Semi auto, vs wheel gun? Big bore? 9mm?

So, which handgun would you take if you could only take one? End of the world deal. Hypothetical.

Last edited:
Take where ?

Guns are tools to fit the job. Depends on the job. Summer urban setting smaller 9m semi auto concealed. Deep in the woods , or bear country, large bore revolver.

Outside doing work around the house, a small .22 in case of rabid animals.

Home defense, a good .45 or 10mm, but i keep a gun in a couple of rooms. And of course an AR. I'm considering a compact semiauto shotgun, as my shotguns are long pump action field guns.

Last edited:
Take where ?

Guns are tools to fit the job. Depends on the job. Summer urban setting smaller 9m semi auto concealed. Deep in the woods , or bear country, large bore revolver.

Home defense, a good .45 or 10mm, but i keep a gun in a couple of rooms. And of course an AR. I'm considering a compact semiauto shotgun, as my shotguns are long pump action field guns.
see edit

I really hate to admit this but in this scenario I would take a Glock G34 Long slide. Magazines are everywhere, ammo is common, sight radius is long enough that irons can be accurate to longer ranges and you pick up a bit of velocity. It is a tool and its reliability is proven. That said I dont own a Glock because I like wood and polished steel and single action triggers for the target range but I am old and prejudice.
Disclaimer: I do have a Canik Rival S for shooting steel and a S&W Shield+ for CCW and am too old to survive an End of World scenario in the wild.

I really hate to admit this but in this scenario I would take a Glock G34 Long slide. Magazines are everywhere, ammo is common, sight radius is long enough that irons can be accurate to longer ranges and you pick up a bit of velocity. It is a tool and its reliability is proven. That said I dont own a Glock because I like wood and polished steel and single action triggers for the target range but I am old and prejudice.
Disclaimer: I do have a Canik Rival S for shooting steel and a S&W Shield+ for CCW and am too old to survive an End of World scenario in the wild.
You’re too tough to eat like me so you best go out shootin’!

For that scenario, most common calibers that you are likely to find for ammo and guns. You will eventually need more ammo for your gun/s or gun/s for the ammo you have.
.22lr, 9mm, .380, .45acp, 5.56, .308, hunting guns calibers.

It is hard to beat 9mm for ammo availability. Except for perhaps .22. Every major military in the world uses 9mm. There must be hundreds of millions, if not billions, of rounds of 9mm in military munition depots across the world. There is a wide range of bullet weights and loads. Everything from round nose standard loads to +P+ HP loads. In a world that has turned upside down, knowing that ammo will be available will be very important.

Second to ammo availability would be reliability. I would want to get my hands on some of the most reliable 9mm auto pistols available. There are pistols (some HK models, and a few others) that have been tested out to 80k+ rounds before failure to function. Give me one of those, in a time where it may not be possible to get parts, or find a gunsmith that is skilled enough to fabricate parts.

Third would be a pistol that can put out the rounds in a firefight situation. We can only imagine what the world would be like, and how violent people could be, when they are desperate. So a revolver, with typically only six rounds, would not be my choice. With only one spare magazine, a semi-auto with twenty round capacity magazines will give the shooter almost as many rounds as a revolver with a half dozen speed clips on a belt. And only one reload, instead of six. Now put six spare twenty round magazines on your belt, and you should feel ready for most anything.

Yep, that would be my pistol pick for end of the world scenario.

Last edited:
End of world? hard call. I mean, can’t buy ammo, so stuck with make or barter. Revolver is easy to keep brass, could be casting to make more ammo. But its a bit obsolete, more likely to trade into auto ammo. Might have to defer to 9mm here.

Of course, the right answer is, whatever I have mounds of stashed away. Who cares what it is, if I have 20k let alone more. And at that point, it would not have to be the same as my long gun, it too can have a stockpile.

Take where ?

This.

I have lots of different stuff that I shoot all the time, but the one I grab and carry every day when off duty is my Glock 23 with a TLR8 WML. Would do same in a one weapon, end of world scenario, but may defer to my G19 due to ammo availability. However, my KSG with 6 rounds of 00 buck AND 6 rounds of slugs, would probably get slung just for good measure.

A PT92 9mm

I really like 12Ga for your purposes in something like a Siaga 12 (with the drum) or IWI TS12 because of the versatility of the available ammo, but you said handgun, so PT92 it is.

...but with the TS12, you could literally carry 5 rounds of slugs, 5 rounds of buck and 5 rounds of BB or BBB in the same gun and then just roll the mag to the round you desired to shoot.

While I will always say A higher end 1911 is by far the most wonderful to shoot and accurate pistol in the world I just love them . I would take a Glock 17 then a 19. next would be an XD Tactical, I bought a used XD in 2008 in 40 S@W and put over 40,000 rounds of my reloads throgh it cleaning it when it stopped functioning and it still works fine and never broke [ a 9mm should out last a 40]. Those two are choice for the end of the world type of fantasy.. I like the S@W Airweight to carry around just in case, Not a combat weapon though. I will chose a semi auto over a revolver any day for serious situations. What is nice about a revolver is it doesn't scatter brass.

Back