Pure One PL14459 Cut Open (Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As noted I choose to do a media tear off to get a more accurate than estimate using pleat depth and pleat count. Did it both ways but the media length measurement yielded to total media area as quoted. Media ends only held by close pins put and length found minus seam pleat yielded total found. This one had 61 pleats not including seam.

As for sleuthing regarding dates etc it seems to change depending on thread with Puro date posted. Other thread said production was 12-13 where the tears were most noted. As said though with production date pic, least important to me of the pictures posted.

My desire is keep the thread on a positive tone with no agenda and not get into any off topic negative banter. This is very positive anecdote as the majority have acknowledged to this point. The facts are as posted and pictured. A solid PL14459.

Thanks to all for the positive comments, makes cutting and posting worthwhile.

Will be interesting to see of all 14459s (and maybe other filter models) from Nov 2013 and newer will also have the inside out metal seam crimp.

Here's a couple pics showing how the measure of media length was done/determined. As for inner metal crimp perhaps they are going to that on at least some applications. The newer 14476 posted still shows the outer crimp. Guess time will tell, but it worked well in this application anecdote.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
As noted I choose to do a media tear off to get a more accurate than estimate using pleat depth and pleat count. Did it both ways but the media length measurement yielded to total media area as quoted.

I usually just do the number of pleats, pleat depth and width measurements with a thin metal scale without cutting the media out and do the calculation since it's faster and much less messy.
grin.gif

Did you happen to compare the two methods of media area measurement to see how close they compare? That would be interesting to see.

Yes much less messy, less time, less dangerous (box cutter) and as a review of my prior dissections reveal how I usually do it. But based on the last time I dissected an L14459 several years back and did it both ways, I seemed to remember in this application the estimation method significantly under estimated the area. And actually one of the reasons I bought the PL14459 as I wanted to check again....for science.

Was going to cut it open unused, but I don't like making regular practice of wasting money and usable filters so on it went. Now very glad I put it to use for obvious reasons.

I did it both ways because I wanted to see if I remembered correctly and I did. Using the width as 1&15/16" the pleat depth best observation came to 11/32" using my metal Starrett rule shown this thread, other side has 32nds. I usually measure at/next to the seam pleat as it's easiest get the depth measure. That yielded ~81 sq. in. So then added another 32nd depth even though I didn't see it, still only ~89 sq. in. In this case, actual measure works best.

sayjac - thanks for the added info. The last PL14459 I cut open (which had date code of 2-13-2010) had pleats that measured out to be 13/32" deep and 1-7/8" wide with 60 pleats (w/o seam). That was with using a small thin metal scale, so I could really get it all the way deep down to the bottom of the pleats. Came out to be 91 sq-in which was real close to your 89 sq-in using this method.

Looks about like a ~10% difference using one method over the other. Good to know.
thumbsup2.gif

Very nice. Thanks for the post sayjac.
thumbsup2.gif

Looks like Purolator has their stuff together.

ADDED: Thanks for the bonus info on measurements. Real thorough post!

Last edited:
^^^^Thanks. As for having their stuff together, certainly there's no disputing the positive result of the PL14459 here. Construction is solid, and I'm confident I could have run it twice as long with a similar results. And from the inner metal crimp development, perhaps some thought has gone into modification and another reason I'm glad I cut the media off. The pleating speaks for itself.

Repetition but I've never had an issue with the PL14160 application in my Hondas applications and I've used/posted many since joining the site. So personally I've never gotten overwrought by the negative anecdotes. Because I've gotten some good deals on Napa Golds recently, spin on and cartridge, I've been using them. Good to get this result though for future consideration.

As for media area measure of the PL/L14459, the most common quote I've seen posted is 83-84.4 sq in., the latter I also estimated (60 pleats) in 2011. This one adds an updated data point.

Looks good
thas same oil filter for a 02 Honda Accord

V6

and AAP has the new Castrol CAS MAGNETIC Oil or whatever

I might give that a try.

Thanks for posting. I may end up using this size on my girlfriend's '01 Civic since I already have a bunch that I've hoarded for my Integra. With only 66k on our Civic, I'm hoping we can get at least 215k out of it, except with less problems than it took getting the Integra to that mileage.
laugh.gif

Couple more pics of the bypass closed and open. Thought I might be able to force the centertube off the endcap potting, no way, it was firmly attached at both ends. Had to break out the hacksaw.

I appreciate the positive replies and keeping it on topic, including from some I recognize as less than enamored with Puro. Classy. And for the one dedicated puroh8er pontification, hopefully the compulsion is satiated.

All in all, this 11/2013 edition PL14459 is solid.

looking good, when i open a couple of larger filters and see no tears or wavvvy media that would make me happy. There is a chance that purolator is improving but like i said its still to early to be certain.
Thanks to all the good people that exposed all the torn media and wavy pleats lately i think they were probably forced to improve because if they don't their sales will continue to fall.
I think the filter cutters to an oil filter company is like a can of raid to bugs.
Keep up the good work and keep cutting.

^^^^^Yep, that's a nice oil filter media cutter for sure. But at $37 it's a tad more than 3 times what I paid in 2009-10 for my HF exhaust cutter pictured below that I used to cut this one, and many many others open.

As an aside, looks HF may have discontinued/closed out said exhaust cutter recently, been some anecdotes the newer made in China cutter not as durable and the made in Taiwan cutter pictured below that came with it's own case as shown. The one I have is solid and shows no signs of wear. Like it better than the Summit cutter that was given to me as a gift prior to the HF cutter purchase.

And seeing as I don't plan to cut the media off often rather than estimate the area, it's not cost effective. Unless I could get Tempest to give me one free for promotional demonstration purposes on bitog, it's not in the cards.
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back