Has anyone noticed that lighter weight oils are taking 5w40 and 0w40 shelf space?

Lately even at parts stores I'm finding it tougher to find 5w40 0r 0w40 by any brand. Looks like I'll have to get the auto parts store to get me those viscosity from a local warehouse. My last oil change I used 5w30 synthetic Castrol GTX.

Last edited:
Walmart always has it. FCP Euro always has it a few days away shipping.

I'ts because we are being behaviorally 'nudged' into vehicles that don't need oil. After euro oil, next will be the 91 octane gas pumps needed for those euro cars.

Feeling that nudge yet?

1704727369768.png

InterAmerican Development Bank

Last edited:
Walmart always has it. FCP Euro always has it a few days away shipping.
Not at my Walmart last time I was there in the fall. I can order it but haven't yet. I have a single 5 qt jug of 0w40 Castrol Edge left at home but my reserves are 2 of 5w30 Castrol GTX syn and one 5w20 syn. Need to change my Audi soon and guess I'll start the search for any 40 weights around. Just so guys know I ran 5w40 Edge in wife Ford Edge 3.5 for two years with no issues and better mileage.

I'll need to look at mine.
Nearby HD has Shell Rotella 5W-40 and Castrol Edge 5W-40 on the shelf but only (2) bottles of each. They have (13) choices in 5W-30, (10) for 5W-20, (10) 10W-30, and everything else is lower stock levels. As others have said, big stores like these no longer stock everything for someone's convenience. If it doesn't sell "x" units per "y" time period, that shelf space will go to something that does sell.

Back