Fleetguard LF16011 - Cut open - New

This is a direct cross-reference to the Donaldson P551132 and indirect cross to the PH3614 which is spec'd for the Cummins B3.3 engine. One of the Fleetguard LF16011 arrived damaged so I decide to cut her open. Counted 53+1 pleats which includes the metal seam, probably the most packed synthetic media bought so far for such a small sized filter which I believe its their smallest Stratapore filter you can get that fits a 3/4-16 UNF thread. Endcap to endcap length is about 2.25" inches long, the whole outside filter canister measured 3.5 inches long. Unfortunately theres no micron rating other than a opaque efficiency rating of 100% at their website.

A Silicone ADBV is a nice addition compared to the Donaldson which has a black nitrile ADBV.

The bypass setting is a bit misleading on Fleetguard's website which says 28.6 PSI , the spring pressure feels slightly lighter than the Donaldson and Toyota, although those bypass face diameter is larger whereas the Fleetguard is smaller and similar to the STP XL one. The STP S3600XL has the most stiff spring pressure out of the rest. Kinda makes me say you can probably use it on a Toyota too, kinda odd its not listed as a compatible filter.

These aren't exactly cheap, probably the most expensive filter bought so far, they go about 20 dollars a piece, plus or minus a few dollars depending who you get it from. I'd probably go with the Donaldson since you get 2 for the price of 1 unless you need the silicone ADBV on the Fleetguard.

The only disappointing complaint I have about this filter is the center tube louvers are poorly formed on both samples purchased compared to the Donaldson. I expected better for a filter at this price range and big name in the trucking industry. Anyways Enjoy the pics.

The bypass setting is a bit misleading on Fleetguard's website which says 28.6 PSI , the spring pressure feels slightly lighter than the Donaldson and Toyota, although those bypass face diameter is larger whereas the Fleetguard is smaller and similar to the STP XL one.
The spring force has to match the diameter of the bypass valve in order for it to open as some target PSI. For a constant bypass valve setting, the larger the diameter of the bypass valve, the stiffer the spring needs to be to satisfy the equation P = F/A (P in PSI = bypass pressure, F in lbs = spring force and A in in^2 = bypass valve area). For P to remain constant, the F spring force has to increase as the valve A increases.

The spring force has to match the diameter of the bypass valve in order for it to open as some target PSI. For a constant bypass valve setting, the larger the diameter of the bypass valve, the stiffer the spring needs to be to satisfy the equation P = F/A (P in PSI = bypass pressure, F in lbs = spring force and A in in^2 = bypass valve area). For P to remain constant, the F spring force has to increase as the valve A increases.
will post opening diameter measurements later as im outside the garage. The STP XL bypass opening is smaller and has the most stiff spring presssure felt from my finger press and i believe PG rates it 14 psi and up.

Probably doesnt matter much im gonna run it on my Yaris someday haha.

will post opening diameter measurements later as im outside the garage. The STP XL bypass opening is smaller and has the most stiff spring presssure felt from my finger press and i believe PG rates it 14 psi and up.

Probably doesnt matter much im gonna run it on my Yaris someday haha.
But are all the filters set to the same bypass opening pressure? Probably not, and that will skew the comparison to each other.

But are all the filters set to the same bypass opening pressure? Probably not, and that will skew the comparison to each other.

Alright just got back home after a long drive, here is what I measured on the bypass opening face.

Fleetguard LF16011 - 7/16" diameter - spring felt the lightest out of the bunch.
Donaldson P551132 - 9/16" diameter - spring felt more stiffer than the Fleetguard.
STP S3600XL - 3/8" diameter - has the most stiff spring pressure out of the bunch.
Toyota YZZN1 - 1/2" diameter - spring feels the same as the Donaldson.

Also, the specs page at the Fleetguard website on the LF16011 might just be a max range, some manufactures post a min-max like Donaldson and Fram with their 11 lower and 17 higher PSID range.

Last edited:
^^^ It also depends on the actual target PSI setting for each bypass valve.

Here's an example of how the PSI setting would relate to the size of the bypass valve and the required spring force. In the example, the bypass PSI setting target is 15 PSI. As the size of the bypass valve diameter increases, so does the spring force to maintain the 15 PSI target.

1709778950321.jpg

This is a direct cross-reference to the Donaldson P551132 and indirect cross to the PH3614 which is spec'd for the Cummins B3.3 engine. One of the Fleetguard LF16011 arrived damaged so I decide to cut her open. Counted 53+1 pleats which includes the metal seam, probably the most packed synthetic media bought so far for such a small sized filter which I believe its their smallest Stratapore filter you can get that fits a 3/4-16 UNF thread. Endcap to endcap length is about 2.25" inches long, the whole outside filter canister measured 3.5 inches long. Unfortunately theres no micron rating other than a opaque efficiency rating of 100% at their website.

A Silicone ADBV is a nice addition compared to the Donaldson which has a black nitrile ADBV.

The bypass setting is a bit misleading on Fleetguard's website which says 28.6 PSI , the spring pressure feels slightly lighter than the Donaldson and Toyota, although those bypass face diameter is larger whereas the Fleetguard is smaller and similar to the STP XL one. The STP S3600XL has the most stiff spring pressure out of the rest. Kinda makes me say you can probably use it on a Toyota too, kinda odd its not listed as a compatible filter.

These aren't exactly cheap, probably the most expensive filter bought so far, they go about 20 dollars a piece, plus or minus a few dollars depending who you get it from. I'd probably go with the Donaldson since you get 2 for the price of 1 unless you need the silicone ADBV on the Fleetguard.

The only disappointing complaint I have about this filter is the center tube louvers are poorly formed on both samples purchased compared to the Donaldson. I expected better for a filter at this price range and big name in the trucking industry. Anyways Enjoy the pics.

Great work sir. Nice photos and detailed write up.

Thank You

Can you post more pictures from different angles? I can't quite see everything clearly! :ROFLMAO:

;)Thank you for posting. A job well done. (y)
What would you like to see? There is no upload limits to album galleries so i can add as much more than 10 photos per post.

Anyways I wonder @NashNative can share some micron rating on this filter?

^^^ It also depends on the actual target PSI setting for each bypass valve.

Here's an example of how the PSI setting would relate to the size of the bypass valve and the required spring force. In the example, the bypass PSI setting target is 15 PSI. As the size of the bypass valve diameter increases, so does the spring force to maintain the 15 PSI target.

View attachment 207021

Going to bring closure to this. This instrument read some interesting values.
20240426_213134.jpg

Back