Brutally cold, a little preventative maintenance…

Pictures/brands?

I rarely see any of the -35's in the stores I go. Not sure if I ever saw -40
Thanks for the reminder. I’ll be picking some up today. When in Canada, it’s Canadian Tire.

6484B8DC-11A9-489F-A907-9D26A4D33760.jpg

It’s -22 F this morning and as usual I plug in the block heater for the one vehicle that isn’t in the heated garage. It also happens to have a new Walmart Ever Start battery. Piece of cake. Also, I inflated all four tires on my 3/4 ton Suburban to 50 psi so it wouldn't set off the air pressure warning light.
No 10 ply E rated tires that go to 80 psi?

That's -49F. I want some of that for the really cold days just because. Now need to find something like that locally.

I use the -20F year round. I'd use that to top off during the winter.
I'm sure inland a bit they will have something for colder than -20F. Next time you go, to where its colder, buy 6 and keep them in your basement. Or have some gasline antifreeze on hand and dump a bottle in your -20F stuff in the car if you are worried about a cold day.
Or find some other bulk methanol locally.

Half a cup to a cup (4 to 8 ounces) of Heet yellow bottle and a drop of Dawn dishwashing soap into the windshield washer tank,

Lowers the freeze point, and can thaw a tank if necessary…

i was purchasing some washer fluid, and a little old lady told me she never buys walmart brand cause one cold winter it broke her washer reservoir. I was sorry to hear that, and asked her by any chance did she remember the label stated summer washer fluid or down to 0F?

She said washer fluid is washer fluid and stormed off with a rain x orange fluid with a freeze protection of 0F. I guess the walmart brand -20F or -25F was just not going to cut it.

Several truckers have told me this. The wind will remove the last of your heat from the engine and engine bay faster. My barely awake brain kinda relates this to the radiator grille blockers the truckers use to limit heat loss. Have used this advice a few times when a garage was not possible. Alway started. Three years ago I visited my sister when I had the F-150 it was about -25°. I parked right up against her unheated garage, blocking the wind. It started.
Wind driven frozen precip can also block up your radiator and make for a bad day, or an inconvenienced one, at least.

Back