"Remolded" Tires from Treadwright........yikes!

Hi everyone,
I was recently on a pick up truck page and someone noted that they recently purchased new tires for their truck at a great price. They further went on to say that they were an exact copy of the BFG KO's. I was intrigued to do a bit more research about these Treadwright Tires.
After a quick Google search, I found that the tires that they sell are remolded used tires. And yes, they do copy the original molds of the big tire suppliers like BFG.
I have never heard of this process for passenger cars/trucks. I know that its common practice to "retread" tires in big trucks, but this is ridiculous!

How does a company get away with basically stealing the tread pattern from another company? They also noted that they put new DOT date codes on their tires. Well isn't a new date code really a lie since it's an old tire that simply has new tread glued on?

I can't imagine that this is really a safe practice. I would think that even a cheap foreign no name new tire has to be better than these.

Their process :

Has anyone heard of this before?

I suspect it won't be long before they are sued by one of the major tire brands for "reusing" their carcass and extending the major manufacturer's liability beyond the tires "designed" life.

It will be ugly, and probably be like the Firestone suits back in the day. IMO, they are one blowout from a major legal liability issue.

I would imagine they sell a pile to people with farm trucks and offroad people that don't drive highways much or for a 'weekend' vehicle. I'd totally use something like that in those use-cases. Towing my family around with the camper, ehh, doesn't enthuse me.

I suspect it won't be long before they are sued by one of the major tire brands for "reusing" their carcass and extending the major manufacturer's liability beyond the tires "designed" life.

It will be ugly, and probably be like the Firestone suits back in the day. They are one blowout from a major legal liability issue.
They totally buff the OE name off of them, so I don't know how you'd assign liability to the major manufacturer. Seems like they're taking that all on their shoulders.

It will be ugly, and probably be like the Firestone suits back in the day. IMO, they are one blowout from a major legal liability issue.
Umm, the retreaders that remake big truck tires aren't getting sued. Why would they?

They totally buff the OE name off of them, so I don't know how you'd assign liability to the major manufacturer. Seems like they're taking that all on their shoulders.
How do they account for the age of the tire carcass? It could be twenty years old.

Maybe they specify a cutoff age from the date code, like 10 years.
That'd be my guess.

The other thing I was thinking of, you could, and probably are likely to, end up with carcasses from multiple different manufacturers which just seems wrong since they would each build things a little differently.

Again, for farm truck/offroad duty, not a big deal, but I don't think so on the highway.

Unless they're doing matched sets, which didn't look like it and wouldn't make sense anyways.

How much cheaper is a rebuilt engine or transmission vs. new? The resulting product is nearly identical. I think I'd take a rebuilt U.S. or Michelin tire over a new Chinese tire any day.
The reviews for Treadwright are mixed. You can get a Chinese Milestar tires that have decent reviews. And with new tires (the carcass) they match. So-think about that.

Hi everyone,
I was recently on a pick up truck page and someone noted that they recently purchased new tires for their truck at a great price. They further went on to say that they were an exact copy of the BFG KO's. I was intrigued to do a bit more research about these Treadwright Tires.
After a quick Google search, I found that the tires that they sell are remolded used tires. And yes, they do copy the original molds of the big tire suppliers like BFG.
I have never heard of this process for passenger cars/trucks. I know that its common practice to "retread" tires in big trucks, but this is ridiculous!

How does a company get away with basically stealing the tread pattern from another company? They also noted that they put new DOT date codes on their tires. Well isn't a new date code really a lie since it's an old tire that simply has new tread glued on?

I can't imagine that this is really a safe practice. I would think that even a cheap foreign no name new tire has to be better than these.

Their process :

Has anyone heard of this before?

Your video doesn't show them gluing on a pre-molded tread. It shows them applying new rubber, then goes into the curing mold, like a new tire, but with a re-used carcass.

I've had Green Diamond remolds before. Never had issues. Also loved the grip in the winter, from the carbide chunks in the tread.

Umm, the retreaders that remake big truck tires aren't getting sued. Why would they?
All the new tires I have bought have serial numbers, and the tires are registered to me as the purchaser. If these guys "wipe" off the serial number and then retread, this is removing traceability and the NTSHA recalls will be literally "wiped clean".

The whole purpose for serializing the tires was so they could be tracked to date of manufacture, the manufacturer, and everything else in the event of a carcass failure.

Again, this was an outgrowth of the Firestone tire issues. All of this came afterwards to make finding out who, what, where, when, and how the tires were made possible and traceable.

Also, big truck tires are made to be "retreaded". Passenger car tires are disposable, and are designed that way.

How do they account for the age of the tire carcass? It could be twenty years old.
If memory serves you can reform rubber, takes pressure, heat and expensive chemicals. But from what I remember you end up with putty afterwards.

Gotta wonder what the magic sauce is or if they only use select tire brands under a certain age.

Back