Safelite using wiper upsell to boost profit margin?

Safelite must make good money.

My Prius Prime took a rock. I have a $2k deductible so had to pay out of pocket.

$350 for the windshield, $150 for installation, $500 to recalibrate the collision camera. They got me in and out in 2 hours, which is pleasing, except for paying all that labor.

Yeah my wife actually called me when they replaced her windshield, I told her to say no thanks. We can get some new ones at Wally World for about half of what they quoted.

60 isn’t awful for wiper blades these days. Not sure what kind they are using. I think I paid around 50 over the counter out of town at a VW dealer for mine. The generic ones sit far too high IMO compared to the OE on the car I will order them from an online dealer with some other items next time to soften the blow

Also many times your manufacturer dealer will have a good glass person that does it at the dealer for much less than Safelite. No one else has tv commercials like safelite. That costs lots of money
The vast majority of dealers use automotive glass installers (such as ) for this. Its treated the same way as small scratches or tears in the leather interiors-they call those guys that come out and fix those imperfections. It's far cheaper than their own shop rates. The Ford dealer here is $250.00 an hour. Each department in a large dealer is their own profit center.

Safelite's revenue in 2022 was over A BILLION DOLLARS.

quote-
Subaru wants you to get Eyesight recalibrated so you'll need to do that at the dealer although I have heard some Safelight places have the kit to do this. It's not cheap so check if covered by windshield repair / deductible.

For what it's worth, when I had my windshield replaced with OEM glass at the dealer they called Safelite in to do the actual work.

Last edited:
I guess I'm glad I run old trucks and not fancy Hondas or VWs

I buy the cheapest I can get and replace as needed. To me, to pay $60 for a pair of wipers is insanity. $20 absolute max ($10 ea)

My newest is my '19 JL and to worry about how high wipers sit on a near-vertical windshield is, um, amusing.

My son-in-law recently had a new windshield installed in his 18 Civic. When the technician installed the new windshield, he then switched to his sales side. He told my son-in-law that unless he had the technician install new wiper blades for $60, the old blades could scratch the new windshield and void the lifetime warranty. However, to soften the blow, a person can stop in at any Safelite location in six months and they will install a new pair of wiper blades for free.
Yeah, that happened to me a couple of years ago, when I had my windshield replaced. Wasn't a hard sell, I just said 'no thanks'.
Same thing happened at my tire rotation at DT recently.....

Back