Pennzoil Platinum Euro L vs QuakerState Euro?

PP EL is 5w30 BMW LL04. QS is 5w40 BMW LL01.

On the QS website they don't show the 5w40 as having BMW LL01 but on the spec sheet from their site and on the back of the bottles from Wal-Mart they show LL01.

I was being told the weights on the bottle don't really matter but the HTHS does. How do the HTHS and other specs of these line up? After my 1200 mile break-in on the B58 I did the QS this past fill thinking it was the same spec as the PP EL but just with w40 vs w30. Don't know why I missed the spec difference. Also why would it have the spec on the spec sheet but not the website? Did something change?

Think that is the same oil as SHU 5w-40. That oil carrying LL01. Also have a HTHS 3.88 and a low NOACK of 5.6. Sometimes website aren't updated, and can lag behind. Sometimes they are just a mess.

There's very little difference between LL01 and LL04 when it comes to lubrication and engine protection. LL01 is full SAPS while LL04 is mid-SAPS.

At one time quaker state has the most insane levels of detergent in their euro oils, there was one I saw test over 4,000ppm of Ca. Don't know if they still make it like that.

I know what HTHS is but what if SP? LSPI?
SP is an approval that indicates certain wear and LSPI mitigation metrics have been successfully met. Low Speed Premature Ignition is LSPI...seems to be a problem especially in some smaller, turbocharged engines. Think of LSPI as a REALLY BIG KNOCK that can knock a hole in a piston.

I know what HTHS is but what if SP? LSPI?

LSPI: Low Speed Pre-ignition
API SP: latest API cert which adds a chainwear test for turbo gas DI engines to the LSPI test under API SN+

The big difference detergent wise is that these oils contain a balance of Mg and Ca whereas under SN it was almost exclusively high amounts of Ca.

Oil blenders tweaking their formula over the past year or two to meet performance claims under SP. Old stock on a shelf could be SN ver.

BMW recommends a low saps in 20 grade or lower (0w12) for Bx engines A heavier version would have LL04 approval and can only.be 30 or 40 grades because higher HTHS.

Examples

Shell Euro L 5w30
Mobil 1 ESP 5w30.

Think that is the same oil as SHU 5w-40. That oil carrying LL01. Also have a HTHS 3.88 and a low NOACK of 5.6. Sometimes website aren't updated, and can lag behind. Sometimes they are just a mess.

This is also my understanding. In Canada, PP Euro 5w40 also has LL01 but is still API SN. Interestingly, the QS Euro LX 0w30 bottle says made in USA while the PP 0w30 bottle is made in Germany. PP 0w30 has seemingly disappeared from Pennzoil's website too, and many TDS links are dead. Hard to keep up with all of the changes.

This is also my understanding. In Canada, PP Euro 5w40 also has LL01 but is still API SN. Interestingly, the QS Euro LX 0w30 bottle says made in USA while the PP 0w30 bottle is made in Germany. PP 0w30 has seemingly disappeared from Pennzoil's website too, and many TDS links are dead. Hard to keep up with all of the changes.
That's true. Shell helix ultra 5w-40 is made in Germany what we buy here, also it's the api sn+ version we have, or it's only old Label. Meanwhile Shu 0w-40 is hard to find in any store, including shu 5-30 ECT

Good video. You can also tell by the SDS that the full syn QS is Grp III unlike Platinum. The QS Ultimate that Walmart carries for a bit more than the QS full syn is GTL and money well spent IMO as the price difference is slim. However the PDS from Shell is quite different from Platinum so I don't think those are the same either.

Good video. You can also tell by the SDS that the full syn QS is Grp III unlike Platinum. The QS Ultimate that Walmart carries for a bit more than the QS full syn is GTL and money well spent IMO as the price difference is slim. However the PDS from Shell is quite different from Platinum so I don't think those are the same either.
Both are majority Group-III base stock.

I don't think so, I can't find an SDS on Ultimate, but the MRV is half of what the full syn is on the PDS. Did you see an SDS or something enlightening on Ultimate?

Regarding Lake Speeds video, I think there are other oils that have to be identical to the "premium" brand (won't know for sure without an analysis), because it would be cost prohibitive to produce a lesser product.

Such an example is Canadian Tire's MotoMaster OEPLUS European Premium 0W30 Synthetic. It is made by Shell in Germany and has identical specs to Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W30 Synthetic, which is also made in Germany. It doesn't make sense to me that these would be different formulations.

Motomaster 0W30_1273.jpg

Motomaster 0W-30_1276.jpg

PP0W-30.jpg

I don't think so, I can't find an SDS on Ultimate, but the MRV is half of what the full syn is on the PDS. Did you see an SDS or something enlightening on Ultimate?
Just from discussions on here like the one below that references the Q&A. No one has ever indicated that it contains any Group IV or V.

SP is an approval that indicates certain wear and LSPI mitigation metrics have been successfully met. Low Speed Premature Ignition is LSPI...seems to be a problem especially in some smaller, turbocharged engines. Think of LSPI as a REALLY BIG KNOCK that can knock a hole in a piston.
LSPI is a boogeyman. There’s plenty of scare talk, but it’s just like the “20 grade is going to kill our engines” fanaticism. It “may” happen in like one in a million or even fewer engines.

Use good gas (whatever octane your engine calls for), pick an oil with a low Noack that meets your engine’s recommendations, and don’t even worry about it. In the real world, unless you have a manual transmission and don’t know how to drive, it’s nearly impossible to duplicate the conditions to create LSPI. Especially since it’s been a scare tactic for several years now, manufacturers can electronically limit boost; they can command downshifts, they can limit timing. It’s a nothing burger.

Picked up 2 jugs of Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 (LL-04) this morning for the oil change on my 535d this weekend. Interesting note, the Euro L oil does not have "Platinum" in the name.

Back