Recommendations for car project

Recently I purchased a 82 jeep CJ for a very good price. After the sale, while I was loading it on the trailer, I was given a Chevy 305 motor and trans for free(owner wanted it out of the garage).

I know that some years of this engine suffered soft camshaft lobes, and it's not as good as the 350 if you're chasing power. Also, I have no idea about the condition of this engine yet, looks to be in good shape, but haven't checked it out that closely yet.

I'm looking for a winter project to put this engine in. I'm not looking for performance, or any kind of high end build, just a fun winter project. I'd prefer it be put in a vehicle that originally had this engine as a stock option so I don't have to mess with engine mounts/bellhousing adapter plates...., But I still might put it in something it wasn't originally designed for if it feels right.

I have a few models in mind for the donor vehicle, but wanted to throw it out here to get some fresh ideas for this upcoming build

I wouldn't bother with the effort of sticking a 305 in it. Soft cam = who cares. A cam and lifter set for a small block Chevy is cheap. The stock cam sucks anyways. If you were handed a 700R4, just sell the lousy 305 and that stupid transmission for scrap.
I wouldn't go through all that work sticking a 305 in it for it to take 12 seconds to go 0-60.

I sort of agree - the 305 was by far the worst chevy small block. The heads were awful. It made no power and burned a lot of gas doing it.

scrap metal or put it in a rat rod.

Or use all the external parts for a SBC350 shortblock that you can buy for like $100 these days.

People used to only H/C/I a 305 because they couldn't afford a 350. That's not an issue in 2023.

My YJ needs an engine. If I had a good 305 on my garage floor, it would be going in it.
I came close to putting the original 318 out of my dads Barracuda in it, but that swap is a ton more challenging than the 305/350 swaps, which can be darn near bolt in with aftermarket parts.

Run what you got!

Wow, I really appreciate all the responses!

I have no intention of putting it in the Jeep, it's in too nice of shape, just going to do a restoration on that one.

Like I said earlier, I know the 305 isn't a powerhouse, I'm not trying to chase horsepower with this build. Just a fun, relatively simple winter build. A rat rod was on my shortlist of ideas for this.

Some of the comments on here have me rethinking this idea of mine though. If the engine and trans are that big of a failure, maybe I should just scrap em

The thing is, if you find a chassis without engine/ trans, it was decided by someone else that among their multiple vehicles that now-empty chassis was the worst for whatever reason (rust) and therefore a good motor donor.

And now you have a powertrain that was the worst part of this guy's build so he's discarding it.

I'd part out the accessories and scrap the motor, or tear it down and sell bits of it on ebay.

Not sure it is worth putting money into. Not without something to drop it into, and even then, just not a great motor. Only of going for the cheapest mill possible.

Sometimes just because it is free does not mean you should take it (or do something with it).

I would sell it and buy something for the jeep.

If you insist on a project find an old V6 G Body and stick the 305 in it then flip it...

Get a 350 crank, and turn the 305 into a mild 334-cid mill.
Find a 1970’s h-body - Monza, Starfire, Skyhawk, Sunbird.
Build a fun, quick, 1980’s style hot rod!
Maybe I’m showing my age here…

Oh, I know they are hard to find not completely rusted out!
But there are still some out there…any 1970’s 2-door sedan for a project will be hard to find - Nova, Malibu, Monza…
I’ve just always thought the Monza et al were neat little cars.

Back