Using HPL 10w-60 in a Classic Engine?

Let's make it very simple: "The silver bottles are produced by HPL under contract to Harry Hruska, this oil is intended for the racing/power adder market whereas the black bottles are both designed and produced by HPL and intended for passenger cars/trucks." Not 100% perfect, but 99% and gets the point across. If this confuses you, again I submit you shouldn't be making oil choices for your car. As I said several times now, this is not confusing or complicated. It's simply something to be aware of, and "note", but that's no different then noting the differences between HPL PCMO and Super Car.
Except that whole bit about PCMO and Super Car being blended, bottled and sold by Advanced Lubrication/High Performance Lubricants and blended to their own specifications, just like their line of racing oils that you appear to have missed.

Totally the same thing.
Oh OK yeah sure.gif

Except that whole bit about PCMO and Super Car being blended, bottled and sold by Advanced Lubrication/High Performance Lubricants and blended to their own specifications, just like their line of racing oils that you appear to have missed.

Totally the same thing.
View attachment 192704

Every oil under the HPL brand needs to be looked at carefully, noting the differences; my point in this discussion was the differences in the silver bottles can be noted just as easily/quickly as the differences between any other two random oils in the black bottles.

It's not anymore confusing to figure out silver bottle vs random black bottle, than it is to figure out the difference between two other random black bottles.

Me not specifically mentioning their racing oils (or their no-vii lineup, or their premium, or their premium plus etc) has nothing to do with the argument here, but you knew that already.

Every oil under the HPL brand needs to be looked at carefully, noting the differences; my point in this discussion was the differences in the silver bottles can be noted just as easily/quickly as the differences between any other two random oils in the black bottles.

It's not anymore confusing to figure out silver bottle vs random black bottle, than it is to figure out the difference between two other random black bottles.

Me not specifically mentioning their racing oils (or their no-vii lineup, or their premium, or their premium plus etc) has nothing to do with the argument here, but you knew that already.
I appreciate your efforts at intentionally being difficult and unwillingness to cede error here, but the silver bottle product is NOT under the Advanced Lubrication/High Performance Lubricants brand, just like TGMO isn't under the Mobil brand. It's a product blended for and sold through a 3rd party.

I brought up the racing oils because you stated:
hemioiler said:
The silver bottles are produced by HPL under contract to Harry Hruska, this oil is intended for the racing/power adder market whereas the black bottles are both designed and produced by HPL and intended for passenger cars/trucks.
Which is wrong.

The black bottle family also includes the Bad Ass Racing series of oils, which are specifically designed for the same market as the private label silver bottled product blended for and sold by HPL/HPT.

While entertaining to watch you continue to step on rakes, I do hope there's a point where you'll eventually give up and admit you were wrong.
stepping on rakes.gif

Last edited:
@hemioiler you appear to be so not confused you are actually confused and dont know it??
There is the mitigating factor that the situation is in fact confusing.

if it helps think of the silver bottle as joe gibbs oil.. and you will see why its not the same as the black bottle HPL.

@OVERKILL @hemioiler

Look at it this way. As Overkill pointed out, SuperTech was once made in a Mobil facility.

Did it have MOBIL printed on the bottle in big giant letters? A big Pegasus logo?
No. It said SuperTech.

Does Great Value or any Dollar General naproxen say "Great Value" or "Dollar General" or does it say Bion Pharma, who actually makes the generic Aleve (naproxen) for them (and quite a few others)

Edit: What's in the contract between HPL and Hruska is their own proprietary information. I suspect it's something along the lines of an agreement based on the financial arrangements of said contract. It kind of benefits both but does blur the line to consumers.

Last edited:
I appreciate your efforts at intentionally being difficult and unwillingness to cede error here, but the silver bottle product is NOT under the Advanced Lubrication/High Performance Lubricants brand, just like TGMO isn't under the Mobil brand. It's a product blended for and sold through a 3rd party.

I brought up the racing oils because you stated:

Which is wrong.

The black bottle family also includes the Bad Ass Racing series of oils, which are specifically designed for the same market as the private label silver bottled product blended for and sold by HPL/HPT.

While entertaining to watch you continue to step on rakes, I do hope there's a point where you'll eventually give up and admit you were wrong.
View attachment 192709

If there is a product in the black bottles designed for racing, I wouldn't know of it beyond a basic knowledge of it (bad ass racing) as I ignore the products that aren't relevant to me how. How did I do that? I looked at the offerings in as much detail as I could gather at the time and made a decision for the best oil that applied to me.

None of this was confusing, despite my memory or lack thereof for details that don't apply to my use case.

The graphics are not helping your case by the way, this isn't reddit and I hope we're grown past that stage by now.

@hemioiler you appear to be so not confused you are actually confused and dont know it??
There is the mitigating factor that the situation is in fact confusing.

if it helps think of the silver bottle as joe gibbs oil.. and you will see why its not the same as the black bottle HPL.

Nobody here was equating the silver bottles to the black bottles least of all me. Perhaps read my posts again.

The graphics are not helping your case by the way, this isn't reddit and I hope we're grown past that stage by now.
I made my case pages ago bud, which was evident to anyone paying attention. The gif's are for my amusement; to inject some levity, since the exit for ridiculous was about 100 miles back.

I made my case pages ago bud, which was evident to anyone paying attention. The gif's are for my amusement; to inject some levity, since the exit for ridiculous was about 100 miles back.

You should have taken the exit. Attempting to mock or get a rise out of someone is in poor taste, your point should stand alone, or not at all in this case.

You should have taken the exit. Attempting to mock or get a rise out of someone is in poor taste, your point should stand alone, or not at all in this case.
And perhaps you should have just taken the L like an adult ;)

I am loving that you are trying to make this about me and the gifs however. Deflecting from your complete inability to admit you were wrong, lol.
jennifer-lawrence-the-mocking-jay.gif

Being humble is a hoot, you should give it a try sometime ;)

And perhaps you should have just taken the L like an adult ;)

I am loving that you are trying to make this about me and the gifs however. Deflecting from your complete inability to admit you were wrong, lol.
View attachment 192757

Being humble is a hoot, you should give it a try sometime ;)

The gifs just show your poor taste, the argument itself has not changed: having an oil manufactured for a third party with their name attached is not confusing, it's just something to be aware of.

The gifs just show your poor taste, the argument itself has not changed: having an oil manufactured for a third party with their name attached is not confusing, it's just something to be aware of.
I have not seen High Performance Lubricants use the “HPL” letters anywhere in their marketing or labeling. Everything is labeled “High Performance Lubricants *product line here*”.

It seems only BITOG members refer to the “High Performance Lubricants” products in the black bottles as HPL because let’s be honest, it’s a lot easier to type out. I can see where the confusion comes from, but one is a niche product and the other is even more niche.

I have not seen High Performance Lubricants use the “HPL” letters anywhere in their marketing or labeling. Everything is labeled “High Performance Lubricants *product line here*”.

It seems only BITOG members refer to the “High Performance Lubricants” products in the black bottles as HPL because let’s be honest, it’s a lot easier to type out. I can see where the confusion comes from, but one is a niche product and the other is even more niche.

On ram forums they call it HPL or HP XXXX (like HP Super Car), I've seen both forms. It is easier to type out, but if a product is being recommended it most likely has the product line attached as well. So HP Super Car, or HPL PCMO etc.

Anyway no minds are going to be changed at this point and I think this company has seen enough of their name being used as the subject of complaints so I'm going to move on before the mods step in anyway.

Back