Retreads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if they still exist for Light Trucks and cars?
They seemed to be popular in North America 30 years ago.

Retreads were more popular when a typical passanger or light truck tire lasted only 10,000 Miles. Now that tires typically last 40,000 Miles plus, The tire casing is usually to fatigued to retread.

This might rule them out
Quote:
Can I use TreadWright tires on the steering axle?

Answer:
In most cases YES. Commercial use vehicles have restrictions in some states. Check with your local DOT to find out if you can run them on the steering axle of a commercial vehicle.

Can't use them on the steering axle in Calif. (big surprise)

Originally Posted By: tom slick
This might rule them out

Can't use them on the steering axle in Calif. (big surprise)
Not on a semi or bus. There is a weight limit and I think it was 16,000lbs gvw. You can run retreads on the steer axle on a car or pickup in Ca..

there are also remolds, for example, Green Diamond tires.

they were great in the winter.

There is a difference with remolds, the carcass is reused, however, the rest of the tire is essentially rebuilt in the same fashion that a new tire is made.

Originally Posted By: Billbert
Retreads were more popular when a typical passanger or light truck tire lasted only 10,000 Miles. Now that tires typically last 40,000 Miles plus, The tire casing is usually to fatigued to retread.

Retreading for typical passenger car and light truck tires became obsolete when radial tires came out in the 1970s.

In days of old, when tires were built with criss-crossing nylon, rayon or cotton cords for their internal strength - such as the "4-ply nylons" that were so popular in the 1960s - it was possible to retread or "recap" them by buffing off the old tread rubber, applying a new layer of uncured rubber, placing them inside inverse-treaded hot molds and expannding them out to press new treads into the rubber with thick inner tubes carrying high pressure air inside them. The heat of the molds cured the rubber and bonded it onto the old tire casings. Radials cannot be expanded into molds with high pressure inside them like that because their under-tread steel belts hold their dimensions and prevent it.

Radials lasted so much longer than the former style when they were first introduced, literally 40,000 - 50,000 miles instead of 10,000 - 12,000 miles for a new or retreaded set of 4-ply nylon tires, that the demise of the old "recapping shops" went largely unnoticed by the motoring public.

The form of retreading that survives to this day involves basically gluing on new rubber treads and using a wrap-around process to apply pressure from the outside inward to bond them to the casings. It is not economically viable to do this for passenger car tires, considering the cost of buying new radials and how long they last, but it is still popular for large, special purpose tires. The "Bandag" process has been used for a long time to retread truck tires, for instance.

Last edited:
I would never run them in anything but a dually application where another tire can keep you safe= in control if/when a retread fails. Testing is done before reusing a casing, but it's a moot point to me, you could have casings anywhere from 5,000miles to 70,000miles old on one vehicle. Commercial tires are designed with retreading in mind, passenger cars or trucks are not. I've seen what casing separation does to light trucks on steering axles, there's a reason why it's illegal on rigs. If you lumber aorund off road, go for it. If you run highway at speed for extended periods, buy new, don't give it another thought!!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: expat
Anyone know if they still exist for Light Trucks and cars?
They seemed to be popular in North America 30 years ago.

I ran remolds before. Slightly different from retreads.... instead of gluing a tread on, the carcass is rebuilt with new rubber and vulcanized like a brand new tire.

Green Diamond tires are wicked awesome in the winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back