POLL!!! Quaker State VS Valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bob15
Lexus, no I'm serious. I will never use Quaker Sludge in any engine I own.

I have seen too many engines over the years that have been sludged up from using there product. Things like push rods that have the oil hole plugged, return gallery holes plugged, valve covers with more than a 1/4" of sludge on them with many engines less than 100K on them.

bob

Really.... I love these internet wives tales....
33.gif

Well I guess all of those good uoa's must be lying.

Autobahn,

How is it a wives tail? Sorry I didn't have a digital camera in 1996 when I bought my uncle's truck (1982 GMC w/305), of which only ran Quaker Sludge. If I could have afforded a digital camera back then, I would have taken pics for you. Of course I didn't have any internet in 1996. Remember, Al gore had just invented it.......

The 1982 GMC had leaky valve covers, OK, just replace the gaskets, 10 minute job. Pull cover one nothing but sludge, pull cover 2 off, same thing. Even side bank head had the 2 oil return passages plugged. Put rocker clips on the rocker arms and started the engine, 12 pushrods were plugged, no oil coming out them. I wound up spending an hour just getting the rods holes open and the return holes in the head open, and another 30 minutes cleaning valve covers. Should I continue on with the bottom pan?

Or would you like to hear about my father's '76 pickup with the 250 straight 6 that was nothing but sludge in it when the bottom pan was pulled after the engine was yanked out for a 350. My neighbor's '68 Chevy with the 283 and 3 on the tree. He only ran Quaker Sludge because he grew up in Wilkes Barre and thought it was a greatest oil. It's sad when there is a 1/2 inch of oil sludge on the inside of the bottom pan.......

Should I continue on with your so-called "internet wives tails"?

I don't re-call a uoa for sludge, but they (Quaker Sludge) would have a great number.....

bob

The vehicles are that old, it doesn't mean the issues are that old. If you notice, I said that the 82 GMC was being worked on in '96.

FYI the '76 Chevy truck was pulled apart in 1991 or 1992, sorry I cannot remember the exact year. My old neighbor's chevy was worked on in 1990.

Sorry, oil might have changed since the 70', 80's,and 90's, but I don't trust products that have failed in the past.

No different than going to a restaurant, first time the food is lousy, I will try it one more time. After the second time of [censored] foot, I will not be going back. Same thing with oil, tools, work boots, or anything; more than 2 failure or poor performances, I stop buying it or eating it or using it, period.

bob

The vehicles are that old, it doesn't mean the issues are that old. If you notice, I said that the 82 GMC was being worked on in '96.

FYI the '76 Chevy truck was pulled apart in 1991 or 1992, sorry I cannot remember the exact year. My old neighbor's chevy was worked on in 1990.

Sorry, oil might have changed since the 70', 80's,and 90's, but I don't trust products that have failed in the past.

No different than going to a restaurant, first time the food is lousy, I will try it one more time. After the second time of [censored] foot, I will not be going back. Same thing with oil, tools, work boots, or anything; more than 2 failure or poor performances, I stop buying it or eating it or using it, period.

bob

Sorry but you are wrong. I know quite a few people who use nothing but QS and never had a sludge issue so yes, it is a wives tale
18.gif

Even with all the default votes Quaker State is getting from the Pennzoil crowd, Valvoline is still getting tons of votes here. That's pretty impressive.

(BTW - Quaker Sludge? Give me a break. Decades have passed since then. That's like comparing the new Hyundai Genesis to the 1987 Hyundai Excel hatchback. People, for the most part, get over old issues that have long since been overcome)

I haven't bought Valvoline in years, it has a premium price for a conventional oil.

I'll stick with Quaker State, or even better Mobil Super.

I just picked up a jug of Mobil Super 5000 for $11.50, Quakerstate was $13, and Valvoline was even more...

Castrol has an inflated price as well for a regular conventional oil.

autobahn,

whatever........

Well, I can't speak for autobahn. However, my fleet use for millions of miles in the 1980s and 1990s using solely Quaker State conventional 10w-30 for 6,000 mile OCIs with no sludge or wear issues must have been a major fluke.

I use the bulk conoco phillips we get at a good price and all the engines we rebuild are very happy i use conoco in my own cars and trucks also since the price of oil went up..

Valvoline was used exclusively by 'most' GM dealers at one time.
I've not had a GM car now for many years so I'm not sure what they use now.
Wal-Mart uses Quaker State in their oil-change dept.

Presumably, both come from Pennsylvania Grade crude, a paraffin based crude, which is very low in sulfur as opposed to Texas Grade crude, which is creosote based oil and very high in sulfur.

Speaking strictly of dino oil now, not Synthetic.

After my first oil change at my Suzuki dealership, (an ex Dodge dealership) I noticed a little Quaker State sticker under my hood. I have no problem with Quaker State, but for this climate and the Severe Usage that I put my car through, I prefer Castrol CTX.

But if this were a true poll, I'd have to pick #3..I don't care! Sorry guys!

Cheers!
The Shadow
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Mark72
Valvoline smells better than all the others

Mark, i thought we agreed mobil conventional smells best!?
anyways between the two mentioned id pick valvoline, i think valvoline pours the best

Valvoline Synpower
I tried Quaker State Ultimate Durability because of a rebate and found increased lifter noise from startup thru operating temperature. Changed back to Synpower. This is on a high mileage engine - 97 Saturn SC1 with 215K.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I haven't bought Valvoline in years, it has a premium price for a conventional oil.
I just picked up a jug of Mobil Super 5000 for $11.50, Quakerstate was $13, and Valvoline was even more...

i dont know what states have a farm store called orcshelin farm and home, but its popular in parts of indiana and every 3 months or so they have VWB all weights on sale for $2.09 a quart, ive yet to find it cheaper elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back