Can't find M1 10-30

I have been looking at WalMart for "regular" M1 10-30 oil for months now and can't find it. They have the "high mileage", "extended performance" and maybe some other types of Mobil 1. But can't find the regular old bare bones stuff that I've been using since the 80's. No problem getting the M1 5-30 and some other weights.

What gives? Is anybody else having trouble finding this stuff? I ended up buying a jug of Quaker State full synthetic 10-30 which I'm sure is also great stuff but I'm stuck in my ways and good old M1's been working for me, no motor wear problems, for 4 decades now.

Nibbana

Not necessarily. 10w30 is used in powerstroke and cummons engines. My brother uses quite a lot of 10w30; in a Saab 9-7 and a 09’ Sunirban with 5.3 LS
there you go. what was obsolete in gasoline engines is now standard fare in modern diesels.. :) Of course in this case the man wants Mobil 1 as nothing else will do the job so I don't know what he is going to do. LOL.

Just get the high mileage ...... it's probably better anyway
Who wants better? We want the same. What's so hard about that to understand? M1 should quit trying to improve stuff all of the time. You just lost a long time customer, buddy. Now my money's going to Quaker State. I hope you're happy now!

Who wants better? We want the same. What's so hard about that to understand? M1 should quit trying to improve stuff all of the time. You just lost a long time customer, buddy. Now my money's going to Quaker State. I hope you're happy now!
actually, if you go QS Pennzoil route, your money is going to Royal Dutch Shell instead of XOM... which neither of which are going to notice. but realistically, your obsolete oil choice is becoming limited, not because anything is wrong with the oil but because the market for it declined..

40 years ago, few cars were driven over 100,000 miles as the engines were pretty worn out. Today 200,000 and 300,000 miles are common, thanks in part to modern oil formulations. By your theory, you want to use an SD grade oil or whatever was the current standard back then?

I suggest you use 5w30 as the older 10w30 is just about as obsolete as monograde oils and rotary telephones....
Thanks. Other companies still make it though. So maybe obsolete maybe not.

I don't know if Ford changed their specs but my 1993 Windsor V8 has a sticker right on the side of the motor that says "use 10w-30 oil".

don't know if Ford changed their specs but my 1993 Windsor V8 has a sticker right on the side of the motor that says "use 10w-30 oil".
The sticker doesn't say which brand to use, just the viscosity. :cool:

There are plenty offerings of 10W-30 meeting the current API SP rating out there.

As mentioned above, I'd try Napa for M1 or maybe BJs. Or better yet, M1 10w30 HM from Walmart.

Last edited:
Thanks. Other companies still make it though. So maybe obsolete maybe not.

I don't know if Ford changed their specs but my 1993 Windsor V8 has a sticker right on the side of the motor that says "use 10w-30 oil".
OK... I thought you wanted M1... but it's obvious you found an alternative, so all is good.

Back