one and it's pretty easy to use. Mine goes in through the dipstick so if your car doesn't have one, I'd check to see if there is an alternative.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/vacuum-pump/
OP already has the oil out of their car.

By the way, you can buy those $10 fluid-transfer pumps at everywhere from Harbor Freight to Walmart to every auto parts store that will do the same job.

OP already has the oil out of their car.

By the way, you can buy those $10 fluid-transfer pumps at everywhere from Harbor Freight to Walmart to every auto parts store that will do the same job.
I was under the impression that there was concern about the manner in which that sample was collected. I actually though you were the one who expressed that concern.

I did my own oil change this weekend and the oil filter I pulled out is the wrong one. I did my last oil change in a supposedly reputable local shop.
It is too short (made for previous generation car), and since it is a cartridge style filter, it isn't sealing against the engine, bascially means most if not all oil has been bypassing the filter. The car went like this for 1 year and about 2000 miles. The engine has just 30,000 mile on it.

But I do wanna know what kind of damage if any should I expect. People on this forum seems to know about oil and filter way more.
One more reason to change your own oil.

Here is UOA. Fuel dilution is kinda expected since this car is DI and is used for short trips somewhat often and sits often.
Also had a weak vaccum pump

Unless somebody tells me otherwise, probably not a big deal.
boxster_UOA_2023.jpg

I'd wager to say it's fine.... A lot of old Volkswagens and a few others went further than this on oil changes without even having a filter.

What kind of car and what filter was in it vs what was supposed to be?
Also the Founder of this forum did not think that oil filters were necessary.

Here is UOA. Fuel dilution is kinda expected since this car is DI and is used for short trips somewhat often and sits often.
Also had a weak vaccum pump

Unless somebody tells me otherwise, probably not a big deal.
View attachment 168706
Plus to be honest you have no idea what the fuel dilution is or is not with that UOA. Their method of estimation has been shown to be wildly inaccurate multiple times.

Also you can't measure wear from the oil via a UOA as there are way too many uncontrolled variables. This has been pointed out as well but perhaps you don't care.

Also the Founder of this forum did not think that oil filters were necessary.
Maybe I'll invent and sell an empty filter can so guys can just permanently install that (giving zero oil filtration) so they can save some money by not having to buy oil filters anymore. 😄

Old VWs didn't have a real oil filter, and look how long those motors lasted, lol.

Back