Regane or Techron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TedSexington
But is it safe to use it after an oil change?

I'd say it's fine to use anytime. It may skew your UOA results. If it's needed, I think the benefits out weigh the side effects.

Quote:
Regane or Techron

Neither!! Use Amsoil PI
grin2.gif

So I just got a bottle of gumout's regane. it says for 21gallons. My tank is 15 gallons. Should I use 2/3 of the bottle or just the whole thing?

Originally Posted By: ajchien
So I just got a bottle of gumout's regane. it says for 21gallons. My tank is 15 gallons. Should I use 2/3 of the bottle or just the whole thing?

I use a full bottle in the 13 gallon tank of our Honda Civic every 5000 miles

One thing to remember is that the Chevron product is sold in different strengths - different concentrations. This of course is observed in the price difference.
Basically the same type of cleaners [Redline Chevron], although I'm sure there are minor differences.
I doubt the factories will tell us exactly what is in there.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
One thing to remember is that the Chevron product is sold in different strengths - different concentrations.

Yes when talking Chevron we should be discussing the Techron Concentrate. However the MSDS for this product used to list a large percentage of polyether amines and no longer does. That is the reason for the speculation that it no longer relies on the very effective PEA chemistry and concerns that it may no longer have its previous level of effectiveness. Redline SI-1 and Gumout Regane still list high concentrations (~30-45%) of PEA.

Amsoil PI
Hydrocarbon solvent………………Confidential………………………44.4 – 53.6%…………………N/E

Polyether amine……………………Confidential………………………27.7 – 36.9%…………………N/E

Petroleum Naphtha…………………64742-94-5……………………... .9 – 4.5%……………….……N/E

Substituted Aliphatic amine………Confidential…………………….….9 – 4.5%………….…………N/E

Naphthalene…………………………91-20-3……………………………. .0.2%…IARC Suspect Carcinogen NTP Carcinogen

Regane Complete Fuel System

KEROSENE 8008-20-6 60 - 70

POLYETHER AMINE MIXTURE 30 - 40

Techron Concentrate

Distillates, hydrotreated light 64742-47-8 < 50 %weight

Stoddard solvent 8052-41-3 < 35 %weight

Solvent naphtha, light aromatic 64742-95-6 5 - 10 %weight

Benzene, 1,2,4-trimethyl- 95-63-6 1 - 5 %weight

Xylene 1330-20-7 0.1 - 0.5 %weight

Techron Concentrate PLUS

Distillates, hydrotreated light 64742-47-8 < 55 %weight

Stoddard solvent 8052-41-3 < 35 %weight

Solvent naphtha, light aromatic 64742-95-6 3 - 7 %weight

Benzene, 1,2,4-trimethyl- 95-63-6 1 - 5 %weight

Xylene 1330-20-7 0.1 - 0.5 %weight

Here's Red Line's

30 - 50% PolyEther Amine

1-10% Isooctanol - TLV- None established CAS # 104-76-7

5-20% Aliphatic Naphtha - TWA - 100 ppm - CAS # 64742-88-7

Thanks for posting those. They all have broad spreads on the quantity of PEA. Going by PEA alone, the Regane is an excellent choice. If you want something that is also a top-end lube, th SI-1 is a good choice. I'm not as familiar with the Amsoil and don't know how to evaluate the new Techron.

While my car does seem to run better with Regane in the tank, I can't say that I like the fact that it contains a large percentage of kerosene.

My WM has the Gumeout Regane bottle to treat up to 21 gallons. They also have a larger bottle of Gumeout system cleaner that treats up to 35 gallon, but, the name Regane in missing. Is this the same stuff?

This was mentioned here:

"Gumout Large Vehicle Fuel System Cleaner in the gold bottle is also PEA based. It contains the same percentage of PEA as does Regane but in a different carrier. It's 20 oz size makes for a better value if you can find it. Be sure it says "fuel system cleaner" and not "fuel injector cleaner". The bottles look nearly identical but the fuel injector cleaner contains no PEA."

I'd like to know what the carrier is in the LVFSC, but I can't find any links to MSDS's on Gumout's website.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Found an MSDS.

http://www.pzlqs.com/techdata/msds/Display_MSDS.asp?ID=206068

"petroleum distillates" doesn't really mean anything to me

Though, kerosene has a really low octane rating, so how much worse could this really be?

The link is to the new Regane Complete dated 8/29/2008, no more PEA listed. Seems to be very expensive kerosene now....

Kerosine 8008-20-6 60.00 - 70.00 %
Distillates (petroleum),
hydrotreated heavy paraffinic
64742-54-7 30.00 - 40.00 %

Drew

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
This was mentioned here:

"Gumout Large Vehicle Fuel System Cleaner in the gold bottle is also PEA based. It contains the same percentage of PEA as does Regane but in a different carrier. It's 20 oz size makes for a better value if you can find it. Be sure it says "fuel system cleaner" and not "fuel injector cleaner". The bottles look nearly identical but the fuel injector cleaner contains no PEA."

I'd like to know what the carrier is in the LVFSC, but I can't find any links to MSDS's on Gumout's website.

Acording to the newest 8/29 MSDS, the formula is identical to the "Complete" cleaner as posted above, no PEA's.

http://www.pzlqs.com/techdata/msds/Display_MSDS.asp?ID=206068

Drew

Last edited:
Bummer. I have used Regane in the past with EXCELLENT results. I didn't expect anything, but both cars had improved acceleration and mileage.

I guess I will have to go with Chevron Techron, Redline, etc.

But I am still a bit confused. Some has stated that the PEA is hidden in vague labeling. Is there any truth to this?

Originally Posted By: Loogie
Bummer. I have used Regane in the past with EXCELLENT results. I didn't expect anything, but both cars had improved acceleration and mileage.

I guess I will have to go with Chevron Techron, Redline, etc.

But I am still a bit confused. Some has stated that the PEA is hidden in vague labeling. Is there any truth to this?

I was wondering the same thing as I have been an avid user of the Regane product now for awhile. I will be sorely dissapointed if the PEA is gone or severely reduced. I was buying it at Walmart for a buck off per bottle when you buy a 5 quart jug of YB, so it came in at under 4 bucks per bottle.

If this is the case, it'll be time to stock up on the Red Line product, but I'll reserve judgment until I see more information here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back