Redline or Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't red-line a group 5 basestock,amsoil a group 4 and mobil 1 who knows now with their constant changing of their formulations(cheaper). I will never say mobil 1 isn't good oil however I like to cheer for the underdog.
I am sure someone will correct my post if I am mistaken.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Oils that I would feel good about running in it are:
M1 0w30, 5w30, 5w30 HM, 10w30 HM
RL 0w30, 5w30, 5w20
AMSOil 0w30 Signature Series
GC 0w30
PP or PU 5w30
But really, any name brand 5w30 that is at least semi-synthetic will be OK.

RL 5w30 is essentially a 40wt. Not to be picky, just saying...

Originally Posted By: mrcoolguy
Drag races. I also read that Redline doesnt burn oil as much as M1. Is this true? and is it related to shearing
hmm. If your serious about being good at it then why not just use an oil designed for racing these few times you actually do it? Or perhaps find a dedicated car to racing? I only say this because you're always goo.g to have.to compromise.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
No offense, but any oil should handle 400hp. Yes some race teams use Mobil 1, but many others also use Redline and Amsoil. Use whatever makes you feel good. All three are capable oils. I like Redline and have used it in several high hp LS2 motors and countless other platforms. I'm a polyol ester and big dose of ZDDP fan. And with Redline and Amsoil I feel much better about my money going to small boutique oil companies who aren't about mass production.

What teams that run in F1, LeMans, Daytona and NASCAR use those two brands? Just curious.

And if any oil will handle 400HP, I invite you to go buy something with an S62 in it and run Supertec 5w20 in it and tell me how long the rod bearings last.

I say this because the SRT vehicles spec 0w40, Ford's BOSS 302 spec's 5w50 and most Porsche and Mercedes engines also spec 0w40 or something similar. So if "any oil" will handle 400HP (and many of these vehicles make around 400HP, some a lot more of course) then why don't the manufacturers spec dino 5w20 for them?

Your assertation is rather vague, which is the only reason I am taking issue with it. Oil temperature plays a HUGE role here, and the type of driving/racing that is taking place directly affects that.

Ford appears to agree with me, as the Mustang GT spec's 5w20, whilst the BOSS 302, with almost the same engine in it spec's 5w50 due to the intended use of the car. So it appears Ford does not agree with your premise that "any oil" will be good for 400HP, nor does Porsche or Mercedes or any of the euro manufacturers really.

I recommended M1 0w40 because of its use in a vast number of real world, high performance applications, and most of those applications carry a warranty on them. No manufacturer likes warranty claims, so we can be assured that the lubricant is tested EXTENSIVELY in those applications in order to get approval for them.

Quite frankly, I imagine the factory spec'd oil for the car: 5w30, is more than adequate for the intended use depicted by the OP. A_Harman's experience appears to jive with this. But he didn't sound comfortable with the idea of continuing to use that lubricant so I suggested something that is a little bit heavier and due to its reputation and list of certifications, should make him feel confident in using it in his car.

Drag races. I also read that Redline doesnt burn oil as much as M1. Is this true? and is it related to shearing

If you're drag racing, then definitely don't switch to 40-weight. The engine is not making power long enough to heat the oil to operating temperature.

My experience with Redline so far is significantly lower oil consumption than M1, but I didn't have any problem with the consumption rate of M1 in the first place. Redline 5w30 will be more shear-resistant than M1, but the difference would be slight.

Good point, I was thinking he was auto-crossing it given the level of concern expressed.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
. Use whatever makes you feel good. All three are capable oils. I like Redline and have used it in several high hp LS2 motors and countless other platforms. I'm a polyol ester and big dose of ZDDP fan. And with Redline and Amsoil I feel much better about my money going to small boutique oil companies who aren't about mass production.

Too late to edit my other post, so I just want to add this:

Your choice of lubricant and your logic used to arrive there sounds perfectly reasonable. So I hope you can at least tip your hat back in this direction in acknowledging that even though my logic may differ from your own, that both are reasonable suggestions.

