Powertrain Warranty Question

Looks to me like it's covered. If turbo replacement is in the picture, it clearly states it in the post the critic provided. The cooling system itself may not be covered, so I can see them charging you for a pipe and a couple of gaskets, but since they are replacing the turbo, regardless of the reason, then it should be on them. I would get advice from another dealer. If they say the same, either take it to court, fix it yourself, or get rid of it.

Rather than brand bash and tell someone on a car repair forum to trade their car in for a minor coolant leak, I'll try to help. If the turbo needs to be replaced, it is clearly listed as a powertrain component. I'd talk to corporate or another dealer.

Screenshot 2024-05-03 182750.jpg

I noticed the dealer noted on the receipt “Coolant leaking from turbo cooling lines. Customer declined repairs. Customer will attempt repairs by himself. We are accepting no liability of any repairs made by anybody other than ourselves.”

What does this even mean? If I have another shop do the repairs are they going to deny any warranty if the turbo eventually fails? This seems like a trap for me going elsewhere.

I noticed the dealer noted on the receipt “Coolant leaking from turbo cooling lines. Customer declined repairs. Customer will attempt repairs by himself. We are accepting no liability of any repairs made by anybody other than ourselves.”

What does this even mean? If I have another shop do the repairs are they going to deny any warranty if the turbo eventually fails? This seems like a trap for me going elsewhere.
I'd definitely go to another dealer if you've got one near you

Find out who owns the offending dealer and make sure you get out of their network.

Others have covered, succinctly, the quandary that if a turbo can only be replaced as an assembly, then its subassemblies require complete replacement if failing, and said assembly specifically called out as being in warranty.

This original service writer sounds like a mega-douche.

The turbo definitely does not need replaced, just the coolant line. And no, that would sadly only be covered under the 3/36 bumper to bumper. Make sure you do feed and return line. The turbo/manifold will need to be removed and reinstalled for this repair.

Thanks for the great replies everyone!

PWMDMD I think said it best explaining why it’s bad form to not cover it when the official manufacturer recommendation is to replace the turbo. But then The Critic I think explained a logical reason why - because these things are hot garbage that will fail and they don’t want more irate customers.

Think I would be taking this upstairs to zone manager or above at GM-that's some next level bull shiitake right there.

because these things are hot garbage that will fail and they don’t want more irate customers.
Well then they should get out of the business of selling new Buicks if they don't want to do warranty work. If they "want" to change whole turbos instead of lines then they need to work out with GM how they're going to do that for their customers. If they can't change a hose without breaking something else they need to pay more for better mechanics. Regardless, this is their problem, not yours... see about making sure they understand this.

Thanks for the great replies everyone!

PWMDMD I think said it best explaining why it’s bad form to not cover it when the official manufacturer recommendation is to replace the turbo. But then The Critic I think explained a logical reason why - because these things are hot garbage that will fail and they don’t want more irate customers.
Except...they are likely to make at least some irate customers simply by charging them $1,900 for a problem that should just be the cost of a hose. The difference is if they charged for just the hose it would actually build a lot of goodwill, something GM could use these days. If the turbo goes then the turbo goes and that's a separate issue. It just seems wrong that a simple problem like a hose leaking can be turned into a $1,900 bill out of an "abundance of caution" that the turbo might go in the future. It seems penny-wise, pound-foolish, and somewhat combative towards customers. We're only discussing this because you clearly feel like you're getting screwed and I don't blame you.

Last edited:
My wife’s 2018 Buick with the 1.4L turbo has the dreaded coolant leak at 48,000 miles. The car is under factory power train warranty. Took it to a local dealer. Dealer said the coolant inlet pipe on the turbo is leaking. Provided as estimate of $1,900 to R&R the turbo, gaskets, etc. The dealer said the part that needs to be replaced is part of the “turbo kit” so the entire turbo requires replacement.

The dealer said it’s not covered under the power train warranty. I tried to argue with them saying if it’s part of the turbo assembly which makes the car move how is it not power train? They said sorry can’t help.

Is this typically not a power train covered item? Also seems ridiculous that the entire turbo needs to be replaced for a leaking $4 hose.

Car also has 125k mile extended warranty from another dealer screwing up an oil change…I’m sick of dealerships lately.
Everyone has a right to buy their favorite car, what fits in your garage, or what you can afford. I usually don't get involved in offering advice as no matter what you say if it was intended to help, people will take exception. But, I'll stretch my rule by saying, stay away from turbo vehicles. Look at consumers & Powers, and what vehicles/manufacturers are paying out the nose for warranty repairs. Between Hyundai, Ford, and GM they've dumped nearly $10B in the past few years. And most have been associated with turbo engines. There are a few manufacturers that have delivered a reliable turbos
but not generally in the popular price range with the exception of Subaru. And even they have had issues.

I would NEVER have accepted that repair invoice unless the advisor removed all language following the words "declined repairs." That other language is a shyster tactic. And don't tell me the dealer is protecting its own interests. This type of experience may keep me from considering a turbocharged 2024 GMC Acadia.

Last edited:
Seems like everything is a grand or two minimum for a dealer repair these days.

I've heard people claim GM dealers quoted them close to 2 grand to change the thermostat on their GM LFY 3.6L . It's buried in the valley of this V6 and the plastic upper intake has to come off. Looking at some youtube videos on it, it's probably a 30min job for a tech who's done one a few times.

It seems like the worst part of these little GM turbo 4s is the cooling system plastic parts. The turbos themselves tend to be OK if you change oil maybe twice as often as GM recommends.

How can it not be covered. It's a factory engine part that isn't considered a consumable. (Like a gasket would be)

Their verbiage even states it is covered, AFAIK.

GM doesn't deserve anyone's money if they pull crap like this.

Back