Mobil 1 5w50 European Car (FSx2) API SP

I sent this sample, and a sample of M1 5w50 Supercar off for analysis. Will post results of Supercar when they come in.
M1 5w50 Euro SP.jpg

This appears to offer one thing & that is viscosity but still at 15.41 for a 50? Mobil has a habit of making oils just ever so slightly past the lower grade. Take their 0w-40 as an example... It's barely a 40 at like 12.9. I am interested in how long it would maintain it's viscosity but probably not very long at 5w-50 before dropping into 40. This is an excellent option though for some applications but don't expect it to hold 50 visc for very long. I'll mention to anyone that wants to get a VOA done & that is not to use BS. Preferably a lab that at least includes oxidation value. BS is great for UOA mileage avg's though. Thanks for sharing this info!

This appears to offer one thing & that is viscosity but still at 15.41 for a 50? Mobil has a habit of making oils just ever so slightly past the lower grade. Take their 0w-40 as an example... It's barely a 40 at like 12.9. I am interested in how long it would maintain it's viscosity but probably not very long at 5w-50 before dropping into 40. This is an excellent option though for some applications but don't expect it to hold 50 visc for very long. I'll mention to anyone that wants to get a VOA done & that is not to use BS. Preferably a lab that at least includes oxidation value. BS is great for UOA mileage avg's though. Thanks for sharing this info!

Blackstone can't read viscosity accurately, their listed values "should be" category isn't even the 50weight viscosity range. This M1 should be around 17.1cSt per Mobil.
I will have a UOA of this oil with about 5hrs of track time and some street miles to send off in late November. That should give an idea with regards to sheer stability.

Very timely post. I am about to put 5w50 European Car (FSx2) into my car, but debating putting the new Dexos R supercar in. Word on the street is it has more ZDDP, and more Boron

It is interesting that this VOA for 5W50 Euro FSx2 is lower in Zinc and Phorhorus that used oil analysis others have posted of this oil.

To the comments that Mobil 1 oils are on the low side of viscocity. The exact reason I decided to move away from 0w40 Euro, to 5w50 Euro F2 for my A40 spec'd car.

Attachments

• Latest UOA.jpg
    Latest UOA.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 71
Very timely post. I am about to put 5w50 European Car (FSx2) into my car, but debating putting the new Dexos R supercar in. Word on the street is it has more ZDDP, and more Boron

It is interesting that this VOA for 5W50 Euro FSx2 is lower in Zinc and Phorhorus that used oil analysis others have posted of this oil.

To the comments that Mobil 1 oils are on the low side of viscocity. The exact reason I decided to move away from 0w40 Euro, to 5w50 Euro F2 for my A40 spec'd car.

I sent in the Euro and Supercar oils at the same exact time. I'm hoping to have the Supercar results back any day now. Per Mobils own literature, it should have around 1100ppm of Zinc. I should also have a higher PAO content based on the pour point, not that it means much in a fully formulated lubricant, but its there. I purchased 24 quarts of supercar last month through Napa when it was on sale for $10 a quart.

As for zinc levels in the Euro, Mobil still advertises 1000ppm Zinc, but batch and testing variance being what they are, the results in my VOA are within the margin of error. This is also the new SP formula, with reduced calcium, which means the level of zinc is more effective then the same level in the old SN formula. There is a good video on this by Lakespeed Jr on Youtube, where he talks about piston ring wear and ZDDP levels in SP oils (wear levels are lower in SP oils), due to the ZDDP not having to compete with the calcium at the metals surface.

Blackstone can't read viscosity accurately, their listed values "should be" category isn't even the 50weight viscosity range. This M1 should be around 17.1cSt per Mobil.
I will have a UOA of this oil with about 5hrs of track time and some street miles to send off in late November. That should give an idea with regards to sheer stability.
What oil makers show & what oil analysis companies test are usually not in alignment. That's why BS "Range" is not what the oil makers show. The oil makers are usually on the high side of what comes out of any test lab. I bet if this was sent off to 3 different labs it would be under the stated 17.1 as we see here on this sheet. I'll await your UOA to see what your results are & I hope it turns out well for you on the track.

Wow! The 5w-50 was a mid 5w-40 on your 1,600 mile run. I'm sure it dipped into a 40 somewhat early but I can believe how it beat those 5w-40 into 11's.

Would you both benefit from a 15w-50? IMO you'd be able to maintain viscosity for a bit longer than the 5w-50.

Bump, this oil is on sale right now for $6/quart if you buy 10 at Napa. Great deal!

What oil makers show & what oil analysis companies test are usually not in alignment. That's why BS "Range" is not what the oil makers show. The oil makers are usually on the high side of what comes out of any test lab. I bet if this was sent off to 3 different labs it would be under the stated 17.1 as we see here on this sheet. I'll await your UOA to see what your results are & I hope it turns out well for you on the track.

Wow! The 5w-50 was a mid 5w-40 on your 1,600 mile run. I'm sure it dipped into a 40 somewhat early but I can believe how it beat those 5w-40 into 11's.

Would you both benefit from a 15w-50? IMO you'd be able to maintain viscosity for a bit longer than the 5w-50.

It wasn't my car, but I agree, all the Mobil 1s do seem to shear very very quickly.

Back