Using HPL 10w-60 in a Classic Engine?

That has to be one of the most pointlessly confusing product line ups I've heard of then. I'm sure it's probably still decent stuff, but I don't think I'll go out of my way to pick that over a well known brand here in the UK like Castrol in the same way I would if it was the stuff you have all been using here on this forum.

Cheers for all the info! 😀
It is confusing. Imagine if Castrol sold to a third-party who labeled their product "Castrol Oil". and then at a later date Castrol decided to sell direct as "Castrol".

Surprised you're not running Liqui Moly Old Timer 10w-50.

That has to be one of the most pointlessly confusing product line ups I've heard of then. I'm sure it's probably still decent stuff, but I don't think I'll go out of my way to pick that over a well known brand here in the UK like Castrol in the same way I would if it was the stuff you have all been using here on this forum.

Cheers for all the info! 😀

How is this confusing? HPL has several different products, care must be taken to find the product/family you're looking for, whether that's PCMO, Super Car, or the red logo "power added" lineup. The red logo is not for passenger cars. Redline has similar variations.

How is this confusing? HPL has several different products, care must be taken to find the product/family you're looking for, whether that's PCMO, Super Car, or the red logo "power added" lineup. The red logo is not for passenger cars. Redline has similar variations.
Uhhh, as I said earlier, the red logo is not blended per Advanced Lubrication/High Performance Lubricants specs, it's blended for the guy that owns Precision Turbo, to his specifications. It's not an oil designed by Dr. Rudnick.

Commonly known as a Puddle Jumper in this part of the world.Very low stressed engine with roller cam followers,so any modern 30 or 40 multigrade oil will do.

How is it not confusing that there are two "HPLs"?

The first time I came across the red label HPL I thought it was just branding/logo change for High Performance Lubricants, and the only reason I know what it actually is, is because people here told me the difference. They don't do a great job distinguishing the two product lines.

Uhhh, as I said earlier, the red logo is not blended per Advanced Lubrication/High Performance Lubricants specs, it's blended for the guy that owns Precision Turbo, to his specifications. It's not an oil designed by Dr. Rudnick.

It's not designed according to specs by Dr Rudnick, but that's not what I said. It's still an oil produced by HPL, it just has a different designer/spec/purpose in life.

There are many products released by a company that has different designers/quality/purposes. Not every car by GM has the same designer (for example). Not every piece of software under the same company has the same engineer/software devs writing it. The networking equipment I use/sell (Ubiquiti) has different designers and use cases and "families" as well.

The oil may have a different engineer but its still produced in the same factory by the same people under the same standards.

How is it not confusing that there are two "HPLs"?

The first time I came across the red label HPL I thought it was just branding/logo change for High Performance Lubricants, and the only reason I know what it actually is, is because people here told me the difference. They don't do a great job distinguishing the two product lines.

Again, it's no different comparing HPL red logo vs HPL Premium Plus vs HPL Super Car. You need to dig into the oils, find out their targeted use and choose accordingly.

It's not designed according to specs by Dr Rudnick, but that's not what I said. It's still an oil produced by HPL, it just has a different designer/spec/purpose in life.

There are many products released by a company that has different designers/quality/purposes. Not every car by GM has the same designer (for example). Not every piece of software under the same company has the same engineer/software devs writing it. The networking equipment I use/sell (Ubiquiti) has different designers and use cases and "families" as well.

The oil may have a different engineer but its still produced in the same factory by the same people under the same standards.
OK, and when SuperTech was produced by Mobil, how would you have described SuperTech; heck, how would you describe it now being produced by Warren? What about TGMO?

The owner of Precision Turbo doesn't work for HPL, just like the Waltons and the folks at Toyota don't work for ExxonMobil. Dave & company produce the "HPL" oil for the Precision Turbo guy, just like Mobil blends TGMO to Toyota's spec for Toyota and Warren SuperTech for Walmart. It's a private label product, but in this case, with a confusing twist because of the name.

OK, and when SuperTech was produced by Mobil, how would you have described SuperTech; heck, how would you describe it now being produced by Warren? What about TGMO?

The owner of Precision Turbo doesn't work for HPL, just like the Waltons and the folks at Toyota don't work for ExxonMobil. Dave & company produce the "HPL" oil for the Precision Turbo guy, just like Mobil blends TGMO to Toyota's spec for Toyota and Warren SuperTech for Walmart. It's a private label product, but in this case, with a confusing twist because of the name.

We've already covered the fact that the one product has a different designer. What I'm saying, is that this should not be a source of confusion. There are several different products under the HPL brand, and each product requires some digging to know if it's for you.

