Is the recommended 0-20 bad for engine life?

No, if this is the manufacturer's recommendation, period.

Boooooooring question, btw. A thousand times asked, twentythousand times answered.
The actual question is:
WHY does every forum member need another own thread for the ever same question?
Because times change and new information may have become available since the question was asked last.

For those who are so triggered by these questions, simply scroll on. There is no requirement for you to answer.

Sure the motor will last on 0w20. Wonder if higher viscosity oils would help keep the motor operating closer to design specifications over the ownership duration.

1000018639.jpg

If you want it to warm up faster then a thicker oil will help with that.
In my experience, the effect is still very small and swamped by ambient temps. I ran both 10W-60 and 0W-40 in my BMW S54 engine and the warm-up times to 100C were not significantly different.

Never repaired or exchanged an engine internal for 350k?
It was an imported JDM 2.0, so no. Even had a lightweight flywheel and a catback.
Where did you buy 0w20 in 2002?
5w20 for awhile into a 0w20 around 2016+, swapped the motor in 2017.
Yeah that's a bit of a stretch. Perhaps just trying to make a point of some sort. It seems as though sometimes people want to brag about how thin of an oil they use.
5w20 into 0w20. The shop doing performance work on my Nismo 370z stocked Amsoil and that was used for 4+- years. Prior it was whatever advanced auto had. Not bragging, simply stating a successful, extremely healthy motor that ran on 20 weight its entire life. The frame rusted out before the motor even thought about burning "too thin" of an oil. Im curious why everyone thinks you need a 30 or 40 in a daily driver making 50hp a cylinder or less :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
You missed my point?
I was responding the the guy who said he ran his 2003 forester on 0w20 since 5miles were on it... presumably in 2002.. which is impossible.(and a terrible idea for EJ series engines)
It was an imported JDM 2.0. 5w20 into 0w20 was ran its entire life. (y)
Here is the shop that got the JDM 2.0 - Moore Performance, you probably heard of them if you were into the subaru world in the early - mid 2000s. They were out of Pittsburgh PA. Mike at Innovative Tuning did all of their tuning before Cobb flew him to Texas to work for them. I think they might know a few things about JDM cars. https://www.legacygt.com/topic/102895-moore-built-forester-xti-5-speed-twin-scroll-622whp/

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s bad for engines since the wear metals rarely seem to be elevated even with heavier fuel dilution. I ran 0w-20 in my old Prius for 10k miles at a time and owned that car from 100k to 200k miles trouble free. But the new car is direct injected and turbocharged which is generally harder on oil and has me contemplating bumping to a 5w-30 at least in the warmer months (I usually get 2OCI in warm months and one in cold months).

And then I always go back to remembering the Hondas that get whatever the dealer has whenever the light comes on and still last and think my 5k intervals are more than adequate even with 0w-20. But the. 5w-30 doesn’t even trade off that much MPG. I’ve debated this a while, will probably just run 5w-30 the next OCI from mid summer to late fall and see how it is (I’m sure the butt dyno won’t be very useful)

Last edited:
Back