Ratchet strap storage

Posting in the tool section as I consider a ratchet strap a tool and a pretty useful one at that. I keep multiple ratchet/cam buckle straps in my truck of various lengths and work load limit ratings(Im a stickler for using the strap with the proper WLL for the task at hand). Most if not all manufacturers say to keep them out of direct sunlight when not in use so as to bot degrade the material. I know a strap is a consumable item and eventually will need to be thrown from wear and tear, but my question is, will storing them in a duffle bag under the backseat out of sunlight be adequate? Interior still gets pretty hot and I wasnt sure if just the heat itself will lead to strap degradation. Id rather be safe than having a load get loose due to a weak strap. How do yall store yall straps when not in use? I see 18 wheelers every day with winch straps just rolled up on the side of the trailer always exposed to the sun, so I may be overthinking this.

at work they are just stored under or behind the seat in whatever kind of bag there happens to be laying around..they seem to hold up just fine, like you say, sooner or later they get pitched do to wear.

Be a better life than most straps get. Most of them just ride around wherever in the truck bed getting wet and sun, or thrown in the corner of the garage.

I bought a couple inexpensive tool bags from HF. Roll mine up and throw them in the bag.

I have a penske car hauler and the built-in tire straps are pretty gnarly but still hold. I still use supplemental straps in the front and rear of the vehicle.

Recently I took off a 500 gallon water tank off my utility trailer that was strapped down with 2 large ratchet straps. I have no idea how old the ratchet straps were, but they were many years exposed to Texas sun heat. They still seemed serviceable but looked like hell. They were tossed and bought new ones.

I think your plan of keeping them inside a vehicle will be just fine and will last for decades. I have a few milk crates that I keep them in.

I was mostly concerned with the heat that builds up in the cab affecting the straps, but in a bag under the seat it should be a non issue. I know theyre well protected from the UV rays.

I store mine in an old 1 gallon ice cream container with the lid. My buckets stack easily in my work bench and ride nicely in my truck when needed. I use a strap winder to roll them up and put them away.

Amazon winder

Just my $0.02

Temperature could degrade the thin polymer strands, but not the same as UV. So it’s better but how much better? I’m not sure anyone could really know/say that unfortunately.

It does get hot in the cabin but it’s not permanent either.

The degradation of your interior vehicle upholstery will tell you how quickly the interior heat is going to affect straps stored in your vehicle. My guess is the straps will outlast the life of 2-3 vehicles if kept out of the sun in he interior of your vehicle. Sun and grit caught between the fibers of the webbing are the real enemies over time.

Back