Schaeffers 5w50 9000

I was debating on running this or the mobil 1 5w50, I'm still waiting on the results of that to come back. I'll follow up when I get that one in.
20220926_154844.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
14.7 KV100, 4.7tbn and 2000+ ppm zinc? Edit: just noticed this is a race oil.

I think M1 5w50 would be better in both circumstances, high TBN, KV100 of 17.4, HTHS of 4.4 (a real 50) and has Porsche A40 approval.

Last edited:
Ask Blackstone to test for Antimony? I think it's a extreme pressure additive....So I've read here.

14.7 KV100, 4.7tbn and 2000+ ppm zinc? Edit: just noticed this is a race oil.

I think M1 5w50 would be better in both circumstances, high TBN, KV100 of 17.4, HTHS of 4.4 (a real 50) and has Porsche A40 approval.
I've actually got the mobil in the pan now.

You mean actually listen to the experts?? Pshaw, why would one do that when they can rely on feelings and presumptions? /sarcasm
you mean the lab that tells me what's in the oil so I can decide whether it suits what I'm looking for or not? Kind of like this report?

you mean the lab that tells me what's in the oil so I can decide whether it suits what I'm looking for or not? Kind of like this report?
If that were the case then no oil blender would have to run the suite of tests in SAE J300 or the even more extensive validations that are in a manufacturer approval or specification. All they would need is a $30 UOA and a relatively uneducated interpretation.

Do you think Schaeffer Oil makes their recommendations based on a cheap spectrographic analysis on one engine operated in an uncontrolled environment?

Most blenders don't give a full list of what additives are in the oil or what group base stock is used for the formula. Looking at the numbers and what the tbn is tells me it's more suited for a short interval, even though when I called and asked Schaeffer's I was told it would be fine for daily car. So now I know if I run it on the street I'll need to change it much sooner than I would have initially expected.

I'm really not sure where the disconnect is here.

Both are excellent motor oils. Reference is made to my previous post.
I'm sure they are; so far the 5w50 mobil has held up well to my hot running 416 iron stroker. Add to that the heat of the eastern plains of NM and I still stay between 100-105c oil temps and around 38-40 pounds of pressure at hot idle with a stock radiator (for now) and it's doing well.

MolaKule is this board’s preeminent oil expert, because he actually works in industry in the formulation of oils, and how their additive packs interact to provide the necessary protection needed for a given spec. One would think that when he posts that a true lab test to identify everything in an oil that is relevant to certifications and performance costs several thousand $, and that a VOA/UOA does not provide that information, people would listen. But you’re free to do as you wish.

A VOA/UOA is intended to identify viscosity, TAN/TBN, and fuel/coolant. Unless you’ve got at least 30 samples of the same oil in the same engine, you can’t statistically say there is a difference in the wear metal results; and then, it’s only valid for that specific engine type, not an across the board assumption. Dnewton3 has talked about this “macro-level analysis” multiple times on the board.

I’ve run macro-level data (not as in-depth as dnewton3, though) across a couple engines that I’ve had, using a couple hundred UOAs for that specific engine. What that showed was a given mean for the “wear particles” and then a 95% confidence interval based on the full sample set. Funny thing was, except the samples that clearly resulted in/from a failure (iron >200ppm for example), ALL of the various oils & OCIs resulted in statistically similar results- meaning, whether M1 had 2x the iron of PUP (example only) you cannot distinguish between any oil performing “better/worse” with more certainty than flipping a coin.

So, enjoy picking your oils based on feelings… as long as the oil meets the certs for your engine you’ll never know any true difference, and therefore, you’ll think you’re Einstein. ✌️

Last edited:
when I called and asked Schaeffer's I was told it would be fine for daily car. So now I know if I run it on the street I'll need to change it much sooner than I would have initially expected.
So you called the manufacturer, they told you for your given application it would be fine, and then you assume after that fact that you’ll have to “change it much sooner” even though the manufacturer just said it would be fine?

Yeah, sounds like science. 🤨

So you called the manufacturer, they told you for your given application it would be fine, and then you assume after that fact that you’ll have to “change it much sooner” even though the manufacturer just said it would be fine?

Yeah, sounds like science. 🤨
Did you not see the TBN?

I heard this place was full of gate keeping weirdos, this is wild though.

Did you not see the TBN?

I heard this place was full of gate keeping weirdos, this is wild though.
A couple of things unless I’m too weird for you. First off if that is race oil then it may indeed be “fine” for use just like they say. But I’ll agree that a high TBN is not an objective of a race oil.

Secondly TBN depletion isn’t linear so predicting a termination mileage based on a VOA reading may not be accurate. It’s also highly dependent on the specific engine and operating conditions so unless you actually run it out you don’t really know what is going to happen. If your engine is not worn and creating large amounts of blow by then with today’s low-sulfur fuel TBN is relatively less important than it was in years past. Heavy short trips also would also be a factor.

I apologize for using UOA in my earlier posts since you did post a VOA. But I still stand by my technical comments.

Back