We've already covered the fact that the one product has a different designer. What I'm saying, is that this should not be a source of confusion. There are several different products under the HPL brand, and each product requires some digging to know if it's for you.
Do you consider TGMO to be under the Mobil brand?

I'm not familiar with TCMO or Mobil which is why I can't comment on those products.
TGMO = Toyota Genuine Motor Oil, it's the oil produced in North America, by Mobil, for Toyota, and sold mostly at Toyota dealerships.

This is similar to the "HPL" oil which is not sold through Advanced Lubrication (Dave), but rather through Precision Distributors, who operates the HPL and HPT websites and, during COVID, started carrying the High Performance Lubricants/Advanced Lubrication hand sanitizer:
To keep you and your families safe and healthy, HPL Superior Lubricants has partnered with High Performance Lubricants to offer Hand Sanitizer!

Note the clear distinction of them being different companies, despite the similarity in names. This would be like a Toyota dealership carrying Mobil-branded hand sanitizer.

TGMO = Toyota Genuine Motor Oil, it's the oil produced in North America, by Mobil, for Toyota, and sold mostly at Toyota dealerships.

This is similar to the "HPL" oil which is not sold through Advanced Lubrication (Dave), but rather through Precision Distributors, who operates the HPL and HPT websites and, during COVID, started carrying the High Performance Lubricants/Advanced Lubrication hand sanitizer:

Note the clear distinction of them being different companies, despite the similarity in names. This would be like a Toyota dealership carrying Mobil-branded hand sanitizer.

All motor oil using the HPL brand name comes from the same factory produced by the same people (though with different designers, yes, noted) and come with the same quality assurance standards etc etc. The various products have different purposes, those purposes need to be studied somewhat and chosen based on your individual requirements. HPL red logo is not worse or better, it's just a unique product for a unique purpose.

My posts are focused on the "confusion" aspect, as in, is it "confusing"? My point is that it's not confusing. It's something to note and be made aware of and then move on from. I've seen so much talk on this forum about it and if I can figure it out after one reading one post on this so can anyone else. I'm not more or less confused by HPL red logo vs any of the other HPL branded products.

So "be aware of it", "note it", yes. "Bewildered", or "confused", or calling for them to change their lineup to suit your perceptions better (not you personally but I've seen this mentioned on this forum) is getting a little silly.

If you can't figure this out in one shot (again, speaking generally, I know you have this figured) then I question the wisdom of picking your own oil in the first place.

You're confusing the fact that there are different products lines within High Performance Oils and HPL with the fact that at face value they appear to stem from the same brand.

It's terrible marketing, flatout. That there is a debate here about how to decipher the products from one another is direct evidence of that.

All motor oil using the HPL brand name comes from the same factory produced by the same people (though with different designers, yes, noted) and come with the same quality assurance standards etc etc.
This is the same as TGMO, hence my desire for you to clarify your position on that, because you've taken one here that I doubt many would agree with. Not a dig, just a point that I think needs to be dealt with if we are to follow this discussion to its conclusion.
The various products have different purposes, those purposes need to be studied somewhat and chosen based on your individual requirements.
Not really, they are sold through completely separate channels. You won't come across the red label stuff on the official advlubrication website.
HPL red logo is not worse or better, it's just a unique product for a unique purpose.
It's a separate product, sold by a separate vendor, and developed specifically for that 3rd party, just like TGMO or SuperTech, which is why I've circled back to those examples several times now.
My posts are focused on the "confusion" aspect, as in, is it "confusing"? My point is that it's not confusing. It's something to note and be made aware of and then move on from. I've seen so much talk on this forum about it and if I can figure it out after one reading one post on this so can anyone else.
If Toyota called TGMO "M1" there would clearly be people confusing it with Mobil 1. Add in the fact that it would be produced by Mobil, and that's realistically, quite confusing.
I'm not more or less confused by HPL red logo vs any of the other HPL branded products.
But the red logo oil is NOT an Advanced Lubrication/High Performance Lubricants branded product, nor is it sold through their website 🤷‍♂️ It's a product developed for and sold through a 3rd party.
So "be aware of it", "note it", yes. "Bewildered", or "confused", or calling for them to change their lineup to suit your perceptions better (not you personally but I've seen this mentioned on this forum) is getting a little silly.

If you can't figure this out in one shot (again, speaking generally, I know you have this figured) then I question the wisdom of picking your own oil in the first place.
I think expecting that the products would have different names isn't unreasonable. I've seen enough examples on this forum of people being very confused by this situation that I think it's a legit criticism, but my understanding is that it's not one that can be easily remedied, so it will have to be lived with.

