Volvo dealer used abrasive wheel to clean engine sump

I agree in your situation. My initial response was about the guy’s neighbor picketing a dealership over his dissatisfaction. It only went further off track from the initial thread from there.

During my dealership experience I feel like the dealership itself would have offered you a full detail and 5 oil changes, free oil changes and detail jobs are their favorite way to make problems go away. Ford would have offered you a trade in bonus, Lincoln probably would have offered your choice of a trade in bonus or a set of tires and gift certificate to a steak house.

I guess they could all stick to “that’s how it’s done, sorry you’re not happy” but the dealer principals I worked for would not have responded in that manner. The only way a customer would get that kind of reaction from them is if you went in cursing and making threats. Then they’d get “sorry we weren’t able to meet your standards for service, we suggest you find an establishment that can.”
If it wasn’t obvious, I was very polite when I spoke with them in person. Quiet. But firm. Well dressed.

Still playing phone tag with the service manager.

Does the Volvo have a spin on filter or a cartridge one? Do the cartridge ones have a metal cover to hold a magnet?

I have a FILTERMAG on my spin on filters to help catch extra junk. When I cut them open they always have that fine powder/sludge like you collect on the magnetic drain plugs.

Does the Volvo have a spin on filter or a cartridge one? Do the cartridge ones have a metal cover to hold a magnet?

I have a FILTERMAG on my spin on filters to help catch extra junk. When I cut them open they always have that fine powder/sludge like you collect on the magnetic drain plugs.
It’s a cartridge. With a composite housing that screws into the aluminum sump. No way to add a magnet to that, hence the magnetic drain plug.

Update

Spent an hour on the phone last night with the Service Manager from the Dealership (and I applaud his repeated efforts to get in touch with me, I keep a busy schedule).

Let me state, up front, that he was constructive, polite, and helpful. He’s a car guy. He’s heard of HPL from his days in drag racing. That alone impressed me. I was pleased by the conversation.

Where we disagreed - the use of a Roloc or Scotchbrite abrasive pad was OK. He stands by his tech, and his tech (who I will call “J”) owns an R model. They like the Roloc, it provided a good surface for sealing, and it quickly prepares the surface. I do not like the Roloc or Scotchbrite. J has been working on Volvos for 30 years. The dealership gives him the tough cases, including the R models. We stand apart on this issue.

Let me state, again, that I was grateful for the tow on the day the car didn’t start. Volvo paid for that. I was happy with the suspension troubleshooting and repair (and it was an accelerometer on the left front strut causing an intermittent suspension fault). I was happy with the rear axle replacement (OK, not, like super happy, because it was expensive, and some piece of road debris caused it, but I am happy it was found and fixed).

So, on those points, we agree. I thanked him for that work. I made sure that he knew I was happy with that work.

Here is the big point, on which we agreed - the way forward. We agreed to monitor the car through UOA. I posted the first one. Wayne and I (right @wwillson ?) will sample the current run of HPL at regular 1,000 mile intervals. The dealership will cover the costs of those UOA and if there is engine damage, they will make it right.

The Service Manager and I agree that any damage will show up quickly in a UOA. The UOA was his idea, and he was surprised that I had already done one.

So, we have several points of agreement, and while I disagree with their position on surface preparation, I am pleased that we were able to find those points of agreement, and find a way ahead for the car that addresses my concern.

Frankly, after this conversation, and after looking at the other work that was done - I am OK with them working on the car again. I do need a place to get the car serviced out there.

I know that many of you guys will not understand that, but I can work with a company, and in this case, a guy, that reached out, addressed my concerns, and had a constructive way forward.

This thread represents all of the public statements I have made on this topic. No Google review. No other public posts until they had a chance to resolve things. Since I reached out to Volvo NA - I plan to close the loop on this issue with praise for how the guy reached out, and his suggestion on the way forward.

TL;DR - I am happy with how they resolved it. I will use them again.

