Royal Purple 0W40 worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of sitting back in your chair doubting and naysaying, do some research yourself, stop relying on uneducated people, ask a professional, and for gods sake quit whining!

You guys would have never made it in the army or the petro industry...

The weak get culled.

Originally Posted By: jeeprnovru
And that fluid was RP........

You dont understand the point of this???

You don't understand my point obviously. I'm sure your friends would. The Royal Purple was the least viscous fluid out of all the fluids tested. It also required the least amount of power.

Why do you suppose that is?

—By Francisco Gonzalez,
Director of Reliability, Enterprise Products

Improved Reliability With Lubricant Upgrades

Enterprise Products Dedicated Resources to Reliability, Including Use of High Grade Synthetic Lube Oil to Solve Operating Problems

Enterprise Products Partners L.P. is one of the largest publicly traded energy partnerships with an enterprise value of more than $14 billion, and a leading North American provider of midstream energy services to producers and consumers of natural gas, natural gas liquids (NGLs) and crude oil. The company transports natural gas, NGLs and crude oil through 32,500 miles (52,293 km) of onshore and offshore pipelines and is among industry leaders in the development of midstream infrastructure in the Deepwater Trend of the Gulf of Mexico. Just eight years ago, Enterprise Products operated 200,000 bhp (149,120 kW) of equipment, most of which was at its Mont Belvieu facility in Texas, U.S.A. Today, Enterprise Products operates equipment totaling in excess of 1.6 million bhp (1193 MW).

The Mont Belvieu plant operates 25 York centrifugal compressors in the 4000 hp (2982 kW) class, 15 of which are in DIB Isobutane service. It also operates over 500 pumps ranging from 10 to 600 hp (7.45 to 447 kW), 90% of which run at 3600 rpm.

In 1996, the Mont Belvieu facility had no mechanical or reliability engineers on-site. Efforts at predictive maintenance consisted of oil analysis on critical equipment two to three times a year with vibration measurements not exceeding twice yearly. No online equipment monitoring was in place. As a result, the plant was totally in a reactive maintenance mode. Everyone wanted good reliability, but no one wanted to pay to put the people and tools in place to achieve it. Consequently, the plant relied heavily on consultants and vendors resulting in a patchwork of partial solutions to the plant's reliability issues.

Today, very limited reactive maintenance occurs at the Mont Belvieu plant, even though production demands often greatly extend, or even eliminate, routine maintenance and oil change intervals. The key to achieving this was making an ongoing commitment to dedicate resources specifically to reliability, which included on-site engineers with the proper equipment and training. Extensive preventive and predictive maintenance is now in place that includes online monitoring and equipment protection of critical equipment, routine oil analysis and monthly vibration monitoring on all equipment (over 7,000 points monthly). Our latest step in assuring reliability was to make use of a high-grade synthetic lube oil for all the operating equipment in our Mont Belvieu facility.

We learned many things on our journey to improved reliability about the value and proper use of various reliability tools for different applications and how to work as a team to develop a total program. These important aspects in attaining our goals cannot be adequately addressed in this article, but the competent and dedicated efforts of Maintenance Superintendent Tommy Branning and Maintenance Foreman David Wright, can not be overstated. But this story is about how we discovered an important and unexpected reliability tool that might have been completely overlooked, if not for a request for assistance from the operations group to help them reduce oil consumption.

Maintenance Foreman David Wright checked out this two-stage York centrifugal compressor model M255B on Isobutane service coupled up to a Solar T4702S Centaur gas turbine.

In this picture, you can see the associated instrumentation for the lube oil and seal oil systems.

The Mont Belvieu plant operates 25 York centrifugal compressors, 15 of which are in DIB ISO butane service. These 15 compressors averaged 7 to 10 equipment failures each year. The common failure mode was that the 5800 rpm shaft would weld to the babbited aluminum journal bearing, resulting in a repair cost of $60,000 to $150,000 per failure, depending on the damage. These failures were caused because the lubricating oil would absorb hydrocarbon gases causing a significant drop in oil viscosity of two ISO viscosity grades or more. The six “swing service” compressors were particularly susceptible to oil viscosity loss requiring frequent oil changes. While operations accepted the failures as being normal, they viewed the $200,000 annual lubricant cost for the compressors as being excessive and asked for assistance in reducing this expense.

