Pure One PL14459 Cut Open (Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PL14459 run ~5850 miles on an 01 Civic closing on 215k original miles. It was run from July through a few days ago. Very pleased with the results as the pics confirm. Also wanted to get an accurate measure of media area so I cut the media from the endcap potting which also revealed an additional finding pictured later.

For media area the width, inner endcap potting to inner endcap potting, measured 1&15/16". The measured length of the media was 52" not including the seam/crimp pleat. So ~101 sq.in. media.

Bottom line with a rating of 99.9%@20um and based on this result I'd have no problem using another PL14459. It was replaced with an equivalent 'oversize' Napa Gold 1334 from my stash. Even though this was the first year for the Civic to spec the 14610/7317, dealer used this size for the first few oil/filter changes.

Enjoy.

As shown seam pleat not metal crimped however there is a additional finding on the seam shown later. As shown this application uses the coil spring type bypass.

View from base end with adbv.

View opposite seam pleat. Doesn't get much more straight, tight, or uniform pleating than this.

Silicone adbv still very pliable, like new. And adbv doing it's job holding oil with base end down until drained by opening some inlet holes before cutting.

As mentioned I wanted to get an accurate media area measurement so I decided to cut the media from the endcaps, and in the process found this. As shown the media is metal crimped at the inner side of the seam pleat. Nice touch imo.

And last (for now) and least the production date code. November 2013.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Thanks! Is the 14459 the "alternate" size for Hondas?

Yes, it is the most used application for pre 2001-02 Hondas. Afaik it fits up to 2007 Accords.

In the 2008 Accord the filter surrounding area changed, so the wider diameter of the 14459 won't fit. Think that happened starting in 06 for the Civic. It will fit all 7th gen Civics.

That one is a bit different construction than the one I posted. The one I posted has the seam on the outside.

Good pictures, though. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
I wonder how many of these photos showing no tears or damage whatsoever will convince the Purohaters.
Don't know, what did it take to rehabilitate the OCOD?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Any photos of the Civic ?

Here's a pic of the front from the radiator replacement I did last Feb. Documented in the link. Pic at end after headlights refinished likely the best. It's an EX AT coupe.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3282876/1

As for seam pleat crimp, it would appear based on the production dates of the other recent PL14459 the metal crimp may have been moved the outside. Either way, both anecdotes worked nicely.

Six bucks or less on Amazon, delivered free if you have Prime. Keep up that boycott! Nice filter for that price. Have the Puro production date codes been published on here?

Last edited:
^^^^

Good point. I don't ever remember seeing a rear crimp like that. Probably not coincidentally it appears to eliminate the "V" pleat spacing that was leading to tears at the seam. Like most filters there is still wider pleat spacing at the seam BUT the pleats are still neatly folded with the rear crimp.

Maybe Puro has made an adjustment!

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Six bucks or less on Amazon, delivered free if you have Prime. Keep up that boycott! Nice filter for that price. Have the Puro production date codes been published on here?

Depending on which of the readily available 30-40% off AAP online codes used, these run $4-5 with in store pick up.

As for production date code, dates are decoded in this thread.

Good looking filter.

Nice review, especially the cut-away showing the media/crimp detail.

Purolator sure knows how to make a filter for a Honda.

This is nice to see .... great looking filter.

Thanks for your effort in cutting the filter open and posting the pics for us to see.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
^^^^

Good point. I don't ever remember seeing a rear crimp like that. Probably not coincidentally it appears to eliminate the "V" pleat spacing that was leading to tears at the seam. Like most filters there is still wider pleat spacing at the seam BUT the pleats are still neatly folded with the rear crimp.

Maybe Puro has made an adjustment!

Thing is, the filter was made 11/6/2013, which was way before all this tearing media reporting started rolling in.

sayjac
- good report, and I find it strange that the metal crimp is on the inside of the media assembly. That obviously means the seam had to be crimped before assembly of the center tube and end caps.

I have used and cut open two 14459s ... one a Classic (L14459) and one a PureOne (PL14459). Here is a summary of my measurements on those two. One thing that stands out is the media area on yours is much more (101 sq-in) than what I've found on the two shown below. What were the number of pleats in your example? So maybe Purolator has changed he design of the 14459s.

L14459
Made on 8-26-2009
Cut Open on 5-13-2011
Mileage = 5,074
Number of pleats = 58 (not counting seam)
Metal crimp on outside of seam
Media area = 89.1 sq-in

PL14459
Made on 2-13-2010
Cut Open on 9-3-2012
Mileage = 5,002
Number of pleats = 60 (not counting seam)
Metal crimp on outside of seam
Media area = 92.2 sq-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back