Quaker State Q vs Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MrMeeks
After watching the phony M1 las vegas taxi test on youtube,I think I will stop using EM products.

I'm a Mobil fan, and I admit, a fan. I don't think it's "better" than everything else out there. For me, it's cheaper and more available than any other synthetic.

I'm a fan, but I think the taxi test was garbage. It doesn't sway me either way, though. It is what it is, which, by my estimation, is a piece of irrelevance.

The only way a piece of marketing is going to sway me is if it's very factual and it demonstrates a real advantage, or if it's so slimy and false I wouldn't trust the product. The taxi test belongs in neither category.

It's hokey enough that it should only attract the least informed consumers, but it's not hokey enough that it should turn anyone away. It simply wasn't comparing apples to apples, and we should all know that without being told.

Yeah,

we cant beat up on EM because of some not so perfect marketing attempts.

Look at Castrol. Their marketing is on the verge of being annoying, but their products are still solid.

dito Amsoil. Slightly shady marketing, amazing products.

Purchase two vehicles just alike. Use M1 in one engine and QS in the other. Drive each vehicle in a like manner. After 200K, tear down both engines and compare them to each other. Only then will you have a reasonable answer.

Originally Posted By: Garak
It's hokey enough that it should only attract the least informed consumers, but it's not hokey enough that it should turn anyone away. It simply wasn't comparing apples to apples, and we should all know that without being told.

I can see you ready for the start of the season.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: PW01
That response told you more than you think. Try each oil, as oils perform differently in different engines, and let a UOA tell you which one works best in YOUR engine.

+1. We each have our preferences, but they may not be the same as your engine's preference.

-Spyder

Sounds like a plan.... for someone that does not have a life or loves watching paint dry.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Purchase two vehicles just alike. Use M1 in one engine and QS in the other. Drive each vehicle in a like manner. After 200K, tear down both engines and compare them to each other. Only then will you have a reasonable answer.

After watching the phony M1 las vegas taxi test on youtube,I think I will stop using EM products.

I'm sure you will be missed.
43.gif

Last edited:

I'm sure you will be missed.
43.gif

48.gif

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Sounds like a plan.... for someone that does not have a life or loves watching paint dry.
49.gif

I like that! That's funny. As a clown you made me laugh.
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: Steve S
You are fooling yourself thinking there is a benefit running syn oil at your oil change intervals.

There is always a benefit to running syn,,better hot weather and
cold winter performance/protection from a syn,no matter how long his OCI is..

Potential benefits from using syn. Whether or not its worthwhile depends on how many of these potential benefits apply, how much the cost difference is, and whether or not its worth paying.

For me its worthwhile in the winter at the price I paid for it. I'm still on the fence about summer use. I may stick with it year round, or I may alternate. Fortunately I don't have to decide that one today :)

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Pesca
I can see you ready for the start of the season.
crackmeup2.gif

Hokey, not hockey. I'm ready, are the Canadiens?
24.gif

Anyways, lots of oil marketing is tripe. The overall grand point of the taxi test was that Mobil 1 works better in extended drains than does conventional. What a shocking revelation.

I drive an 07 Camry Hybrid, and I've used both QSUD 5W-20 synthetic and Mobil 1 0W-20 Synthetic. I currently have QSUD in, but I had M1 just before. They both feel and sound the same. However, there was a 1/4 quart burn off with the Mobil 1 oil. Currently, I'm at 2k with the QSUD oil, and there has not been any oil loss.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeansain
Most people here seem to suggest that there are not too big differences between Q and M1 synthetic oils, that it's just a question of personal preference.
What do you guys think about the following test?
Amsoil Motor Oils Comparison

That is very out of date as those would have been SL oils I believe at that time(2003). Although looking at the numbers and figuring in price if that test was true today I would buy the Valvoline SynPower for the low wear in the 4 ball test, high TBN, HTHS, and NOACK volatility.

Originally Posted By: FMC
What was wrong with the Taxi Test of M1 ?

It only compared against conventional, not other synthetics that it is in competition with.

Originally Posted By: Torrid
Originally Posted By: FMC
What was wrong with the Taxi Test of M1 ?

It only compared against conventional, not other synthetics that it is in competition with.

There intention was to do just that. The add shows the differance when going 15K with an OC between M1 EP and a mineral oil. Outside BITOG many people abuse their OCIs with dino. For those, the taxi test points out they have a better choice for longer OCIs than dino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back