We elected to run controlled tests using our current lube oil, a major brand polyalfaolefin (PAO) synthetic oil, an alternate major brand poly glycol (PAG) synthetic oil and Royal Purple Synfilm® NGL synthetic oil. Both of the alternate oils are designed to reduce the dilution effects of light hydrocarbons on oil viscosity. All oils had an ISO viscosity of 68. After five months of testing, we determined that the PAG fluid was most resistant to hydrocarbon gas dilution and we converted three compressors to this fluid. That is when we discovered the unintended consequences of our decision. The PAG's tendency to hold water created emulsions in our oil water separator causing an environmental issue. It also resulted in unacceptable moisture traveling downstream of the compressor to the catalyst bed.

Shown is a two-stage York centrifugal compressor model M255B on Isobutane service coupled up to a Solar T4702S Centaur gas turbine.

This illustration shows a front view of the York compressor as well as the associated instrumentation for the lube oil system.

The bearing lube oil system, which uses Royal Purple® NGL 100 oil, is embedded in the compressor body. The lube oil comes in contact with the process gas through the A4 seal during operation. The main oil sump is vented to the suction of the machine, thus oil saturates with process gas.

Consequently, the lubricating properties of the oil are extremely important in order to sustain proper lubrication.

We had to drain the PAG lubricant from the compressors and thoroughly flush them of all residual oil. We then refilled the six “swing” compressors with Synfilm® NGL, which had originally been our second lubricant choice. Royal Purple claimed that Synfilm® NGL's high film strength additives offered advantages of greater wear protection and machine reliability, and indeed, we did find a dual benefit from using this oil. In the first year, we not only reduced oil purchases but also reduced historical maintenance costs by $350,000.

Based on these results, we converted the balance of the compressors to Synfilm® NGL. We still have occasional compressor failures, but the damage is limited to the thrust bearings caused by excessive compressor surge events. We no longer have catastrophic failure modes with bearings welded to shafts. We have even avoided damage on several occasions when process upsets have caused compressors to coast down under low oil pressure alarms. We avoided one catastrophic failure when a faulty shutdown switch allowed one of the York compressors to run for three hours with only one psi of oil pressure. Damage was limited to high wear on the thrust bearing. Over the last seven years, we estimate that the improved compressor lubrication has resulted in maintenance savings of $800,000 per year.

Royal Purple® synthetic lube oil is available in various sizes of containers, from quarts to 55 gallon drums.

Here, drums of Royal Purple® 46 are being readied for charging the lube systems of the Rotoflow expanders.

This success prompted us to look for other opportunities where reliability might be improved through improved lubrication. One such opportunity was a 200 hp (149 kW) Rotoflow warm expander. Two of these machines shared the same oil reservoir. One never failed and the other experienced catastrophic failure every four to five months like clockwork. The failure mode was that two 180° F (82° C) opposed ball bearings would split in half. The manufacturer suggested a change in the lube delivery system but couldn't provide information where it had ever been successfully implemented. Each failure resulted in a $30,000 repair cost and $160,000 in lost production. We elected to try a new lubricant while continuing to work with other consultants and vendors for a solution. We changed the mineral oil 32 to Royal Purple Synfilm® 32, which increased the time to failure to nine months saving over $200,000. The ultimate solution, however, proved to be the addition of a small needle bearing on the lower gear to relieve thrust loading on the deep grove roller bearings.

We had another problem with the journal bearing in a 10,000 hp (7456 kW) Demag Delaval compressor that routinely developed high temperatures in the summer that limited production. By changing the mineral oil 32 to Royal Purple Synfilm® GT 32, bearing temperatures were reduced from 225° to 170° - 175° F (107° to 77° - 79° C) a 50° F (10° C) drop, eliminating the need to reduce production in summer months.

We achieved additional savings after changing our four Solar genset turbines to this same oil. One turbine experienced a lube oil pump shaft failure which interrupted oil flow to the turbine. The high film strength properties of the new oil enabled the turbine to coast down without damage. This same turbine experienced the same failure six months later with only minor bearing damage in the gear box, resulting in a $30,000 repair. The potential maintenance savings from using the high film strength oil was $325,000 per incident.

We have since upgraded the lubricant in all pumps, motors and turbines and have seen improved reliability across the board ... lower temperatures, lower bearing vibration and much longer trend intervals between first diagnosis of bearing problems until failure.

Shown is a Rotoflow mixed gas expander with a speed reduction gearbox.

The main expander shaft operates at 17,000 rpm, and the output shaft to the generator operates at 1800 rpm. This expander is coupled to a 200 kW generator.

The expander operates at -180° F (-118° C), and the speed reduction gearbox operates at 120° F (49° C).

Note the speed reduction gear box and the cold box body where the expander wheel and the impeller volute are contained. This machine uses Royal Purple® 46 lube oil.