Last edited:
@Astro14, glad to hear that you were able to get to a point of reasonable compromise on this situation with the service manager. I am assuming that this agreement has been documented to ensure your interest is protected in case the Manager leaves that dealership or management overrides him in the future. I applaud your diligence in pursuing this situation to a very reasonable and seemingly fair resolution. Whether it was by happenstance that the service manager had a similar understanding or not, it was refreshing to know we still have individuals in this business (and in this country) who can use the voice of reason to find middle ground.

You need to follow the tech to his house, and put his hand on the kitchen table.
And crank your angle grinder up..

You need to follow the tech to his house, and put his hand on the kitchen table.
And crank your angle grinder up..
C’mon, man, really?

I was upset about this, and I reached a decent resolution. It took some patience, and I kept my words professional and polite.

What would attacking the guy, or damaging his table, accomplish?

What to do:

Though it breaks my heart to dump 6 quarts of HPL with only 180 miles on it, I drove up to see Wayne with six quarts of new oil the next day. So, from this:

View attachment 182842

To this:

View attachment 182843

with a new filter.

A quick check of the magnetic plug after 180 miles:

View attachment 182845

Better.

Let’s look at the filter.

View attachment 182846

Also, better.
Why not just do a few dino oil changes, 25-50miles apart.
SP dino can stand up to easy turbo driving.

Why not just do a few dino oil changes, 25-50miles apart.
SP dino can stand up to easy turbo driving.
I encourage you to read the rest of the thread. Of particular note, we poured in the HPL before examining the filter, so it was coming out after a short run, and we did perform a couple of changes, as you suggest. Also, it’s over 50 miles one way to Wayne’s house from my hotel, so I couldn’t do short oil changes, and I don’t have tools in Colorado.

I like your idea. The constraints in Colorado, of time, distance, and tools, prevented me from doing just that.

Your suggestion would be more practical if this happened in Virginia Beach, where I could do the work myself, but then, if the car were in Virginia Beach, I would not have had the dealer do the work in the first place. So..

Last edited:
The fact the dealer still is adamant that using a scotchbrite pad via a power tool to clean a gasket mating surface would put me off using the in the future full stop. I don't care how good their other work was. What else are they doing that they shouldn't be?

I can't believe this thread is still going.. Have they paid Astro off yet, so he will go away?
Did they offer him extra money with the caveat he can never show foot in their garage again? :)

I can't believe this thread is still going.. Have they paid Astro off yet, so he will go away?
Did they offer him extra money with the caveat he can never show foot in their garage again? :)
I posted a big update yesterday. I am happy with the way forward and we could close the thread. I consider the matter resolved.

But, I had planned to keep it open and post the UOAs as we do them. I am in Colorado every other month, so, I don’t drive the car as much as I would like. The first UOA at 1,000 miles might not be for another couple of months.

I think the future UOAs would be both interesting and germane to the story line.

But as far as me going away? You mean giving up? Yeah, that wasn’t likely…

Last edited:
I have mixed feeling about no review, i don't see anything wrong with a truthful review that gives credit where credit is due and points out flaws.

I still disagree that its ok to use the disc and their standing behind it is somewhat off-putting, though i agree that it seems they have handled it well.

The bottom line is that nothing will change for the next guy if they do not feel like they did anything wrong.

I have mixed feeling about no review, i don't see anything wrong with a truthful review that gives credit where credit is due and points out flaws.

I still disagree that its ok to use the disc and their standing behind it is somewhat off-putting, though i agree that it seems they have handled it well.

The bottom line is that nothing will change for the next guy if they do not feel like they did anything wrong.
I didn’t want to leave a review until they had the opportunity to resolve the situation. A review prior to their resolution didn’t seem fair. A lot of people use a negative Google review as a starting point for addressing a problem, but if you’ve already publicly slammed someone, then an effective resolution is more difficult to achieve.

Back