Review: Northern Tools 24v Cordless Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
In short, the 1/2" cordless impact from Northern Tool is handy to have around. It'll bust off most lug nuts easily, except the ones where jumping on the lug wrench is necessary. The charger takes an hour, and it works. Not bad for around $100.

This probably means it putting about 100 - 125 ft-lb torque. I thought the documentation claims over 200 ft-lb.

It does. Then again, I weigh 140 lbs, and was jumping up and down on the lug wrench to remove this nut. As in standing on the end of the lug wrench jumping. Probably close to 250 ft-lbs of torque generated by me doing so.

I'll see if it improves as I break the batteries in.

Will it get lug nuts off torqued to let say 125 ft-lbs? Can it remove and replace the lugs on 4 wheels for a tire rotation w/o recharging the batteries?

It's gotten off some pretty tight lugs. And yes, it'll easily do a tire rotation without a recharge. I haven't recharged mine since the first charge a few weeks ago. In that time I've rotated a set of tires and used it for taking stubborn fasteners off of body panels.

It definitely has more torque for removal than to put on again. I'd check the tightened fasteners with a torque wrench to see where they're at. I'd guess it will tighten to about 80 ft/lbs or so.

Thanks, I was more concerned with the removal part of the job. I would snug the lug nuts with it, then run them home with a torque wrench. I might just have to grab one!

I've used mine a bunch more than I thought I would. It's handy to grab it, an adapter or socket, and use it to quickly tighten/loosen a nut on something.

It also makes tire rotations go a LOT faster. It's so easy now to zap off 25 lug nuts (including the spare), then zap them back on. Plus I can use it with my scissor jack, so it's fast and convenient.

Quick update: I took the cordless impact yarding today getting winter wheels for the Buick, and striking out on the same task for the Fit.

With a recently-charged battery, the impact took care of 20 lug nuts of unknown torque well. It got them all off. Pressing the impact into the lugnut helped to hammer them off after 5-15 seconds per nut. My breaker bar didn't need to be used.

Summary: no problems yet after using it a bunch more, and worth having around for jobs like this. It's definitely more powerful removing things than fastening them back again. Not a problem for me.

More important, The battery? How universal? How many? How much to replace? A battery op tool is sort of worthless if you don't have 2 battries. Will the charger manage overcharging?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: willix
More important, The battery? How universal? How many? How much to replace? A battery op tool is sort of worthless if you don't have 2 battries. Will the charger manage overcharging?

2 batteries, the charger shows a green light and stops making noise when done charging. The batteries are their own shape, with standard Ni-Cad cells inside. Others can be ordered from Northern Tool.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
The price is now $120. It used to be $100 in the past.

Glad I ordered mine when I did. It was a great bargain, well worth what they charged.

I would like to standardize on some battery, maybe the Dewalt 18V. I have too many different batteries and chargers and they are expensive when they go. I think the Dewalt 18B is $59 at Home Depot.

Why is the battery a NiCAD rather than a NiMH or LION. NiCAD is old technology in that it develops a memory.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Why is the battery a NiCAD rather than a NiMH or LION. NiCAD is old technology in that it develops a memory.

It's a cheap cordless tool. The Ni-Cad battery is standard fare for a low-end cordless tool.

At least it can be rebuilt for cheap since the technology is old and readily available.

It is back at $99. I have never purchased extended warranty in my life but I am seriously considering one for this tool as it (or the battery) is bound to die in next couple of years making rendering this a paper weight. Anybody know how Northern handles extended warranty via mail? Is extended warranty worth it?

Please somebody stop me before I order this :) I will have to tell my better half that this is my early Christmas present.

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back