Camaro 2018 2 ss 5w30 esp European formula vs 0w40

Hello, long time reader but decided to post for a final advise, I have a Camaro 2018 2ss with 80k miles changed oil at 4-5k intervals always used Mobil 1 European 5w30 oil till last time in march and switched to Mobil 1 esp 0w40 European formula now I’m due to change again my oil, and was wondering if the 0w40 European formula is really better then the 5w30 since it’s more higher in price the 0w40?is it really worth at cold start like stated from GM?I live in Italy..
The car is occasionally at woot but not much…and my temp oil when cruising it’s around 160-165 fahrenheit..I do have a catch catch can long tube kooks headers and a rotofab cold air intake filter as mods..
Thanks in advance

I have the same LT1 engine as yours in my Corvette and I would never run the European Formula 0w40 in it simply due to the high sulfated ash content of that oil. That can be a bad thing for the direct injection. I'm running Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 in mine, it's got a very low sulfated ash content and it's priced way less than the Supercar 0w40 (formerly named ESP Formula 0w40) that GM recommends for the LT1.

I have the same LT1 engine as yours in my Corvette and I would never run the European Formula 0w40 in it simply due to the high sulfated ash content of that oil. That can be a bad thing for the direct injection. I'm running Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 in mine, it's got a very low sulfated ash content and it's priced way less than the Supercar 0w40 (formerly named ESP Formula 0w40) that GM recommends for the LT1.
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I can only find the European formula where I live and I already must search in Germany, it’s too costly between import taxes and shipping to import the regular Mobil 1 😞

The primary risk with higher SA is LSPI with low displacement forced induction engines (TGDI). Since this is a big N/A V8, that's not a problem.
There have been some studies that focused on IVD's, but that's very application dependant and if the platform is prone to them, it's going to get them regardless.

The only other risk is for GPF's, is GM using those yet? And that would of course require the engine to be using oil for that to be a potential issue.

The primary risk with higher SA is LSPI with low displacement forced induction engines (TGDI). Since this is a big N/A V8, that's not a problem.
There have been some studies that focused on IVD's, but that's very application dependant and if the platform is prone to them, it's going to get them regardless.

The only other risk is for GPF's, is GM using those yet? And that would of course require the engine to be using oil for that to be a potential issue.
Higher SAPS reduces LSPI risk I am pretty sure. ZDDP quenches LSPI in an exponential fashion; it was just the calcium levels in the old formula that was the concern. The only potential issue is increased intake valve deposits as you mentioned. I think this is a non-issue or blown out of proportion. BMW (NA M cars) and GM (C8 Z06) themselves are filling DI engines with full SAPS oils still.

Full SAPS is completely fine for direct injection. Porsche only moved to mid-SAPS because of the particulate filters. The new Z06 uses very high SAPS oil. I just saw a teardown of a blown BMW S55 engine on YouTube (overrev) and the valves were super clean and it's a DI engine filled with FS oil in this market.

Higher SAPS reduces LSPI risk I am pretty sure. ZDDP quenches LSPI in an exponential fashion. The only potential issue is increased intake valve deposits as you mentioned. I think this is a non-issue or blown out of proportion. BMW (NA M cars) and GM (C8 Z06) themselves are filling DI engines with full SAPS oils still.
I was talking in terms of the older full-SAPS formulas that had high calcium (non-SP) but you are right, the current version of M1 FS 0W-40, assuming that's available in Germany now, removes that risk from the equation.

I was talking in terms of the older full-SAPS formulas that had high calcium (non-SP) but you are right, the current version of M1 FS 0W-40, assuming that's available in Germany now, removes that risk from the equation.
Yep. I would probably run ESP X3 0W-40 (Dexos2) or Supercar 0W-40 in this car but if I couldn't find either one, I wouldn't be too worried with an API SP A3/B4 type oil like the FS 0W-40 or PP Euro/Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40.

Yep. I would probably run ESP X3 0W-40 (Dexos2) or Supercar 0W-40 in this car but if I couldn't find either one, I wouldn't be too worried with an API SP A3/B4 type oil like the FS 0W-40 or PP Euro/Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40.
So the European Mobil 1 esp x3 0w40 synthese technology is better then the same but 5w30?

So the European Mobil 1 esp x3 0w40 synthese technology is better then the same but 5w30?
I would say so. It has higher HTHS, carries Porsche C40, and is Porsche factory fill. There's probably not a practical difference, though. Still, if Porsche thought the 5W-30 was better they would have filled the 911 and 718 with those. The 5W-30 does carry C30 but that's used in the VW engines.

I would say so. It has higher HTHS, carries Porsche C40, and is Porsche factory fill.
Any ESP will be fine in that engine, 0W30, 5W30 or 0W40. I personally would go ESP 5W30 in Italy.
Thanks this will definitely save me some €, the lowest temp here where I live it’s 20 F but the car is stored in a garage and used 1-2 times a week

Thanks this will definitely save me some €, the lowest temp here where I live it’s 20 F but the car is stored in a garage and used 1-2 times a week
If you drive it hard or track it the X3 0W-40 is probably better but I really doubt there is much difference for an LT1 engine. The 20 F is no problem for 5W-30.

If you drive it hard or track it the X3 0W-40 is probably better but I really doubt there is much difference for an LT1 engine. The 20 F is no problem for 5W-30.
No the car is only occasionally at woot, my only concern was the wear at cold start, and at high temp, but I never see the oil reach that much higher temp..

20f is no issue. I started engines with 5W40 at some -40. I once started Opel Vectar B at -42 having 10W40 in an engine.
5W30 is already more than that engine needs. I do agree with the above post that if you track the vehicle, I would go 0W40.

No the car is only occasionally at woot, my only concern was the wear at cold start, and at high temp, but I never see the oil reach that much higher temp..
The only concern when it comes to that should be if you track vehicles at high altitudes. But there is not track in Italy that would be considered at high altitude.

Hello, long time reader but decided to post for a final advise, I have a Camaro 2018 2ss with 80k miles changed oil at 4-5k intervals always used Mobil 1 European 5w30 oil till last time in march and switched to Mobil 1 esp 0w40 European formula now I’m due to change again my oil, and was wondering if the 0w40 European formula is really better then the 5w30 since it’s more higher in price the 0w40?is it really worth at cold start like stated from GM?I live in Italy..
The car is occasionally at woot but not much…and my temp oil when cruising it’s around 160-165 fahrenheit..I do have a catch catch can long tube kooks headers and a rotofab cold air intake filter as mods..
Thanks in advance
Mobil 1 0w40 super car is low ash mid saps formula. Comes factory full in new corvettes. Also ESP 0w40 mid saps protection for GPF/DPF.

I run M1 0/40 in my 2020 Acura RDX with 2L turbo. No LSPI and also run the required premium fuel. IMHO premium should be required in a turbo charged engine. Probably would solve that issue

Back