Pennzoil Platinum European Formula 5W30 mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about Auto RX but the problem is my car strongly requires synthetic oil with 502.00 oil standart approval. Auto Rx is best working with dyno oils and if have to use synthetic they recommend just Group III synth. oils to avoid competing chemistry. So can somebody recommend me group III synthetic oil with 502.00 specification which I can use for both phases?
I have learned about oils a lot since I bought this car but I am not so sophisticated as many of you guys in this forum and even I am able to find oils with VW 502.00 standart approval I just can not figure out to which groups those oil belongs to.... I called Valvoline customer service to tell me which of 502.00 approved oil belongs to group III but was told that all the oils they make are blens of different groups... So I am REALLY looking for good advice...Thanx
PS: Sorry for gramattical mistakes in all my posts ...I am not from United States..I just live here temporarily....
PS2: for all of the above mentioned reasons I wanted to use Pennzoli Platinum European formula 5W30 which is 502.00 approved and (according to Pennzoil) does the cleaning job....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jozef
So can somebody recommend me group III synthetic oil with 502.00 specification which I can use for both phases?

You're no longer under the manufacturer warranty, so you shouldn't be that concerned about sticking to 502.00 spec. If you're so concerned about sludge, then running a non-502.00 oil for a few thousand miles is not going to cause you problems.

I was in a similar situation with my 530i. I ran PP 10w-30 with ARX, even though that PP does not carry the BMW LL-01 spec.

Where are you from, Jozef?

Thanx for your advice...
I did not want to take a potentional risk and run my Passat with no approved oil without any significant problems with the car, but according the circumstances it's looks like I don't have any other options so (for the piece of mind) I am going to do it....
PS: I am from Slovakia (Small country in the central Europe - just 5 million people lives there....)

Last edited:
How about using Rotella 5w-40 syn? That will contain more detergents and zddp than PP not to mention the better base stock.

Before you jump on ARX, is it possible for you to maybe take off the valve cover or drop the oil pan to visually inspect if you really have sludge? Maybe you have nothing to worry about. How many miles on the engine? Are you experiencing any issues? How often are you planning to change the oil?

I am not experiencing any issues... The car has just 58000 miles on the odometer.... but since I don't know oil changes history and needed to replace oil cooler already (There was a leaking and in this car if it leaks between the oil and the coolant, you get oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil...)So I just want to do anything to prevent any possible damage...
I was thinking about taking off the Valve cover but it's not always guaranteed that you can see it there (even there is sludge building up in the engine) and dropping of the oil pan can be expensive... but probably will do it anyway .... and will see... and decide after.... It's certainly best think I can do...

How often are you planning to change the oil? Every 3000 miles...

Last edited:
Auto-RX or a high mileage oils would be enough to clean that. Pennzoil Platinum euro than you are after is a Group 3 oil in anycase. Try something in the Motul or quartz range. And why not just use the 5w40 version ? http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140002098029_1CE4.pdf

That would be their mainstream target oil. I have seem 5w30 version here in Australia http://www.pennzoil.com.au/products/2008/petrol/pz_products_saps_5W30.asp but its a low saps version.

Also, have you asked the local dealer about it ?

Last edited:
Forget all this hype. Go and buy some Mobil 1 0W-40, currently called European Formula in the U.S. This will do anything and all and plus any benefits of any PP formula. Price is competitive and it also cleans very well.

Last edited:
And why not just use the 5w40 version ?

Because according this pennzoil technical data sheet http://www.pennzoil.com/documents/Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil.pdf 5W30:
- Features Superior Active Cleansing Agents *
- Cleans up to 46% of existing sludge **
- Continues to clean existing sludge in the second oil change
(**Based on a severe sludge clean-up test using SAE 5W-30)
5W40 doesn't contains this agents Its just Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 5W-30 and 0W-30..

Also, have you asked the local dealer about it ?
Yes I did (Ocean State Oils) They weren't able to tell me where can I buy it so told me to wait and they would give me a call ...And I never get that call...

And why not just use the 5w40 version ?
I just realized maybe I misunderstood you...You mean to use it with with Auto Rx or generally?

One more question
Does somebody know what oils they provide in Mercedes dealership? I was thinking maybe they got what I am looking for ....
At VW dealership (in Beverly, Ma) they use Castrol Synthec 10W30 which isn't even on their North america available 502.00 approved list... http://www.fruitlands.net/tdi/vw_oil_dec_2007.pdf

It says:
For the dealers’ convenience, there is a document attached to this circular that contains
abbreviated lists of oils that currently meet the current VW oil quality standards and are readily
available in the North American Market.

hmmm readily available....

Last edited:
Forget all this hype. Go and buy some Mobil 1 0W-40, currently called European Formula in the U.S. This will do anything and all and plus any benefits of any PP formula. Price is competitive and it also cleans very well.

Without any questions it's one of the best oil in the world (at least I think so) but does it really cleans such well?
Did somebody try it for this purpose?

Last edited:

Without any questions it's one of the best oil in the world (at least I think so) but does it really cleans such well?

According to the manufacturer, M1 0w-40 "cleans deposits, sludge and varnish often formed in high temperature operating conditions". And it features "active cleaning agents" that "prevent deposits and sludge build-up to enable long and clean engine life."

Same thing goes from M1 ESP 5w-30, which is sold at many MB dealerships and at PepBoys.

I have used M1 0W-40 for several years (Volvo 740 Turbo, 940 Turbo, two Saab 9-3 Turbos, and VW 2.0) and my experience is that it does excellent cleaning. My suspicion is this is due to esters contained in the oil that most of the other M1 forumations do hot have or have to a lesser degree.

5W40 Euro version that is new is the SM version. It is Audi approved and has
the new cleaning agents. I have used it with great success

Thanx for responses.... I flushed the coolant (because of the oil cooler issue) and I am going to use M1 0W40 (Had big dillema between M1 0W40 and 5W40 Euro but after more research I think M1 is a better solution)

Get some Pennzoil Platinum Euro Formula5W40 for RX use. If it isn't rebadged Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 (and I'd need convincing) then it has no ester or PAO and is an ideal choice for RX use. I have it in my BMW right now with two full bottles of RX for a 6,200 mile (10,000 kms) clean.

They said yes but were not able to tell me where exactly I can buy it.

I just don't understand this. Don't they want to sell oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back