The Mont Belvieu facility operates over 500 pumps ranging from 10 to 600 hp (7.45 to 447 kW), 90% of which run at 3600 rpm. The forty horizontal splitline pipeline pumps averaged one failure in the babbited sleeve bearing and / or ball thrust bearing every six weeks. The failure rate has been reduced to one every six months since changing the oil from the mineral oil 32 to Synfilm® 32. Cooling tower gear boxes that used to experience annual bearing replacements have now exceeded five years in service since upgrading the lubricant. We have reduced the failure rate in our 200 fin-fans from two to three repairs per week to one per month by upgrading to a high film strength synthetic grease. There simply have been no applications where we have elected to upgrade the quality of our lubricants that we did not see measurable improvement.

When we began implementing a comprehensive maintenance reliability program, lubricant selection was limited to making sure we had the right type and viscosity of oil in our equipment. It was only by chance that we began an initial lubricants evaluation program that quickly taught us how significantly lubricant selection can alter equipment reliability and availability. In hindsight, this should not have been so surprising because most of our rotating equipment maintenance involves the replacement of lubricated components.

While improved lubrication has proven to be only part of the solution to achieving Enterprise Products' significantly improved equipment reliability, our experience has shown it to be an immensely important part, and one that is too frequently discounted or overlooked by many maintenance groups. The key to any successful preventive and predictive maintenance program is competent maintenance personnel. Tommy Branning and David Wright were instrumental in identifying equipment problem areas.

—Article courtesy of CompressorTechTwo magazine

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
And that fluid was RP........

You dont understand the point of this???

You don't understand my point obviously. I'm sure your friends would. The Royal Purple was the least viscous fluid out of all the fluids tested. It also required the least amount of power.

Why do you suppose that is?

BECAUSE IT LUBRICATES MORE RELIABLY WITH LESS REDUCTION IN POWER, ERGO ITS A BETTER LUBRICANT THAT RELIES ON FILM STRENGTH
RATHER THAN HIGH VISCOSITY........

And here is the article from which the picture came......

http://www.royal-purple-industrial.com/compressor_tech/compressor_tech.html

RP makes good products, and synerlec goes into ALL of those products....my logic is irrefutable!

And im not defensive im getting angry and how hardheaded and resistant to fact and information you are.....People like you are the reason the world is the way it is....

1. Nobody said they didn't make good products. I've said that at least three times in this thread. This is probably the fourth.

2. What facts am I resisting?

3. If people who don't take the word of some guy who they don't know from Adam ranting on a message board and posting pictures from the product he's supporting's website as the gosphel truth is what you mean by "people like you", then I guess that fits the bill quite nicely.

Carry on.

Ill let you take some time to read that, because apparently you have trouble with reading comprehension, in the mean time i will go back to work defending our country and making a difference in society, while you do............whatever it is you..."do"

GOOD DAY

RP makes good products, and synerlec goes into ALL of those products....my logic is irrefutable!

And im not defensive im getting angry and how hardheaded and resistant to fact and information you are.....People like you are the reason the world is the way it is....

1. Nobody said they didn't make good products. I've said that at least three times in this thread. This is probably the fourth.

3. If people who don't take the word of some guy who they don't know from Adam ranting on a message board and posting pictures from the product he's supporting's website as the gosphel truth is what you mean by "people like you", then I guess that fits the bill quite nicely.

Carry on.

AGAIN....the tech article and pic from RPs website were sourced from : Article courtesy of CompressorTechTwo magazine

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL SON!

Ill let you take some time to read that, because apparently you have trouble with reading comprehension, in the mean time i will go back to work defending our country and making a difference in society, while you do............whatever it is you..."do"

GOOD DAY

I thought you were a mechanic? (you referenced your shop in your first post in this thread) Now you are defending the country?

You must be Dos Equis!

dosequis_interesting.jpg

grin.gif

BTW, I have no issue with reading comprehension. I'm using what is called objectivity, rather than blind faith, which appears to be the school of thought you subscribe to.

Carry on.

AGAIN....the tech article and pic from RPs website were sourced from : Article courtesy of CompressorTechTwo magazine

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL SON!

So, if Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords does a 302 build up, and the build up is sponsored by Redline. And of course the results are favourable. Redline then posts pictures and links to that article on their website. And then everybody who sees this on Redline's website are supposed to just blindly "see the truth" (like you have done) that Redline is the Holy Grail of motor oil because it was in a magazine article?

You are right, reading is fundamental. As is the subsequent comprehension and objectivity of analysing what has been read after the fact. The distillation of that information in your head and making sense out of what kinds of conclusions can be drawn and what questions remain come after.