@OVERKILL is completely right.

@hemioiler HPL red label isn't a line of High Performance Lubricants products. They manufacture it under contract, but it isn't their product line, yet it's named practically the same thing as if it were.

Last edited:
@OVERKILL is completely right.

@hemioiler HPL red label isn't a line of High Performancs Lubricants products. They manufacture it under contract, but it isn't their product line, yet it's named practically the same thing as if it were.
Yes, and being a contracted product, like SuperTech or TGMO, that could change, and it could be manufactured by somebody else at some point in the future, or may have been in the past.

It's all manufactured in the same factory by the same people under the same quality control standards. They have different engineers designing it, and they have different use cases.

You're looking for issues where there are none. It's HPL oil, different product families. Again, it's something to note and be aware of, anything beyond that is just drama for the sake of drama.

The fact that it's mentioned so often on this forum is not indicative that the product lines are confusing, it's more indicative of how obsessed some people on here are about minor differences and looking for issues where there are none.

It's all manufactured in the same factory by the same people under the same quality control standards. They have different engineers designing it, and they have different use cases.
As is the case for TGMO. It's produced by Mobil, in the Mobil facility, to Mobil's quality control standards, but formulated for Toyota, to Toyota's specifications, and sold through Toyota dealerships. It's the exact same situation as what we are discussing here. That doesn't make TGMO part of the Mobil product portfolio/product line.

This is the same for any OEM, because none of them blend their own oil, be it AC Delco, Motorcraft, Honda...etc.
You're looking for issues where there are none. It's HPL oil, different product families. Again, it's something to note and be aware of, anything beyond that is just drama for the sake of drama.

The fact that it's mentioned so often on this forum is not indicative that the product lines are confusing, it's more indicative of how obsessed some people on here are about minor differences and looking for issues where there are none.
You really struggle with being wrong eh? LOL

Let's say next year Dave decided he was just too busy to continue to blend the HPL red label product for HPL Advanced Lubricants (HPL/HPT) and they had to switch to another blender, what would happen? Well:
- The product wouldn't change. It would still be "HPL" from HPL Advanced Lubricants, blended using the same formula as specified by them.
- It would still be sold through the same distribution system, likely in the same bottles and boxes.

Do you see how this makes your claim that "it's HPL oil" problematic?

Circling back to TGMO once again, TGMO sold in Japan isn't blended by XOM, but both it and the XOM blended product are still TGMO. If Toyota moved production to Shell tomorrow, that doesn't make the product part of the Shell product portfolio, it remains TGMO.

Just like we don't consider the iPhone a Foxconn product, even though they manufacture it. Apple could change manufacture to LG or Samsung tomorrow, the product is still an iPhone.

Last edited:
As is the case for TGMO. It's produced by Mobil, in the Mobil facility, to Mobil's quality control standards, but formulated for Toyota, to Toyota's specifications, and sold through Toyota dealerships. It's the exact same situation as what we are discussing here. That doesn't make TGMO part of the Mobil product portfolio/product line.

This is the same for any OEM, because none of them blend their own oil, be it AC Delco, Motorcraft, Honda...etc.

You really struggle with being wrong eh? LOL

Let's say next year Dave decided he was just too busy to continue to blend the HPL red label product for HPL Advanced Lubricants (HPL/HPT) and they had to switch to another blender, what would happen? Well:
- The product wouldn't change. It would still be "HPL" from HPL Advanced Lubricants, blended using the same formula as specified by them.
- It would still be sold through the same distribution system, likely in the same bottles and boxes.

Do you see how this makes your claim that "it's HPL oil" problematic?

Circling back to TGMO once again, TGMO sold in Japan isn't blended by XOM, but both it and the XOM blended product are still TGMO. If Toyota moved production to Shell tomorrow, that doesn't make the product part of the Shell product portfolio, it remains TGMO.

Just like we don't consider the iPhone a Foxconn product, even though they manufacture it. Apple could change manufacture to LG or Samsung tomorrow, the product is still an iPhone.

Let's make it very simple: "The silver bottles are produced by HPL under contract to Harry Hruska, this oil is intended for the racing/power adder market whereas the black bottles are both designed and produced by HPL and intended for passenger cars/trucks." Not 100% perfect, but 99% and gets the point across. If this confuses you, again I submit you shouldn't be making oil choices for your car.

As I said several times now, this is not confusing or complicated. It's simply something to be aware of, and "note", but that's no different then noting the differences between HPL PCMO and Super Car.

Back