Another Purolator tear PL14459

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading about all of the Purolator tear threads I decided to cut open one that has sat about a year on the shelf. 99 Honda Odyssey, Valvoline SynPower 5w-30.It has 4727 miles and was used 6 months. This is what I found.

I think F10C07D2? Also the spot on the left is from a hard drive magnet.

Yep, another one bites the dust. How does this make you feel? I would hate to know dirty oil was flowing around my engine for who knows how long. Not a good feeling.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, Just some thoughts...Has anyone contacted Purolater? Would they care? Kira

Some people have but I plan to also.

That would have been caught before it got to be a real problem. More likely, whatever machine makes the crimp also creates the wide pleat spacing and the paper isn't given an opportunity to relax before it's glued down.

filter media fills up, pressure builds as flow is restricted where the glue and media are attached, expanding and contracting from heating and cooling cycles along with pressure form the weak link. the media and glue expand and contract differently that is why most tears occur where media meets the glue.

Hello, Just some thoughts...Has anyone contacted Purolater? Would they care? Kira

Where have you been for the last 3 months?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I think they're getting torn at the factory when they go to crimp that metal pleat.

I don't think so, because there has never been a new filter cut open with tears in the media.

Has anyone put together a list of model numbers affected ?

I recall seeing 14459 before, but wonder if it is specific to only a couple of designs that end up with marginal pleat spacing.

Booo purolator!! I have 6 classics that I refuse to use because of this fiasco and WM won't take them back, even for store credit. Used to love my puro classics...
frown.gif

It's going to take a long time for them to regain my trust. Like I've said before there are too many other good filters out there making it very easy to stop using Purolator filters. We should continue to check and post about them and with any kind of luck they'll wake up, and if they don't it's no big deal dumping them.

... Yes, I got into a back-and-forth via emails with a Purolator quality engineer that a couple of others contacted as well. See Email Discussion, At Least Part of It http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3368586/2/A_few_Purolators_cut-open_(War

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back