I'm not saying the marketing testimonials on RP's site are false. They clearly are not. But they are marketing testimonials nonetheless and they are not going to post testimonials that aren't favourable.

GOOD DAY

I thought you were a mechanic? (you referenced your shop in your first post in this thread) Now you are defending the country?

You must be Dos Equis!

dosequis_interesting.jpg

grin.gif

BTW, I have no issue with reading comprehension. I'm using what is called objectivity, rather than blind faith, which appears to be the school of thought you subscribe to.

My shop yes.....i race and race allot...enough to have my own shop and be a reputable source for work from racers who arent so fortunate to have a life ect......get it???

And how is ALL the proof you have seen today "blind faith" im starting to think you are nothing more than a message board troll........i hope you are not that thick for your sake

and here is a little more for you:

Major Oil Refinery:

Ultraformer pump failing and would shut down unit production. Major brand Synthetic 32 changed to RP Synfilm 32 while operating (1 quart of oil). Vibrations, temperatures and noise reduced to where repair was no longer deemed necessary and pump remained in service for 2 more years.

$50,000 savings on pump repair
downtime avoided savings (greater than $100,000 per day)

Amoco Chemical:

high pressure reciprocating ethylene compressors
changed from competing synthetic oil to RP NGL-NS 460 in cylinders, packing and crankcase
machine utilization went from mid 60% to high 90% range
maintenance cost reduced by 50%
increased production valued at millions of dollars

Dow Chemical:

12,700 HP electric motor driving polypropylene extruder gear box
journal bearing temperature would exceed critical level (85°C) on high density product runs necessitating production rate cutbacks to remain operational
major brand synthetic oil 68 changed to RP Synfilm GT 68
bearing temperature decreased 6-8°C and never exceeded 78°C
production was increased by 18,000 lbs per hour
subsequently major brand EP gear oil in extruder gear box was changed to RP Synergy
3.1% energy savings valued at $22,105 per each 1000 hours operation

BASF Chemical:

10,000 HP A-C Acetylene Compressor
operating for over 4 years on common lube console with the same 3,500 gallons of RP Synfilm 32
frequent upsets introduce large volumes of water into system, which is regularly drained from the sump
after an upset caused the compressor to run in reverse, it was taken down for maintenance the oil drained from the sleeve bearing had over 25% water in it – yet neither the bearing or shaft showed any damage....

READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just had to throw that in, gotta go do things that matter now seriously...

Last edited:

GOOD DAY

I've read this thread with some interest. Not for the good information, but to see just how far you would go with your childish ranting. How old are you? 12? 13? While you may be older than that, your emotional maturity is stuck at beginning adolescence.

You are the one with the comprehension problem, as you have not comprehended much of anything that was posted here. You have slung insults and tried to pass off hearsay and marketing fluff as reliable information. Grow up and get the chip off your shoulder and maybe some of us will start paying attention to you.

One more thing. As a military veteran, I'd like to know how you are defending our country. Service branch, rank, MOS, and unit of assignment would be a good start.

Last edited:
I didn't even read this thread and I have a feeling this is going to be closed.

OP, take from a lesson I learned. Doesn't matter how much you ask in here, people have their opinions and preferences. The thing to do is just try it out for yourself...as long as the oil specs meet your car requirements. I did that with M1 5w-40 TDT and absolutely hate that oil. It's going to get changed out after being used less than 1k mi.

Anyway, try out the RP and report back your personal experiences. I've been wanting to try it out as well but haven't seen many user reports.

I have had some experience with Royal Purple, but haven't used their engine oils. I started out using their Max EZ power steering fluid in my Camaro when I first raced it. I was having trouble with loss of power assist when making fast transitions between turns. I drained out the factory fluid and replaced it with Royal Purple, and the power steering problem was cured. I have used Max EZ in the car for 9 years now, and the power steering still performs with no discernible change at 163,000 miles and probably 90 accumulated track days.

Then I started using RP lubes in the 6-speed manual transmission and differential. The transmission is still in fine condition, but I did change to Redline last winter because of stiff shifting in very cold conditions.

My experience with the RP diff lube has not been excellent. I have had multiple axle failures on the Camaro in which the axle surfaces running against the outboard bearings have spalled due to repeated high, sustained cornering loads. I don't necessarily blame RP because this problem is a known deficiency in the Camaro, but it does show that RP is not a silver bullet for fixing wear problems.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
To the OP, sorry this thread got so far off your subject! It started out so well...

Why are you apologizing? You're not the one at fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back