"Square One" Towing Questions w/my Ranger

Fear not, I've begun doing my homework.
I may be towing a 600 pound lawn tractor with my 2005 Ranger (4.0l, 4.10 gears).
It's a 2017 John Deere X570. I mentioned the tractor here and everyone is very positive over it.
The load is well within the wee trucks capacities.

If I can get the tractors front end in far enough, I'll skip the trailer and just secure it with ratchet straps.
If I need to rent a trailer, the bumper mount ball is rated enough for the trailer + tractor. Yay!
That might be preferable as it would leave the pick-ups payload free for the huge leaf catcher.

Q1: Do small, low trailers need lights?
I'm pretty sure my Ranger didn't come with trailer wiring. Procuring a trailer lighting controller is no big deal.
Q2: Is there a known good controller? 'Good' means quality + price = GOOD DEAL!
Q3: I've read towers press the "OD OFF" switch on these Rangers. I'm guessing the low weight involved wouldn't require this.

As always, this chores legs are less than perfect. The tractor is 250 miles away; requiring a empty NJ to VA run.
The loads destination is 500 miles from VA.
Then, the trailer goes 250 miles back to NJ.

Thanks for any info / insights.

I'd be surprised if there's not 4-wire provisions back there already?

Yes, you need lights. I'm not aware of a "light controller," only TBC's

If you must install a plug, I like the 7-ways with a 4-way on the side. Then you're ready for either setup with any trailer. You can easily run a blue wire later and install a TBC under the dash with the 7-way.

OTOH, if you must install the 7-way down low, maybe forego it. They just get mangled. I prefer to put them in next to the license plate. OEMs finally figured this out with vehicles like the GMT900 and our '12 Ram 1500, but prior to much of that they were mounted to the hitch which doesn't afford the protection you'd think it would.

My local U-Haul franchise installed trailer wiring for me a number of years ago when I wanted to rent a trailer from them. It wasn't too expensive IIRC.

There are plug and play adapters for the lights. If your truck has the factory tow package, there will be an extra plug under the bed in the back center to plug the trailer light adapter into. The factory package also brings the brake wire into the cab so you can go to 7 pin easily.

If your truck does not have the tow package you'd use a different adapter that plugs into the tail lights on each side. This only provides a 4 wire plug for trailers without brakes.

I may be towing a 600 pound lawn tractor with my 2005 Ranger (4.0l, 4.10 gears).

That's nothing. Towed 4,000 pounds with my 2.5l '96. You'll be fine.

Ford Ranger towing CTS.JPG

mine doesn't have the railer package but there was a 4 pin on the backside of the number step. Go crawling around before you buy one, and if you do have to buy one get a no splice one.

At least a few years ago the factory accessory hitch was still available and it's a nicer hitch than most.

Well, YAHOO on several counts.
....just returned from U-Haul, Saddle Brook, NJ
1) I have the 4 wire connector right where D60 said. Hey, Ford removed the glove box light from the FX4 Off-Road models so I wasn't confident Ford would've included trailer lamp wiring.

2) U-Haul has a "5 x 9" trailer which is perfect for the application.
It weighs 1,240 pounds empty and comes in a dashing brushed aluminum color.

3) This leaves the pick-ups bed open for the monstrously big leaf catcher.

4) I have a 2" ball.

5) Hmmm, will my E-Z Pass work automatically or will I need to go through "vehicles with trailers" lanes.
Do they still have "vehicles with trailers" lanes?

Back