I bought a 2010 Prius for $3000

I put in the Ebay headlights last night... eh, ok. They look nice. Each headlight has two adjusters. One of them has a connector on it - it looks like the adjuster for the HID headlights with auto leveling.

Neither adjuster seems to do anything. The low beams have a sharp cutoff line. I would like it to be a little bit higher, but it's not too bad. It's an improvement from the cloudy stock headlights, I guess. The beam pattern doesn't seem as smooth as original.

Kind of wish I'd spent a little more...

I put in the Ebay headlights last night... eh, ok. They look nice. Each headlight has two adjusters. One of them has a connector on it - it looks like the adjuster for the HID headlights with auto leveling.

Neither adjuster seems to do anything. The low beams have a sharp cutoff line. I would like it to be a little bit higher, but it's not too bad. It's an improvement from the cloudy stock headlights, I guess. The beam pattern doesn't seem as smooth as original.

Kind of wish I'd spent a little more...
Same thing happened to me when I bought replacements for my Crown Vic, really crummy light pattern as well as very little adjustability. Problem solved with some OEM ones although for that car they are cheap.

Nice score by the way at 3000!

I've seen a video about replacing all the active components in a Prius battery to make it "like new again" for not much money. Looked like a weekend's work.

That would make this a steal.
Good luck finding modules in good condition. That would have been a good project in 2005-10 era but not anymore.

I've seen a video about replacing all the active components in a Prius battery to make it "like new again" for not much money. Looked like a weekend's work.

That would make this a steal.
The cells you mean? If you replace them all you are paying probably similar to a reman battery with all new cells, plus the risk of hurting yourself if you make a mistake. I can see replacing only a couple DIY would make sense but not all of them.

Good luck finding modules in good condition. That would have been a good project in 2005-10 era but not anymore.
In theory if Toyota did use compatible cells between gens, you can take them apart from a newer pack and salvage the cells for older pack, but again, for DIY it is not worth the effort. You have to scale it to probably at least a few packs a week to worth it.

In theory if Toyota did use compatible cells between gens, you can take them apart from a newer pack and salvage the cells for older pack, but again, for DIY it is not worth the effort. You have to scale it to probably at least a few packs a week to worth it.
I don’t even know where an individual can buy used cells from a newer pack? The rebuild places buy up all of the packs nowadays.

This sounds like a solid deal.
Amazed that Toyota will warranty the paint on a thirteen year old 200K+ car.
Hope you can fix the little niggles cheaply and that this brilliant little car services you well.
The Prius series may be the best cars Toyota made.

Incredible find. Super practical. Good a great deal. And you can afford to play with it with no risk of not getting out of it a good investment.

Real nice buy! - Post up some before pictures of the paint.
1000001055.jpg

1000001054.jpg

1000001052.jpg

1000001053.jpg

Nice find and hope you get your $3K out of it, which I suspect you will.

I used to own a 2004 Honday Odyssey that was manufactured with defective blue paint / incompatible primer. Some years later, Honda offered an extended warranty to those owners, but only up to X years old (6-7 I think?) and 150K.

We took ours in right before the extended warranty expired due to places where paint had fallen off-- these were in small locations that no paint should chip (like inside the window to body panel crevice). Two dealers stated the damage didn't meet the threshold for repaint. They were probably right, but 1+ years later, the paint was falling off in large chunks and I had zero recourse. Honda knew exactly when to time that extended warranty expiration.

Paint should wear out, not fail completely. Glad Toyota stepped up to the plate in your case.

I also used to have a blue Odyssey, and it had a paint peeling issue. I think I was well past the warranty, though, so we just lived with it and eventually it got hit by another driver and totaled. I believe Honda also had a peeling problem with the white Odysseys.

We are at about 2600 miles so far... I figure we save about $0.10 a mile compared to the minivan. So maybe I will get $3000 of good out of it.

Bought my 2010 back in 2014 with 168k miles (presumably highway miles being a 4 year old car). I have proceeded to put another 625k on it. Now nearing 800k miles so I have a little experience with these.
Biggest maintenance headache is the EGR system with EGR cooler, EGR valve and intake manifold clogging up. I used to take the whole system apart and clean it annually but for the last couple years I've just had the EGR valve unplugged. Runs great. Not good for the engine in theory but hasn't melted down yet. Being a 2010 mine does burn some oil, probably a quart every couple thousand miles.

It did pop the head gasket at 510k. But I caught it literally day one and pulled the head, did a valve job and resurface, went back with an oem head gasket and ARP head studs (3SGTE). Probably overkill. Knowing what I know now, maybe a felpro would have been better. I had one but it wouldn't lay flat on the block but evidently that's how it's designed. (I actually used the felpro on another Prius I bought with a blown head gasket. It worked fine) Not an expensive job but fairly labor intensive if you work slow and methodical like I do. Gasketmasters in California can come to your house and complete the job in under 4 hours though.

Front wheel bearings seem really robust. Bolt on assemblies, not a press job. But they can kinda seize/corrode in the aluminum knuckles. I replaced my fronts chasing a weird noise. Turns out the noise was the CV boots when they are cold. Rear hub assemblies don't seem to last more than 175k in my experience. Super easy to replace though. The hardest part is fumbling with the ABS sensor clip on the back side. I'm also running 10 mm wheel spacers in the rear with longer studs and super heavy 17x7 factory wheels off a CT200h (Lexus) not doing the bearings any favors.

Factory front brakes lasted 250k, rears 350k!

Couple years ago I had the inverter fail. Evidently the early ones have a weakness. I got a low miles one from a 2015 from LKQ. $200, fairly straightforward install.

Been through a couple of the fancy JBL touch screen folding face radios. Finally just went with a simpler non touch screen JBL. Wore out a couple steering wheels also. Eventually got a factory leather one.

The electric water pumps seem to be on borrowed time after 300K.

My transmission fluid was jet black at 200k. Subsequent drain and fills have been far less dramatic.

It's been the best car I've ever owned, easy to maintain and work on. Tons of used parts available. For a while parts off wrecked 2015s were nearly new but now even those are getting some age on them.

I will address the battery in another post.

Nice looking car. I can't believe I've never seen anything about the paint issue. That's news to me.
I'm curious, did you have to remove the front bumper cover to install the new headlight assemblies?

Back