Originally Posted By: NYSteve
Oils that I would feel good about running in it are:
M1 0w30, 5w30, 5w30 HM, 10w30 HM
RL 0w30, 5w30, 5w20
AMSOil 0w30 Signature Series
GC 0w30
PP or PU 5w30
But really, any name brand 5w30 that is at least semi-synthetic will be OK.

Right, and I wouldn't include the ultra low VI RL 5W-20 in that list either.

No. Even at 50F ambient temperatures a 5w30 is much thicker than it needs to be to protect your engine in the few seconds that it takes to build oil pressure. The only advantage of a 10w30 is if you go with a conventional oil, it would be less prone to viscosity loss due to shearing of Viscosity Index Improvers. 10w30's generally have less VII's than 5w30's.

Last edited:
the owner of 3r automotive uses redline in his souped up 2010 camero this car loves it great mileage the very best protection,more hp...3r makes all of k-pax volvo's and according to them nothing else stands up to red line either on the scca circuit and in their personal cars and trucks..don't bother with mobil 1,penn,and all the other run of the mill oil..motul is also superb!! us the best you get what you pay for..can't beat ester oils and a great oil for extended oil changes....amzoil is even far better then mobil 1 etc.go with red line,motul 300v series....mrcoolguy,red line says you can leave their oils in for 1 year or 12000 miles....its a mostly ester oil and keeps your engine clean..ester oils cling to metal..to me its a no brianer..this is what i have learned and experienced..

Last edited:

How much 'hot-lapping' during those track days?? (Just so you know, most people on here refer to open tracking/road racing as "track days", NOT drag strip; rental days/test and tunes, time tials/brackets/heads up/etc.)

Red Line has one of the lower NOACK volitility numbers (depending on which weights) out there if that is what you are meaning by "burn oil as much".
But if you have ANY valve seal/seat, or piston ring pack problems, basically NO oil is going to help you in this regard, especially at WOT, foot flat on the floor even during shifts, 1/4 mile runs.

BTW, either straight M1 0W-40, or a mix of that and the M1 0W-30 (50/50, or 70/30) would probably stand up just as well for your uses as Red Line, and cost less $$$ if you can get it on sale somewhere.
These two M1 oils above are generally considered to be a higher grade than the 'regular' M1 stuff, and maybe even over their own high mileage oils. (They are NOT that much "less" of an oil than Red Line, and may even have some of the same POE/group 5 base stocks which RL uses, albeit probably not in as high a concentration.)
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: NYSteve

...and M1 0W-40 is the same exact HTHSV with a higher VI, so it would be more than OK for drag racing use, especially in LA LA land.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Or perhaps find a dedicated car to racing? I only say this because you're always goo.g to have.to compromise.

Although I agree with you on this (I eventually want to get a dedicated CMC-2, or AIX road race car), it is not always practical, or even possible for a lot of people due to a plethora of reasons.

Besides, for drag racing at least, it IS possible for him to have a perfectly street legal (yes,even in Cali), street useable, 4th gen LS1 f body running mid 11 second @ ~116 mph 1/4 miles (and STILL get almost 30 mpg on the highway!).
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
the owner of 3r automotive uses redline in his souped up 2010 camero this car loves it great mileage the very best protection,more hp...3r makes all of k-pax volvo's and according to them nothing else stands up to red line either on the scca circuit and in their personal cars and trucks..don't bother with mobil 1,penn,and all the other run of the mill oil..motul is also superb!! us the best you get what you pay for..can't beat ester oils and a great oil for extended oil changes....amzoil is even far better then mobil 1 etc.go with red line,motul 300v series....mrcoolguy,red line says you can leave their oils in for 1 year or 12000 miles....its a mostly ester oil and keeps your engine clean..ester oils cling to metal..to me its a no brianer..this is what i have learned and experienced..

Have you run Redline 12000 miles? Most of the UOA's I've seen of it on here do not support the premise that it can be used for extended drains.

I think I might stay with M1 but switch to 0W40 because I can get 5 quarts with a M1 oil filter for 35 bucks at AutoZone. If Amsoil or Redline were cheaper I would probably go with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back