PP oci question (low miles but long interval)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 02 Lexus IS300 Auto, i changed my oil with PP early January this year, it has been 9 months already and i have only acuumulated 5000 miles so far. The question is should i change it right now or i can still wait for a little bit?

I usually drive a 6 miles trip forth and back (12 -13 in total per day) and unfortunately it's 80% local, but not much stuck in traffic though.

The manual said for severe service i need to change the oil 5000 miles or 6 months. Oh and it's a 5.7 quart sump, but i always put in 6 quarts. It burns about 1/2 to 3/4 quart of oil per 5000 miles. 100K on the odometer.

To be honest i'm not babying the car anymore, it's just a car for transportation, but i don't want to neglect maintenance. Whatever need to be done, i will do.

Any comments or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance~

Since you are not seeing any severe temps and not really "babying" it any more you can prob do 5000 miles or 9 months with any API am oil or 1 year with PP and be fine.

Personally I'd do 5000 mils with a oil like Pennzoil yellow bottle and call it a day.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: lemonade
I have a 02 Lexus IS300 Auto, i changed my oil with PP early January this year, it has been 9 months already and i have only acuumulated 5000 miles so far. The question is should i change it right now or i can still wait for a little bit?

I usually drive a 6 miles trip forth and back (12 -13 in total per day) and unfortunately it's 80% local, but not much stuck in traffic though.

The manual said for severe service i need to change the oil 5000 miles or 6 months. Oh and it's a 5.7 quart sump, but i always put in 6 quarts. It burns about 1/2 to 3/4 quart of oil per 5000 miles. 100K on the odometer.

To be honest i'm not babying the car anymore, it's just a car for transportation, but i don't want to neglect maintenance. Whatever need to be done, i will do.

Any comments or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance~

What type of oil is recommended ? Dino or Synthetic ?

If the recommend oil is dino, then you can safely extend the OCI to 7-8k miles or 1 year whichever is first.

7.5k miles or 1 year, whichever comes first since you are using a full synthetic even if there is more than 80% city

To HTSS: The manual recommend dino.

Great, seems like i will change the oil at the end of the year around Christmas time.
Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted By: y2k345
It works out for me to change my PP oil every two years about 4500KMs in a 5.7Liter gas 4x4 1995 Chevy truck.

2 years!? Did you do an UOA to confirm the oil is in good shape after 2 years?

Originally Posted By: y2k345
It works out for me to change my PP oil every two years about 4500KMs in a 5.7Liter gas 4x4 1995 Chevy truck.

2 years!? Did you do an UOA to confirm the oil is in good shape after 2 years?

there was a UOA on here a while ago where the guy changed it with castrol gtx and then it sat in a garage for 17 years. the UOA actually showed that just sitting in the sump isnt hard on oil at all, in fact it was still good.

I'm shocked someone hasn't recommended doing MORE changes in this person's case. I'd go to PYB and change every 6 months or less. Too much short tripping and long intervals isn't helping anything.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I'm shocked someone hasn't recommended doing MORE changes in this person's case. I'd go to PYB and change every 6 months or less. Too much short tripping and long intervals isn't helping anything.

I went close to that. But he has said;

so to be honest if he changes it with any oil (PYB will be certainly an excellent choice) every 5,000 miles it will be fine for his use.

I agree with you though, if he wanted to make sure that all is perfect and keep the car going for a long time, 6mo OCI no matter the miles would be a safe smart bet!

Bill

Or you can suck out 3 OZ of fluid through the dipstick and have it analyzed to see if you're ok.
Collecting an oil sample for analysis
2010_Terrain_1600_blackstone_sampledraw-thumb-717x477.jpg

2010_Terrain_1600_blackstone_sampledraw_uncap-thumb-717x477.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back